Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just wondering if there is anyone that has a 650 Classic that feels like the springs in the clutch are to weak.
I’ve had 2 650 Classic one was a 2007 the other is a 2003 Both have a very easy clutch they don’t slip but I feel that they could looking to maybe make a change in the clutch pack and or the springs. I’m looking for some thoughts about this. The one I’ve still got for training my son-in-law is the 2003 and I’m sure that buy the time I am done doing that the clutch might be shot. Anyone else thinking that it’s to easy and has replaced there’s would like to know what you put in and if it made it feel stronger than the original one. I don’t want to make it harder for them to change gears or have clutch grab at stops.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Ive never heard of anyone complaining that the clutch in a 650 (or any Vstar bike) was too soft or slipping

unless they were reving the crap out of the engine and slipping the clutch to spin the back tire, or put non-motorcycle oil in the engine causing the clutch to slip

no offense intended but if you think your son in law will wear out the clutch while you teach him to ride it, have him take the MSF course- its only about $300, way cheaper than replacing the clutch

the clutch in a motorcycle should last at least 100,000 miles if properly used, its in an oil bath, you normally slip the friction zone while riding slow (below 3mph) and its designed for that

but if you are going to mod the bike up to 80HP and ride it like a Yamaha R1, all bets are off.

The thing that new riders typically complain bout on the 650 clutch is the level is too steep already: the friction zone is very small compared to the honda Rebel 250 they use in the MSF beginners course - you have to slip the clutch on the 650 by feel (pressure) not distance of movement

there is a modified clutch lever you can get that makes the friction zone even wider, making the feel on the lever even softer - but most people get use to the narrow friction zone on the stock lever in a few weeks, so the mod is not really necessary.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He’s in rolled in it and will be in class as spring gets here also the clutch doesn’t slip it’s just to easy to pull compared to my other 8 bikes I’ve had in the last year. Was just looking for a better feel at the clutch handle seems very weak as with my other Yamaha 650 classic. The 1100 classic has a much better feel and better friction zone feel. I was just wondering if there is a way to just get a little more pressure feel.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy the way the MSF Class for Ohio residents is $50.00 but they spread it out to three days now. I’m just in the beginning stages of teaching him to ride he’s never driven a clutch car or motorcycle before has been doing quite well so far just didn’t want to send a new be to class with out some instructions and time in the seat.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I took the course in Columbus. It is a great class. Hard to get into at times depending on your location. They spend a bunch of time working the friction zone. So much in fact that my hand was sore the next day from squeeze and release, squeeze and release...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes was the hardest 30 miles I’ve ever put on a motorcycle lol. We’ve been working on the friction zone for awhile now he’s got it pretty good but still needs some more time learning not to stall experience is the goal here I just think the soft clutch feel throws him off a bit. I won’t be changing it out as I don’t want to fix whats not broken was just hopping for maybe thought on some performance springs to get rid of that weak feeling that it has.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the course in Columbus. It is a great class. Hard to get into at times depending on your location. They spend a bunch of time working the friction zone. So much in fact that my hand was sore the next day from squeeze and release, squeeze and release...
And are you still in the Columbus Ohio area there in Tiffin northeast Ohio area.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. for now...Wife and I have talked about moving a little west of Columbus.
My wife retires in June and we will be making decisions about moving ourselve. Probably won’t leave the area just want a place on a lake. And a place that’s easier to keep up with.
Maybe a bigger garage for more toys the two wheel kind.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
when I took the class on the first day on the bikes the instructor asked "how many have never rode a motorcycle?

out of 30 people 10 raised their hands (holycrap!)

How many people have never driven a vehicle with a clutch?

7 people put their hand up, 4 of them were women. I thought this is going to suck!

20 minutes later everyone was riding across the lot and turning around and riding back

the instructors were excellent

everyone passed 3 days later

to some extent having experience with a clutch in a car is counterproductive to learning to ride a motorcycle
because a car has a dry disk clutch, and you can easily smoke it by letting it slip too long

the wet clutch in a motorcycle is oil cooled, and you really have to be determined to cook it

you cant let it slip while creeping up a hill at 1mph, and nothing bad happens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts