Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question, but...are there any tips for properly or effectively washing a bike other than "lather, rinse, dry and ride"?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only tip , I would have is .. if you have waxed the bike or keep a coat of wax on it ,, don't use S-100 bike cleaner to clean it . It will strip the wax right off it , and if you don't rinse almost as fast as you put it on , it will leave a white residue . I learned the hard way .

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you have access to air a good blow job would help. Get your minds out of the gutter.
If you don't have compressed air a leaf blower works good also.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I cheat

Kit,

I'm not the guy for a detailed good job of cleaning. I do keep my bike reasonably clean.

I often use an aerosol can of cleaner polish. Rinse the bike off to get rid of the grit. I use either Honda Cleaner Polish of Yamahalube Cleaner polish, detailer. They have a little wax and some cleaner. They will clean the wind shield without scratches. I jack up one wheel at a time and spray it, wipe it off while turning the wheel. These polishes have some wax so be carefull about things that get real hot. But,I do use it on my exhaust where it is heat shielded. I keep a can in my bag to clean the windshield on the road. Be careful what kind of cloth you use. Pure cotton or a micro cloth only on the windshield. No polyester or nylon. If the micro cloth touches a hot exhaust you are in big trouble.

For the engine cooling fins I use some WD 40 and a paint brush. Rinse it off before starting the bike.

Dave

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you have access to air a good blow job would help. Get your minds out of the gutter.
If you don't have compressed air a leaf blower works good also.
I use a 29 dollar leaf blower from Home Depot and it works wonders, gets the water out of those hard to reach places. And again...get your minds out of the gutter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The tip I use, I got it from a buddy, is to use a hand wash mitt. It lets you getinto those places that are hard on the fingers and into the spkesof the wheels. I use spray cleaners too but only for little jobs or quickies.
And the BEST chrome polish is........Eagle One.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I use a 29 dollar leaf blower from Home Depot and it works wonders, gets the water out of those hard to reach places. And again...get your minds out of the gutter.
I have air compressor, it blows looong and haaard....ooohhhh!!!!

...just need to be careful not to touch the tip

·
Registered
177 Posts
clay bar once every so often. Get all those nasty contaminates out of your clear coat. Mother's clay bar kit works great, and not over priced. IF you do get it, just cut off a small amount of clay, and ziplock bag the rest. And then the dirty clay, IF not bad at all, ziplock in a different bag for later use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts