Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I just noticed that on my windshield is stamped with Silverado on it. Having owned Big Bertha for a little over a month. I thought I owned a different model and one of the previous owners had installed the windshield. I am sure there will additional info that I will learn the longer I own B.B.

All this brings me to the reason for the thread .... What have you learned about your bike that nixes (corrects) what you previously thought.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I found another. Duh! with the bike this weekend.
Every so often I'd hear "ting. ting. ting. ting." Could not figure it out.
Was going to bring it to the shop this coming weekend and have them find it.
Look at the pictures & you'll see why.

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two reasons I think it was put on.

1 - A family of one of the previous owners gave it a good luck charm.

OR

2 - It rattles at frequency that the deer and other animals will stay away.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I got dizzy looking at your photos and I passed out..

Are those tabs for putting a master lock on your steering head?

If you could lock the steering when the wheel is straight, that would be very useful for jacking the bike up and working on it.

I cant think of anything on my Classic 650 that surprised me...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know about the deer part. Usually see some cheezy whistle things that are supposed to keep the deer away, don't know how well they actually work. For the bell, always heard it is a Guardian angel bell ( don't ride faster than your GA can, so they can keep up or find you, etc) and the recent is a Gremlin bell to keep bad things from happening. I can just imagine scratching your head trying to figure out the noise haha.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got dizzy looking at your photos and I passed out..

Are those tabs for putting a master lock on your steering head?

If you could lock the steering when the wheel is straight, that would be very useful for jacking the bike up and working on it.

I cant think of anything on my Classic 650 that surprised me...
Sorry for the rotated pictures. Any idea on how to rotate after posting?

It is for locking the bike with the wheel turned to the left only. Not straight. I can see how that would be beneficial.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here's your answer for the guardian bell :

Explanation of a "Guardian Bell" | Cruiser Community

And FYI you can rotate your pictures before posting by simply right clicking on them and than click rotate clockwise in the menu until it's in the right spot ..than drag them to post them :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And FYI you can rotate your pictures before posting by simply right clicking on them and than click rotate clockwise in the menu until it's in the right spot ..than drag them to post them /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Even when posting from my android phone?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have never heard the pot hole side of that, makes sense though. All the bikers I have talked to down here in the south call them road demon bells. They are quick to tell you that the sole purpose is to keep the road demons off, and 99% swear that they work. I even had one old crazy eyed Harley rider tell me that before he received a bell, he had to "kick the demons off". One other thing I have heard as well is that you are not supposed to buy one for yourself, it must be a gift from someone else.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
...One other thing I have heard as well is that you are not supposed to buy one for yourself, it must be a gift from someone else....

wow, what a guilt trip!

so if you know someone who has a motorcycle, and you dont buy them a dingleberry, and something happens to them... YOUR FAULT!

You also have to keep your boots so they are touching when you are not wearing them
and always put the left boot on first
and knock on your gas tank three times before you start your bike....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Even when posting from my android phone?
You can pre-edit your pictures on your phone by opening the picture on the phone and top right corner ..click on the menu and than click rotate left or right. I have an S7 .

·
Registered
909 Posts
What have you learned about your bike that nixes (corrects) what you previously thought.
I figured this was probably as good as any other thread to post a DUH moment. Early this morning (2 a.m.) I couldn't sleep and decided to take Gina (2006 XL883) out for a spin through the 'city'. After getting her started I realized that the tail light wasn't working. So I took the tail light lens off and found that the bulb fell out of it's socket and was just rattling around in the lens. The brake light bulb's rubber socket was discolored and seemed to have been scorched with heat somehow. I popped the bulb back into the socket and was almost blinded by the bulb... OK it's nighttime so any light would seem relatively intense, right? Nope. The bulb was excessively bright and got too hot to touch so that was an indication that something was amiss. Also when I applied the front and/or rear brakes, the bulbs intensity didn't increase. This lead me to believe that the bulb was in 'brake mode'. After checking the rear and front brake switches I realized what the problem was. On most bikes that I've owned the brake light switch is an integral part of the front brake master cylinder. Not so with my Sporty, the brake light switch is a part of the throttle and switch gear housing and is separate from the brake lever MC. After adjusting the handlebars earlier today I failed to ensure that the brake lever on the MC was aligned correctly with the throttle housing (and switches) so essentially my brake lights were on all of the time. Because of the intense heat cause by the brake light always being on it softened the rubber bulb socket and allowed it to fall loose and plop out into the lens.

Despite all of my decades of experience this was truly a derp moment for me.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
heat cause by the brake light always being on it softened the rubber bulb socket and allowed it to fall loose
There was a recall on the first couple years of the Saturn L series (mid size sedans). When people tend to use their brakes alot (like stopped in traffic) the lens over the brake light would melt.

oops!

Weird that you bike would have sorta the same situation - how long could you sit with your foot on the brake before it got too hot?

Maybe ejecting an overheated bulb was an intentional design feature? o_O

·
Registered
909 Posts
... how long could you sit with your foot on the brake before it got too hot?

Maybe ejecting an overheated bulb was an intentional design feature? o_O
LOL! Seriously, you would figure that's the last thing I would have to contemplate in this age of high tech.

Time to switch to LED :)
That comes with it's own dilemma. The HD's oh so awesome modern ICU and TSSM units come with their own self diagnostic features which rely on reading a particular resistance coming from turn signals and tail lights... if they aren't within certain resistance parameters such as when using the filament bulbs they were designed for, they can cause issues. There are some LED bulbs designed for systems like HD's that include resistors to emulate the electrical resistance of conventional bulbs but I'd rather keeping using the bulbs the system was designed for. After all... if the bulb didn't fail, I would have never discovered that I was a doofus and failed to align the brake switch with the brake lever. ;)

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Sorry Dio, but we have to make a public example out of you! ;^O

Every morning when I start my bike, I check the turn signals left and right, front and back, pull the hand brake to make sure the brake light comes on, check the head light Hi and Low beams, and chirp the horn.

That way, if a bulb fails it wont be out for more than one day.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sorry Dio, but we have to make a public example out of you! ;^O

Every morning when I start my bike, I check the turn signals left and right, front and back, pull the hand brake to make sure the brake light comes on, check the head light Hi and Low beams, and chirp the horn.

That way, if a bulb fails it wont be out for more than one day.
I admit to not checking the bike after adjusting the handlebars but to my credit my pre-ride check (for what's that worth, no tail light when it's dark out, DOH) I found an issue with the bike. But yeah, go ahead and ream me a new one for not catching the problem right after making an adjustment. ;)

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
so this all happened in one day?

I got the impression the brake light had been on for a while to get hot enough to fall out.

Well.... Ok then. You have proven that checking your lights everyday does pay off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts