Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been riding for a month now and have been cleaning the bike after almost every ride. Clean the windshield and bugs off the front of the bike. I have used wax to clean and polish the chrome and painted parts.

My question is I would like to take it to the car wash and spray it down to get some of the harder to reach parts clean. Rear wheel and misc. black frame that has some dust and grime on it. Is there anything I need to watch for during spray down? Spots I need to avoid at all costs?

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I don't think you need the pressure of a car wash. I think all can be done without ever using the hose, but certainly faster to hose off the really dirty parts while using some cleaner.

As for getting things wet, I try to avoid the elctronics but let's not forget . . . these are machines designed to be used in the rain where everything gets wet (mostly us :).

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use diluted simple green as a "pre-soak" then wash like normal. You can eat off almost any part of my bike most of the time.
Hey Ken448 .. when you get the motor up to temp, I'll take a cheeseburger please. :D

I wash with car wash/wax liquid soap and hand mitt. It is a PIA to hand wash a bike IMHO. But necessary evil. I use an air compressor with a rubber tipped nozzle to blow water out of areas I can't reach with a chamois to dry.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hey Ken448 .. when you get the motor up to temp, I'll take a cheeseburger please. :D

I wash with car wash/wax liquid soap and hand mitt. It is a PIA to hand wash a bike IMHO. But necessary evil. I use an air compressor with a rubber tipped nozzle to blow water out of areas I can't reach with a chamois to dry.
I dry the bottom half of my bikes with a leaf blower. Makes short work of it.

How you want that cheeseburger cooked?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Bikes are made to survive plenty of water and MOST times they do it well, other times water gets in what are supposed to be waterproof connectors and create major headaches for a select few bikes from any company.
Personally for me, I would never take a pressure washer from a car wash and use it on my bike anymore then I would under the hood of my car. if there is a weak link someplace at some connector that is not 100% right, a pressure washer might be able to squeeze some water in there and your headaches will begin, again, for a select few.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts