Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I also do not like paying a Hundred dollars, which is where HD comes from by the way,
Good one. I'm gonna try to remember that. Try being the operative word there.

I admit that it was HD that tempted me to get back on a bike after 40 years. Didn't take much shopping to turn my head, though.
1. weight. I ain't no spring chicken. I wanted to start with something lighter than anything HD builds.
2. price. Basically same thing. Something much lighter than HD which is way overpriced, IMHO.
3. dependability. As someone on this thread has already said, I wanted to ride, not wrench -- or sit on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder. If you are confident enough in what you’re manufacturing, and let the stats speak for themselves.
I remember back when Honda and Datsun started trying harder for some of the American market. In my part of the world there was some serious "Buy American" pushback. I imagine pushback was even heavier around Detroit.

HD is the iconic American bike. I wonder if the asian manufacturers took that old lesson into consideration when deciding whether or not to advertise their cruisers here? Maybe they figured price, quality, engineering, performance, dependability, etc, etc, etc would do all the talking for them without the cultural backlash?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
..when Honda and Datsun started trying harder for some of the American market. .. there was some serious "Buy American" pushback. I imagine pushback was even heavier around Detroit.
I lived in Buffalo NY in the 60s and 70s. There was a Ford stamping plant just south of the city by Bethlehem Steel, and a Chevy engine plant just north of the city.

Back then if you showed up for work in a foreign car and parked in the company lot at one of those three factories, your car would be trashed 8 hours later. I mean totaled. The security guards saw nothing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
one of the things that keeps the used-cruiser bike market so flooded with low mileage bikes at low prices, is a lot of people spend years thinking about getting a motorcycle, then they finally go buy a new bike like a Vstar and they discover either they dont really like it, or riding scares the hell out of them
Very true. Not just bikes, either. True of boats, planes, ... Lots of people leap before they look and us cheap bastards reap the rewards.

I do have a lot of guilt about the Vstar line going away. I never bought a new bike.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The area I live in USED to have two claims to fame: furniture capital of world & Hosiery capital of the world. The hosiery industry had their annual show here and so did the furniture mfg.'s.

In the 60's & 70's the textile industry was booming but started to feel the pinch from imports so they started a big "Buy American " push. You could read signs everywhere "Buy American". Textile mfg.'s gave all their employees free T shirts with the slogan on them. Problem was, if you drove thru the plant employee parking lot, 75% of their vehicles were imports.

I guess it's true we live in a global economy. I don't think too many folks care about where something is made anymore.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I took a look at the place I bought my 950 from. They are a Honda Motorsports dealer.. Most of their used bikes are HD's. I did a look on Craigslist and not too many V stars for sale in my area...but took a look on FB and there were a bunch of them...Never see them for sale in the local free paper...Maybe that's what makes me a dinosaur...I still look in the paper...LOL however my local paid subscription paper is delivered by iPad everyday...So I must be a dinosaur that somewhat embraces technology.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I work with a lot of millennials. So I'm usually the old man of the crowd. So, at a young and spry 40, thanks to everyone here!

I just got my (used) v star 1300. Maybe I'm part of the problem? I have a strong dislike of buying new vehicles. I just cannot rationalize to myself the financial hit. So if you guys hang on another decade or two for when I'm ready for my 1800 touring machine, I'd appreciate that.

I learned on a sportier bike. And there was a time when I thought dragging a peg on a mountain road was as much fun as you could have with your clothes on. Even today there's a fun little thrill in throwing sparks from the floorboards, holding the board in a perfect arc around the bend.

However, with my receding hairline comes the realization that in that curve, 30 can feel as fun as 55. A different fun to be sure, but just as valid. Also, around the time my hairline started going, my knees started disliking being folded up like that for too long. My legs do worse the more aggressive the angle. Back has always been fine. As have my wrists. It's just been my knees.
Exactly my thoughts. Also, I drive truck for a living, and have seen too many close calls & accidents. I drive a cruiser bike in a more deliberate fashion, planning my route, mindful of potential hazards & routes. Also, I like to be noticed, not in a vain way, but to make other drivers aware of my presence.

I have a 2007 Roadliner, but would like to tighten up the suspension a bit, maybe a Vance Hines 2-1 system & programmer. Other than that, this Dino would see it as perfect.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I have a 2007 Roadliner... would like to tighten up the suspension a bit.
are you aware the rear suspension is adjustable - big spanner wrench on the monoshock?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I lived in Buffalo NY in the 60s and 70s. There was a Ford stamping plant just south of the city by Bethlehem Steel, and a Chevy engine plant just north of the city.

Back then if you showed up for work in a foreign car and parked in the company lot at one of those three factories, your car would be trashed 8 hours later. I mean totaled. The security guards saw nothing.
I have zero trouble believing that. Hard to believe their was a second or third offender, though.

I don't know for a fact, but I imagine in those years you ran the same risk at the GM assembly plant over in Arlington, TX. The Ford plant in Dallas closed the doors in 1970. Every car that came off the line got a window sticker that said "Built in Texas by Texans". I seriously doubt anyone drove away from the factory that day in a foreign car.

I *think* I've seen "Built in Texas" stickers on the Toyota trucks built in San Antonio. The times they are a changin.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've noticed that the dealers that sell metric bikes, also sell the heck out of SxS and ATV/UTV. And it looks to me, from the outside, that they make a lot more money off of those than they do on their 2 wheel stuff. So as far as cruiser bikes, I think a lot of disposable income from the younger generation goes toward those instead. Not to mention the wave runners, but that's a totally different category.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bpounds, a lot is regional. They sell those here too, but in the heavily metro Capitol area, there aren't that many places to ride offroad.

But trends come and go. Growing up, there were Harleys (which also includes Indians and the odd one off customs), weird Euro bikes, and UJMs. And dirt bikes, if you happened to live near somewhere to use it.

The leaning back, feet forward, torquey Vs, and relaxed rides aren't going anywhere. It might not look the same (Honda, I'm looking at you), but I believe the ride will be familiar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why do you think Harley came out with the new semi-sport bike models , we are getting old and the millennials want sport bikes.
I got my first bike in 1966 and it was a Cushman Eagle with a foot clutch and 2 speed tank shift. I was hooked on cruisers young.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In my opinion you dont hardly ever see a Gold Wing anymore. Still a lot of Harleys and a lot of Harleys for sale. Cruisers as well as all motorcycles in general are less popular. I have gone all the way down to a V star 250 cause I'm too old to handle the 800 plus CC bikes. Still riding since I was 12. Seventy one now.
Last time we visited the Honda dealership there was a beautiful Gold Wing sitting there with a "SOLD" sign on it, and just for fun I asked the salesman what that particular bike would cost "out-the-door". He says, "well the guy got a pretty sweet deal on it... the total cost with freight, PDI, 15% sales tax, admin fees, etc... was only $47,000." (CAD) Only, he says! I think this may have something to do with why we don't see many of 'em these days. That's about what we recently paid for our brand-new, top-of-the-line, fully-loaded AWD SUV, for Pete's sake!

Slowlane44, the V-Star 250 is an awesome bike, and I've always been kinda surprised that we don't see more of them on the road. I almost bought one new in 2014, but then I was able to work out a great price on a new 2014 V-Star Custom (650) for not much more than what the 250 was going for! I know that I would have been quite happy had I gotten the 250, though I am still loving the 650 Custom to this day... in fact I just got back in from another ride around my little island paradise this evening, and it never ceases to put a grin on my face! Enjoy your V-Star 250; it's a great bike! And Kudos to you for still getting out there on two wheels in your 70's. I'm just a spring chicken, at 57!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
554 Posts
I got my first bike in 1966 and it was a Cushman Eagle with a foot clutch and 2 speed tank shift. I was hooked on cruisers young.
A neighbor had an old (1960?) eagle. His son and I were about 12, I think. His dad actually let him drive it around the neighborhood (it was a really small town) and the nearby farms and woods. Three of us used to take turns beating the hell out of it. Never managed to break it or ourselves. I just had to stay out of sight of my mom. She told me if she caught me on it, she would break my head. I don't think she was being ironical.

Damn that thing was fun.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our dealership base has pretty much been bought up by the local Billionaire offspring to the point that the survivors are probably operating as a tax writeoff. Displaying far more side by sides than bikes and holding the line on pricing of their used bikes to the point that they sit on the floor for years. The megadealer in town caters to the Euro sport bike crowd and bought up the independent Indian dealer as well having the only HD dealer. With the higher profit margins of these, marketing of the metrics are being brushed aside, particularly in the cruiser class.
Without a lifetime achievement award status symbol Ultra Classic, much as the saying goes here in Devoslandia: if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much

61 - 79 of 79 Posts