Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Part of the reason I love my cruiser is the big double thumper that powers it. Nothing like the sound and feel of it chugging away, stretching my arms out on take off and settling into a comfortable lope at 80mp/h on the highway. You can have the high revving sport bikes - nothing beats the torque and rumble of a big v twin.
So True.

Sport bikes sound a lot like these small import cars that kids mod out.
They both sound like a constipated cat.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
I remember as a kid growing up in SoCal how cool the guys on cruisers looked going down the freeway. The Indian Chieftain was my favorite back then. Not a care in the world, just cruising around the valley and stopping to eat along the PCH.
Now I’m an old geezer and still love cruisers, I don’t think the feeling ever goes away. I’ll take being a dinosaur if it means riding with my wife, the grandkids, or even a neighbor, and just getting away from it all feeling the fresh air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
We are dinosaurs?!

no

we are stardust
we are golden

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

·
Registered
359 Posts
Apparently none of you old dinosaurs are willing to admit that not all sportbikes sound like constipated cats/small import cars, nor do they all require you to lay down over the tank, or otherwise feel terribly uncomfortable to ride. No, it's not true that all "sporty" bikes will make your arthritic back snap in the middle, (OK sure, mine has snapped everywhere else, but not in the middle!) Well, I have heard that it's hard to teach an old dinosaur new tricks, but jeez, you guys are a tough sell... you're really dug in!

I explained in an earlier post that I chose my 2014 Honda CB500FA for its completely relaxed, natural upright seating position, and pointed out that not all so-called "sportbikes" are uncomfortable, and I even added some visual aids to back up my statement... seating position diagrams from cycle-ergo.com that show my Honda with a 5'-10" rider sitting quite upright and comfy. Yup, a similar position to when I throw a leg over my V-Star Custom.

Sorry, but that's all I've got. This crippled-up old guy is about to go out for a spin on his V-Star, followed by an equally comfy ride on his "sporty-bike". Wish me luck that my spine won't snap... again! Oh, and did I mention that my "spine-crusher" can travel a whopping 84 miles on an Imperial gallon of fuel? (=70mpg in US gallons)
:wink:
Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Hey Camperbc
I'm glad you like your sport bike. I don't dislike them in any way. They are just not an option for me.
I'm sure your sport bike doesn't sound like a constipated cat. (Probably more like a fish farting under water) :wink:
Please don't take me seriously !!

BTW: beautiful pic with both of your bikes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am not saying there is anything wrong with sport bikes. I know there are different levels. Some ride up some down. I do know that some are categorized as cruisers so you save on insurance. I am old and don't need the excessive hp. I need more of an excessive stool softener.
Hey, I just so happen to have the inside "poop" on an affordable source for quality stool softeners!! Have your people call my people.

BTW, the Honda CB500FA would be a poor choice for the horsepower crowd, as it puts out a modest 47HP... not much different from my 650 V-Star. But having said that, when you want some spirited accelleration/speed, this bike provides more GPM (grins per mile) than most anything else in its class.

Hey Camperbc
I'm glad you like your sport bike. I don't dislike them in any way. They are just not an option for me.
I'm sure your sport bike doesn't sound like a constipated cat. (Probably more like a fish farting under water) :wink: Please don't take me seriously !! BTW: beautiful pic with both of your bikes.
Actually, it sounds more like a very refined (and quiet!) sewing machine. (hmmm, come to think of it, it is kinda what I would expect a fish fart to sound like!) In any case, a very quiet bike... my wife never hears me pulling right up to the back door!

Glen

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Oh trust me, we pay. By waiting 12 + hours in emergency for anything that isn't life threatening. Bring a lunch.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh trust me, we pay. By waiting 12 + hours in emergency for anything that isn't life threatening. Bring a lunch.

Same here. If you're not in cardiac arrest or having a baby, it's just take a ticket and wait.
No matter how much pain your in. If you have a kidney stone you have to get an x-ray irregardless if you know whats wrong. Too many dopers coming in for free morphine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
NorthernRider, it depends where you live. In the 12 years that we've been in Newfoundland, we have never experienced any wait times... have always gotten right in to see the doctor immediately, whether it's serious or otherwise. And we normally get same-day CT scans, MRI's, bone scans, etc. The last time we were left waiting to see a doctor was many years ago, when we were living in Ontario. Here in Newfoundland we can directly email our family doctor, and he always gets us in when it's most convenient for us.

Glen

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, the good news is that not all sportbikes are "lay-down-over-the-tank" bikes...

I can see your point about not stretching out over the tank. And while I like your Honda, that is far from a cruiser IMHO. Where are the floor boards? Where do you mount your bags? Not even a decent cargo rack? No decent wind screen is going to mount on that. And personally, I can't deal with that fart can exhaust angle.

I don't mean to dis your bike, but it is still a sport bike, not a cruiser. Certainly isn't going to ever be mistaken for an HD, which for better or worse, is pretty much the definition of a cruiser style bike.

I read lots of speculation about why Yamaha is dropping the cruisers, but I have to come back to the opinion that HD has that market sewn up and Yamaha got tired of sucking hind tit in the US market. Meanwhile, I have a dream. I dream that someday, riding around town, I will actually see another V-star on the street. I've seen a thousand HD's that I had to look closely to see if maybe it would be my lucky day and actually have a sighting of a Star. So far, nope.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can see your point about not stretching out over the tank. And while I like your Honda, that is far from a cruiser IMHO. Where are the floor boards? Where do you mount your bags? Not even a decent cargo rack? No decent wind screen is going to mount on that. And personally, I can't deal with that fart can exhaust angle.
Darn it, you say that my Honda CB500FA isn't a cruiser? Now you tell me! (I hope I know the difference, as I ride both. Do you?) Floorboards and windscreen on a naked roadster? Kinda defeats the purpose. But your best one of all has to be your inability to cope "with that fart can exhaust angle". (I laughed so hard at this, I think I even peed a little!)

don't mean to dis your bike, but it is still a sport bike, not a cruiser. Certainly isn't going to ever be mistaken for an HD, which for better or worse, is pretty much the definition of a cruiser style bike.
Huh? You're still saying it's "not a cruiser", and it "isn't going to ever be mistaken for a Harley"? Jeez, I was kinda hoping it would have morphed by now, but no such luck. I do appreciate that you didn't dis my bike though, bro!

read lots of speculation about why Yamaha is dropping the cruisers, but I have to come back to the opinion that HD has that market sewn up and Yamaha got tired of sucking hind tit in the US market. Meanwhile, I have a dream. I dream that someday, riding around town, I will actually see another V-star on the street. I've seen a thousand HD's that I had to look closely to see if maybe it would be my lucky day and actually have a sighting of a Star. So far, nope.
That wretched hind tit... yup, Yamaha got tired of all the sucking. Oh, I almost forgot... your peculiar dream of perhaps one day seeing another V-Star on the street...? I live in one of the most secluded places on the planet, and with our sparse population (1.4 people per sq/km) I still manage to see at least a few other V-Stars every time I am out. Do you by any chance live under a rock?

Glen

·
Registered
159 Posts
your peculiar dream of perhaps one day seeing another V-Star on the street...? I live in one of the most secluded places on the planet, and with our sparse population (1.4 people per sq/km) I still manage to see at least a few other V-Stars every time I am out. Do you by any chance live under a rock?
Definitely not under a rock here in So Cal. Land of fruits and nuts. Not sure why there aren't many Stars here, you would think something named Star would feel just right for the Hollywood crowd. All I can guess is, there is lots of money here, so cost isn't an issue, and the HD on the side of your ride is thought of as a status symbol. Ever seen a celebrity riding anything else? And if fitting in with celebrities isn't your cup of tea, there is the whole gansta image that HD is happy to promote, and the other half of our populace is happy to pretend to be.

Obviously I'm not part of that crowd or mentality. Either one.

No, I'm sticking with my opinion that Yamaha gave up trying to compete in the cruiser market, at least in North America. Couldn't compete with HD, then Indian comes along and steals even more attention.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As an aside, Yamaha managed the V-Star line out of Cypress CA, which is 13 miles from my home. Yamaha Music and Audio divisions are 9 miles from my home. That facility is in Buena Park.

They couldn't even win election in their home county. :smile:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
As an aside, Yamaha managed the V-Star line out of Cypress CA, which is 13 miles from my home. Yamaha Music and Audio divisions are 9 miles from my home. That facility is in Buena Park.

They couldn't even win election in their home county. :smile:

My wife grew up in Buena Park. I've visited there a few times

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hat's off to all those on two wheels! I applaud anyone on any bike. It takes guts these days. Camperbc, great pics,
And great point about a naked street bike!

Me, I love the look and feel of a cruiser. Can't afford a Harley and I like to ride more than wrench. I'm only 5' tall, can't throw a leg over any sport bike I've met yet. Just hope parts will be available for as long as I can still ride... Yep I'm a Yamasaurus...🐲

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm with Stratsurvivor, count me in as a Yamasaurus! I fit the demographics of the survey, 60 years old, glasses, etc., but I've always liked cruisers from day one. I tried the Suzukis, the Kawasakis, and the Honda cruisers, but the V-Star 650 fit me like a glove, and when I upgraded to my 2012 950T, HEAVEN! It does sadden me that the cruiser market has dwindled, especially the Star cruisers [I was thinking about the V-Star Deluxe just the other day], and here in southern Maryland the dealerships aren't carrying many cruisers [other than used Harleys because you can still find plenty of them]. I'll ride my steel horse til I can't ride no more and enjoy every minute of it!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts