Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
For me, as a mechanic, no new bikes appeal to me due to the technology. I like simplicity, and modern bikes have thrown that out the window with fuel injection, electronic instruments, ABS, electronically adjustable suspension on some models, etc.. Save that crap for the overpriced, 4-wheeled rolling Tupperware. And speaking of price, bikes aren't exactly cheap anymore either.

My Roadliner was FI - it worked well, but when I first got it from the previous owner in AL, it ran super lean on the crap fuel up here in MA. No way for me to add more fuel! Not being able to repair something myself without spending a pile of money is infuriating. Cost me $90 for a guy to dyno tune the low end leanness out. $90 for something I'm more than capable of doing myself. Aggravating!

I have zero desire for any new bike. I'll keep riding my '74 RD350 until I can't. Carburetors and points, no valves, timing chains/belts, or camshafts. Starts one kick every time with no E-start. 3 kicks if it sits all winter. Put modern brakes, lighting, suspension, and tires on it, and hopped up the engine to make some killer torque for a 350cc machine. I love it.

My passion used to be off-roading, but with the idiots we have running the state of MA, that hobby has become nearly outlawed. I just recently sold my '05 Sportsman 800 that I bought brand new, and bought a paramotor. No license and no registration is extremely appealing. We'll give aviation a try. If I enjoy it enough, the RD might go as well. No idiots backing out of their driveways without looking, up in the sky. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Harley really doesn't have the cruiser market sewn up. Honda quit making the VTX also. I think that they
are trying to redesign cruisers. But us old farts are not buying it! We'll hang on to the old as long as we can. We don't like change. Damn internet.
The biggest benefit of the large Hardly Ableson market share is that their customer base can't spend ALL their money on meth.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
bpounds, that’s the image I grew up on in SoCal too. In my neighborhood, Honda reigned supreme if you couldn’t afford an HD, which of course we couldn’t. Even the gangsta wannabes couldn’t afford to ride them, they were just posers. When the Honda CB750 debuted, people were scrambling to their Honda dealerships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Bman950! If people are looking, there are a mess of vstars for sale up here in western Maryland right now... And if you're ever headed for the Maryland mountains, look me up. I'm about 3 miles from Rocky Gap State park.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I think there are two reasons that keeps HD ahead of the pack in cruiser sales.

Harley has done a good job in creating a persona that attracts a few of the younger crowd. I think some folks believe that if they ride a Harley they will be perceived as a tough biker dude.
Younger folks don't appreciate the concept of value so they buy a HD. Their attitude is: I don't care how much it costs, I just want it. Lots of younger folks have short attention spans and after a few years when those high payments keep coming, they look to sell.. In my neck of the woods there are many 2 - 3 year old HD's for sale on Craigslist.

HD has name brand recognition. When a person looks to buy something that they know little about they tend to gravitate towards the big name in the business. (in the early 90's when PC's 1st came out, many folks said I wouldn't buy anything but an IBM). Lets face, HD invented the cruiser and everybody else copied them. HD is the big name in the business.

Since our generation (those of us aged to perfection) are the vast majority that appreciate cruisers, I believe in the next 10 - 15 years, us and cruiser bike will go the way of the dinosaur. We will be extinct !

So keep those bikes in good shape and enjoy them while you can.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Lots of 1100's for sale around here. Probably 50 within an hours drive. Even more 650's. Not too many unmolested, and I always look for those first. Also lots of very low miles bikes, needing carb work.
Very interesting !

Here I see quite a good many Honda Shadows, Very few Suzuki's, Kawasaki & Yamaha, but a ton of HD's.

If there are a total of 25 combined Metric bikes listed, there are 150 HD's listed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Harley has done a good job in creating a persona that attracts a few of the younger crowd. I think some folks believe that if they ride a Harley they will be perceived as a tough biker dude.
Younger folks don't appreciate the concept of value so they buy a HD.
When is the last time you saw an ad on TV for a cruiser other than Harley? Or pretty much any other bike for that matter?

·
Registered
159 Posts
When is the last time you saw an ad on TV for a cruiser other than Harley? Or pretty much any other bike for that matter?
Pretty much never. Saw Indian ads when they re-entered the market, but years ago obviously. HD is running one now, offering a payment of $189mo IIRC. I laughingly said to the wife, "heck, we could afford that!" She didn't think it was nearly as funny, but we seem to have different senses of humor.

And not only HD sponsored ads. Progressive Insurance, and others too, aggressively sell MC insurance, and all they ever show is a rider on an HD. Even Flo rides a Hardly Ableson. Loved that metaphor BTW. :grin:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I saw an ad for a big Harley sale online so I thought I'd click on it just to see what it would cost. Here in Canada a bone stock Road King (no Stage 1) would run 27k and change, with a low monthly payment of only $494 through HD credit. Sign me up! lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like to ride and enjoy taking trips on the back roads of our great country. I do not like making payments and working to make them. I also do not like paying a Hundred dollars, which is where HD comes from by the way, every time I need something or want something for my bike. I am sure their bikes are good bikes but for me not worth 2-3 times the money. Love my Yamaha and my Honda. Like the Harley but it also comes with payments attached. So if your working to pay for the Harley Ill be thinking about you as I ride the back roads.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
HD has gone a good job at marketing and stock a lot of parts in their stores I remember an early commercial ad for Honda which states, ‘you meet the nicest people on a Honda’. I’ve seen one commercial for Vstars, and it was briefly aired. I don’t know why other manufacturers don’t go up against HD and let the stats speak for themselves, and yes, nearly all of the motorcycle insurance ads feature HD’s. Kinda makes you wonder. If you are confident enough in what you’re manufacturing, and let the stats speak for themselves.
I recently did a local search online just to see what local dealerships were selling. The top three out of Chattanooga ALL had multiple used HD’s galore. I did a price comparison to used Vstars, and consistently the prices on used HD’s averaged 3-5k more than the Vstars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work with a lot of millennials. So I'm usually the old man of the crowd. So, at a young and spry 40, thanks to everyone here!

I just got my (used) v star 1300. Maybe I'm part of the problem? I have a strong dislike of buying new vehicles. I just cannot rationalize to myself the financial hit. So if you guys hang on another decade or two for when I'm ready for my 1800 touring machine, I'd appreciate that.

Like I said, I just got mine. I sat on everything that stood still long enough, including a poor mechanic who happened to be taking a nap in the wrong place. Everything I could test ride, I did. Kept 8 grand in an envelope for weekend CL test rides. CBR 600, every Ninja below a liter, Harleys, dual sports, adv, KLR650 (which I so wanted to love), and a couple UJMs. The cruiser was what was both comfortable for me and lent itself to the riding I like to do.

I learned on a sportier bike. And there was a time when I thought dragging a peg on a mountain road was as much fun as you could have with your clothes on. Even today there's a fun little thrill in throwing sparks from the floorboards, holding the board in a perfect arc around the bend.

However, with my receding hairline comes the realization that in that curve, 30 can feel as fun as 55. A different fun to be sure, but just as valid. Also, around the time my hairline started going, my knees started disliking being folded up like that for too long. My legs do worse the more aggressive the angle. Back has always been fine. As have my wrists. It's just been my knees.

That said, I wouldn't mind picking up an older sporty looking 250 just to beat the tar out of and for those occasions when you feel like doing something stupid.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
"I have a strong dislike of buying new vehicles. I just cannot rationalize to myself the financial hit." I was on the opposite side I didn't want a bike that someone didn't break in correctly. But after reading multiple threads about the break in not being as important as I thought I am now agreeing with you.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
one of the things that keeps the used-cruiser bike market so flooded with low mileage bikes at low prices, is a lot of people spend years thinking about getting a motorcycle, then they finally go buy a new bike like a Vstar

and they discover either they dont really like it, or riding scares the hell out of them because they did not spend the extra $250 to take the MSF beginners course, they dont really have control over the motorcycle, and when they have to take a corner fast or stop quickly or swerve to miss a pot hole, they feel like the bike is taking them for a ride, not the other way around.

The guy I got my Royal Star from had the bike for 8 years and only added 2000 miles to the odo.

The guy I got my VS650 from bought it new, had it for 9 years, and only put 9000 miles on it.

Clearly they both loved "being" a motorcycle guy, they loved owning a motorcycle

they just didnt like riding them

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
KCW, that reminds me of a Judge I worked with back in north MS. He was extremely book smart, yet he wasn’t graced with common sense.
He was telling me one day about buying a new HD, said he’d always wanted one so he did.
He’d had it for three years, I invited him to ride with our weekend group and get out and stretch his legs. He said oh no, I don’t ride it, cause I don’t know how and my wife won’t let me. He said I just clean it up occasionally, and show it to my friends when they come over. It won’t even start now. So I asked him if he had a 20k toy on display in his garage? Oh no he said, closer to 28k, but my friends think I’m cool!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
^ the sad thing is he thinks its an investment, that an old harley will go up in price

see the ads on craigslist all the time: lots of chrome, stage 47E kit, $30,000 "invested" selling for $14,000....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quite a few around here too. Mine was listed in April and I didn't sell it until July.
Same down here. We have a lot of bike shops and there are always a bunch of cruiser rice burners for sale. In the case of my nearest yamaha/honda shop, a bunch is defined as around 15 or so used hondas, suzieQ's, and yamaha cruisers. All appear to be well cared for and frequently covered in leather front to back. Some of them very low miles. There are always a handful of HDs, too.

I've been sorely tempted, but never test rode anything, mostly because I'm content with the flawless and frugal operation of my 9fiddy and I'm not ready to mess with contentment. Also, I'm afraid the war dept. will draw the line at two bikes in the garage forcing her car out into the TX sun. I've got a good one, I better try and hang onto her. The wife, I mean, not the bike. But the bike, too.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts