Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Thanks for the lift Nurtaeff. I'm back East (PA) for a week helping my brother do some work to his house and have been away from the computer mostly.

All others in the NorCal area, we have a few interested in planning a ride, it'd be great to get a few more to join up. The upcoming ride on April 27 starting in Modesto is a good start. If that works well, we can think about other rides.

Thanks YamahaPat for jumping in.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Two thoughts here:

1) YamahaPat, Sorry for the delay in responding. From Antioch, I would probably come across the Delta on 4. This ride starts at BRAAP Yamaha in Modesto. They are close to 99. How about meeting at a Starbucks off 99 near the Stockton airport? Address is: 4895 S, East Frontage Road, CA-99, Stockton, CA 95215. Then we can go down to BRAAP and get started.

For others in the area, we'd like to see you guys/gals make this and represent! This should be a fun day with good food. A link to the flyer is: https://ibb.co/wBKnbhH.

2) There's a plan developing to get a meet up and ride going in the Redding area and take Highway 36 to the coast during the 3rd week of August. Making that a Saturday, that would either be the 10th or the 17th. If interested, please respond. Maybe we make it an over-nighter?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Adding a quick message to get this back on the recent discussions list...

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

If we meet towards the end of August, I should be able to make it. As I may want to take a lot of photos, it may work that I ride with the group, but ride after that for the photos when I'll need to stop much more. I imagine I'll hang around for up to a week.

I hope some of you that are familiar with the area will know or check out all the side roads that branch off 36. I guess there are a lot that are pretty interesting. Not that I mind exploring, but it's not always so good with a group of riders. Better if the leader(s) know where they're going.

--

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm a picture guy too. Sometimes my friends think I stop too often but I get amazing photos. Lets get some on the West Coast get together.

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

So any progress from anybody? I'm leaving in about 10 days on a 9,000 miler and won't be back and able to do any commenting here until the first of August. Has anyone tightened up their plans? Is anyone familiar with the motels in Redding? I presume some of you that are going solo would be willing to share a room. I could do that. If someone wants to stay for a total of up to a week, I may be up to that so I can go back to some areas for more photos.

On the photos, I usually stop along the way to take shots. It takes me about a minute to stop, pull out camera, shoot, store camera back in jacket, and get going. Most all photos I take are from the bike. I know some riders are into hot dogging type riding, others into pretty spirited riding. Then you have your moderate riding speed and with that is photo possibility. The poke along riding can offer photo time too, but that's including stops at everything along the way. I usually prefer the moderate.

Any thoughts here?

--

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I would be open to just about anything within a few hours of Sacramento. Anything but Labor Day weekend. How about two weeks before Labor Day the 17th and 18th of August. Are we going for an overnight or just a long days ride? I figure if we start with a date anything can happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

Let's see. Sacramento is 167 miles to Redding. Grand Junction is 946 miles. So I'd rather not do just a day's ride. :laugh:

I would probably want to stay for several more days if there are more routes of interest around there. Plus, as I said, if some riders want almost no stops, I will probably have some do-overs. I don't really mind doing a route more than once. In fact, I take my favorite route around Grand Junction at least a dozen times each summer.

If we want to set a tentative date of Aug. 17-18, that would work for me. Not a lot of time to get caught up, but doable.

--

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm sorry I didn't catch the Colorado connection. The eastern Sierras have a lot of great rides. I don't think Hwy 36 is set in stone.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
--

Hwy. 36 is the primary reason I want to go there.

--
Well if we meet up in Red Bluff, Ca. Just south of Redding and ride to Fortuna, Ca. on 36 is 141 miles then south for 42 miles on 101 to the Avenue Of The Giants to Miranda, Ca. stay at the Miranda Garden Cottages. Then south to Ukiah, Ca. and take 20 across to Williams, Ca. 104 miles through Clearlake, Ca. to the 5 and split up from there. It all depends on everyone else. This seems like a good weekend run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

This is not the direction I was looking at. I think you might just need to count me out. Thanks anyway. :frown:

--

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm sorry but when I realized you were coming from so far I tried to be accommodating and offered a closer alternative. You said you wanted to do 36 and I offered an interesting ride. What is the direction you were looking for? I don't want to count anybody out this is early planning not a firm plan. What would you like to do?

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

An example is if you check this link:

https://www.pashnit.com/ca-hwy-36

He lists a number of roads branching out from 36 that sound like fun. If so, I would like to follow some of his directions and still be able to come back to the motel each night. I really am not into having to get a new room and unload every day. As I said, I'll be coming off a 9,000 miler for approximately 6 weeks already.

Not that everyone would feel the same. I have run 299 and posted photos from there. I want to follow up on this (36) just as a personal goal.

Then maybe 3 north of 299 and 96 back around to 299. Or 96 north off 299 and around to I-5 to save time.

https://www.riderzlaw.com/motorcycle-blog/2013/11/california-motorcycle-rides-state-route-96-in-no/

https://www.pashnit.com/ca-highway-96

Staying at the same place lets you get going earlier and returning later. Although I would agree that taking all your stuff with you gives flexibility.

So if most of you guys want to do a weekend only, and one way only, that's fine. If we all liked the same stuff, then there wouldn't be so many single riders.

--

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

Actually, in looking more at 96, it looks like it might be an all day ride unless you started in Willow Creek or ended your day in Yreka--all instead of Redding. So who knows at this point, it may be better for me to just zig-zag all over the place without being a drag on you guys. I guess I thought some of you may know the routes like the back of your hand, so to speak.

It's like in September I will probably be leading some groups of GoldWingers visiting in Colorado for the fall leaf change. But I already know all the roads in the area, so that takes all the guess work out of it.

--

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well if we meet up in Red Bluff, Ca. Just south of Redding and ride to Fortuna, Ca. on 36 is 141 miles then south for 42 miles on 101 to the Avenue Of The Giants to Miranda, Ca. stay at the Miranda Garden Cottages. Then south to Ukiah, Ca. and take 20 across to Williams, Ca. 104 miles through Clearlake, Ca. to the 5 and split up from there. It all depends on everyone else. This seems like a good weekend run.

We have had 4 people interested so far. Rufus49, Boots, FD757 and Starbagger. What do you think of this ride? Off the 20 is the 16 south to Woodland. 36 is something special The Avenue is my favorite ride. Miranda Garden Cottages were built back in the 20's. I probably will take this ride the weekend of 17th I will stay at my buddies in Phillpsville on the Avenue unless someone else comes along I will stay in Miranda. Please let me know.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
OK, back with some computer time. I'm down for the 17th and 18th. Any of the above mentioned rides sound great. I've done 36 before but that was a long time ago, probably 16 to 18 years ago. The Ave, I think I did in a cage. We probably should nail down the hotel to stay at so we can make reservations.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The last time I did 36 is in the same time frame. I usually get a room to myself because of my snoring. I'll call the Cottages this weekend and see about a two bedroom cabin and get back to you with pricing. If that doesn't work out Garberville is 9 mi south of The Avenue with more traditional motels. It's a pretty cool place I've stayed there a few times working backstage security at the Redwood Run.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Check out #9 2 beds 2 rooms 1 bath. $175.00 a night. Open the weekend of the 17th. Let me know and I'll lock it up.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm off the 16th through the19th, Made reservations at the Motel 6 at 20 Williams Ave. Red Bluff for Friday. Leave after breakfast for Hwy 36 taking a lot of pictures to Fortuna have lunch then Ave of the Giants. I stop a lot for pictures and tourist traps. Probably stay at my buddies place in Phillipsville on the Ave. Coming back 1 to the 20 then south on the 16. Boots if you don't mind stopping a whole lot or we can meet up at the next stop. Looking forward to hearing from you or anyone else that is interested.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts