Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weekend before last, the wife and I were out at lunch with some fellow riders. We both ride, we've both taken the MSF course, she's been riding since April or so. We live in a no helmet state where a leather vest is about the most protection most people wear.

Coming home from that lunch with fellow riders it was about 6:30pm and my wife happened to be the unlucky rider who collided with a deer. She's fine now, but it did take its toll.

Nothing could of been done, she was going 55mph, the posted speed limit down a two lane highway with woods on both sides. A big buck just decided it was time to cross the road, stopped right in front of her. She hit him dead on, bike and her flipped, bike skid, as did she. A broken collar bone (now I know is called a clavicle :wink:), fractured ribs, brused lung, kidney, and liver, all on the right side.

Luckily she was wearing full gear. Full face modular helmet, padded riding jacket, hoodie, thermal top, t-shirt, jeans, long johns, leather gloves, boots. Only visible damage was a scuff on her knee, and that was like a 'rug burn' from her pants, not asphalt.

So if you're in a no helmet state, and gear isn't something you do. Just keep in mind, no matter if you've been 'accident free' for 50 years, you can't predict a deer, or anything else. Think about wearing it, it works.

The road went through her jacket, the hoodie, the t-shirt, but not the thermal top. In the pic, the hole is behind the neck, but only because it got pulled, all of that was her shoulder. The right side of the helmet, would have been her whole side of her face, from nose to ear.

Careful out there guys, deer season, in the rut. We decided no more riding at night for us.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,388 Posts
I'm with 98 vstar, so glad it wasn't any worse and she heals up quickly. Another point in wearing your gear. Tell her were thinking of her.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Your wife's injuries sound painful, wishing her a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
about 20 years ago i hit one just in front of the hind quarters and cut it right in half. i was doing around 50mph ,i wasn't injured but the bike suffered a busted headlight and a slightly twisted fork it was a 1966 triumph TR6. i was able to ride it home slowly. it happened so fast i didn't know what i hit until i walked up the road to see. it was pretty gory. my guardian angel was working overtime that night for sure. i was also in full gear that night which probably helped saved me from injury also. glad the bike i have now has the passing lamps to light up the sides of the road.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Mr. Schaefer. I hope that her recovery is fast and complete including her attitude about riding.

I live in deer country also and when I ride at night, which is seldom, I slow way down. I figure if I get one it will be at a reduced speed. Augie

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about 20 years ago i hit one just in front of the hind quarters and cut it right in half.
Its funny, at our lunch get together that day, one guy said he did the same thing, a buddy and him were riding, his buddy cut right through a deer at 80mph, nothing happened at all, they shrugged and kept riding.

I think the difference with her accident was the buck was huge, I think her windshield area hit the deers chest/side, I think he was tall enough the tire went under him. Another factor, she was on a Suzuki S40 (Savage), its like 381lbs.

But ya her disposition is great. She says she doesn't remember it at all, so she's not fearful about riding and ready to get back on when she can. Although, we were out the other night going to walmart at night, and saw a deer on the side of the road, both of us had that second of panic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm very very glad your wife is ok except for the few injuries. I'm an EMT in Ohio and I once had this patient that was hit by a car while he was on his Harley. He didn't have any safety gear on and if he would've at least wore a helmet he would've walk away unscathed. Wearing safety gear or at least a helmet could possibly save you from injuries or your life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All the best to your wife! Sorry it happened!
When I was young I had an older friend who rode(what got me into it), and Il always remember what he told me once:
"Always dress for the fall, not the ride" ...... case and point
Just think, some have to worry about moose!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts