Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha All, (TL;DR will be at bottom)

Here’s the situation,
About 2 months ago, somebody unsuccessfully stole my 2002 Yamaha v-star 650. They put it in neutral walked it 2 blocks down the street and tried to “Hotwire” it. But they didn’t know what they were doing. They cut some wires by the front fork and braided them altogether in one strand. SMH.
I got the bike back but haven’t been able to get it to start since.
Here’s what I did:
1. Braided the cut wires back together to their corresponding color wire (see photo attached). This restored power to headlight, brake light and turn signals but nothing happened when you pressed the ignition button.
2. I suspected the starting solenoid was bad since I didn’t hear it click so I jumped it with a screwdriver. This makes it sound like the bike is turning but not firing (no pop or anything just turning.)
3. I drained the gas. And removed the gas tank
4. I sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs and covered them with a rag.
5. I removed the air filter and found that it had oil in its case. I believed this to be because of too much oil in the crankcase. So I cleaned out the air filter and box going to the carb.
6. I drained the oil, here’s where I feel really stupid: there was almost 7qts of oil in the bike (supposed to be 2.75). New oil filter and filled up with 2.75qts of Mobil 1 motorcycle 20w 50. (The excess oil was because the bike has an oil leak and I was paranoid about putting oil in it. I know. I’m an idiot. But it’s worth mentioning that the bike actually ran perfectly fine prior to it being stolen.)
7. I replaced the sparks plugs
8. I put everything back together, with new gas in the tank
9. I sprayed some starting fluid in the air box and jumped the solenoid hoping for the best
10. Nothing. Same as before. Crank but no fire. Bike was in neutral with the kickstand down.
11. I put the battery on a trickle charge and tried again the next day. But now, the lights don’t come on at all, no headlight no instrument lights. That development completely confounded me.

Sidenote: I found out today that I could jump the solenoid and the bike would crank even if the key wasn’t in the ignition. Is this normal?

TL;DR:
Bike was stolen and wires cut now it won’t start. Replaced spark plugs, cleaned out air and fuel filters, replaced gas. Starter solenoid is bad, tried jumping it with a screwdriver, cranks but won’t start. Battery is charged but no lights come on and still just cranks but won’t start.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,593 Posts
Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You need to take the manual and trace every wire involved with starting the bike.
You will see that one of the wires on the starter solenoid also connects to the rectifier. Using a screwdriver will turn the starter, but you need more then that to get it to fire. you need every wire connect and correct.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As mentioned...check the fuses if you have not yet done that.
Once you get it starting and running, butt the wires together, soldier the connection and use heat shrink tubing over the connections. Wire caps will come loose and allow moisture to seep in.
Not sure why you did all the gas / oil work first. Always do the least expensive check / repair that is specific to your issue first, then work up to the more costly / labor intensive items.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
there is a chance when thief twisted those wires together he back fed 12V into the output of something, like the ECM, and either blew a fuse, or blew the module out

you can download that manual Les linked to, and on the last pages you can find the wires that were twisted together, and see where they go on the schematic.

electronics have three kinds of connections:

the 12V power and ground that supply the energy to run

inputs from sensors and switches

outputs that turn things on or off (like the headlights, the ignition coil...)

if the 12V power in those twisted wires was connected to one of the outputs of the ECM, it could have blown an internal transistor that drives that output wire....

Reactions: lesblank

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
BTW, the 650 either has a steering head all the way to left lock position
or there are a set of tabs for putting a padlock on it- keeping someone from turning the handlebars straight

that will keep a snatch-and-grab thief from pushing your bike away again....

Reactions: Kmess15

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies so far. I did check all the fuses beforehand and they are all fine. (Sorry I forgot to mention that in original post.)
I should have a chance to work on the bike again tomorrow and I will update what happens or any new developments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts