Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, I want to take three days or so to loop around my home state of Pennsylvania. Starting in the SE in Phoenixville, I want to visit an old friend in Leonard, NJ, then cut back into PA and head north to RT 6, then across the state, checking out what I think is called the Grand Canyon of PA (?) and all the other sites to see along the way. Looking at my options once I head south out in the western part of the state. Might go down into MD and check out Sharpsburg and the Antietam Battlefield and move east through MD. Loose plans to say the least, but still a plan.

What about you guys and gals?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some great roads to ride in PA. I ride all over the western and central part of the state. You are going to love the Wellsboro area near PA Grand Canyon, some great cycling roads and beautiful country in that area was just up there this fall. I ride the Laurel Highlands area a lot around Somerset and Johnstown. I love the back country mountain roads and make a visit or two to the flight 93 memorial every year. It is a very popular biker destination as well as an awesome tribute to the hero's on that plane. Would like to make a trip through Skyline drive this upcoming season and possibly Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some great roads to ride in PA. I ride all over the western and central part of the state. You are going to love the Wellsboro area near PA Grand Canyon, some great cycling roads and beautiful country in that area was just up there this fall. I ride the Laurel Highlands area a lot around Somerset and Johnstown. I love the back country mountain roads and make a visit or two to the flight 93 memorial every year. It is a very popular biker destination as well as an awesome tribute to the hero's on that plane. Would like to make a trip through Skyline drive this upcoming season and possibly Blue Ridge Parkway.
My daughter recently graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. When I rode out in the fall of her sophomore year, we rode to the 93 Memorial, and ended up at a cultural festival in Johnstown on the way back. One of our more memorable rides. Funny thing is, I am not the biggest fan of twisty mountain roads, but I'll deal with it when I get out there. Just might come down through Punxsutawney, Indiana, and hit the Flight 93 Memorial again and then go to Sharpsburg.

I usually take a ton of pics on our rides, but at the Memorial, I took one at the entrance. Didn't feel right to do more than that. Yes...it is a great memorial.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,091 Posts
Two major trips this year hopefully. Our Texas Meet and Greet.

If we don't do it as a group, my wife and I do every year.

Then hopefully the Waynesville meet and greet if the funds allow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My daughter recently graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. When I rode out in the fall of her sophomore year, we rode to the 93 Memorial, and ended up at a cultural festival in Johnstown on the way back. One of our more memorable rides. Funny thing is, I am not the biggest fan of twisty mountain roads, but I'll deal with it when I get out there. Just might come down through Punxsutawney, Indiana, and hit the Flight 93 Memorial again and then go to Sharpsburg.

I usually take a ton of pics on our rides, but at the Memorial, I took one at the entrance. Didn't feel right to do more than that. Yes...it is a great memorial.
Very Familiar with Indiana PA my son, daughter in law and grandkids live there and I live about 12 miles away.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well, 2019 didn’t work out as hoped. Wife & I had planned to launch on a coast to coast trip right from the end of the Wayne’s Valley Rally. Wife got sick and work suffered so I was just happy to be able to attend the rally.
We’ll give it another shot this year for 2020!
Literally coast to coast. Figured we’d head West along the Northern route I 80 and run through Colorado. Stay for a week in San Diego (our old stomping grounds) and visit some old friends before heading back East along a Southern route... maybe I 20. We’ll see what happens.
I do know the wife wants to do a number of smaller “culinary” trips. SAY WHAT?? Yup!
If you’ve ever seen the Food Network show called “Diners, Drive-In’s & Dives”, well the wife want to divide the country up into 6 sectors and us go on 3-5 day trips to actually visit some of the notable eateries!
I WARNED her that after our 3rd trip we may well exceed the bikes weight limitations! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
682 Posts
Currently no big ride plans other than to be a virtual rider on our West, South West and South East member rides. I hope to retire in late 2020 or before but that depends on the market. If I get to retire in mid 2020 I may take a celebration ride but that remains to be seen.. So with that said I hope everybody gets to fulfill their 2020 ride dreams and everybody stays safe out there. For those who do get to ride for the next few months please video those rides so as a virtual rider I can at least break up the winter doldrums..

·
2,378 Posts
I'm hoping to make the trip to Waynesville in September, time and funds allowing. Also depends on the bike. It's got 84,000 km on it now (over 50,000 miles) and I'll need to give it a good going over before I head on a trip like that with it (unless I can someone convince my shorter half that I need a newer one...lol).

If I can't swing that I'll probably stick fairly close to home. We are going to try to get a reservation for an Oak Island tour this year, but they sell out fast. I've been interested in it since I was a kid and I've seen it from the mainland but I've never been able to actually go there. The show has only rekindled my interest and although I know it's a tourist trap, I just have to actually go and set foot on it. It's only about a 4 hour ride from here so we'll do an overnight trip and take our time.

I also want to ride the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia this year. Again, not real far but it has some nice twisties and some incredible coastal scenery. It would be a day ride to the start of it, another day to ride it, then another day back home.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
ChiefGunner, If your taking the 80 out west that's in my backyard. Hope to see you next year.
Well, you’re a bit farther North than we planned. Take 80 out through Colorado and then start heading Southwest probably through Durango and 4 corners headed towards SoCal.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You guys have some nice areas to ride in. I drove a rent car along the NY/PA line and the Delaware RIver a couple of springs ago and it was remarkable. Looked like a lot of fly fishing going on. Continued up to the Rochester area and drove a few of the finger lakes. I'd love to do that on a motorcycle.

Probably won't be able to do them all, but ...
1. Les Blank and a few other central texas guys are planning a Twisted Sisters run that I intend to join should that transpire.
2. Would like to ride out to the Big Bend area. There is a lot out there I want to see besides the park. Alpine, McDonald Observatory, Ft. Davis, Marfa, Balmorhea, Alpine Cowboys baseball, ...
3. Would like to ride the hills of NE and central Arkansas again when it gets really hot in Texas and would like to incorporate trips to the minor league clubs in Okie CIty, Tulsa, Fayetteville, Springfield, Little Rock.
4. Either Cape Canaveral again or Vandenburg for a rocket launch or two, preferably to see something very large go up.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I'm considering another cross country trip, depending on time and funds to join the group in Waynesville next year. In May of 2021, my brother-in-law and I are planning to redo the Run For the Wall ride but in between, I think I can squeeze in the SW Regional get together. Other than that, lots of NorCal rides. Hopefully YamahaPat and I can get a West Coast ride going too as he eluded to.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our big plan is to ride from Pensacola to K.C. Mo. We are going to go through Branson , go to Lucas motor speedway for drag boat races, then on up. I want to show her around Independence and K.C........

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope to meet up with my brother and his wife for their annual Bandera, TX run, this will be a major ride for me seeing as I'll be starting my trip from North East Georgia, joining them in Houston, and continuing out west. The longest I've been in the saddle was Atlanta - Houston and back on a 6 day trip back in Nov. 2016 for the Lone Stare Rally.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,091 Posts
TDWay-V-950, if you made it to Houston, let me know. Maybe we could meet up for lunch. My wife and I do a yearly ride to the Three Sisters. Hopefully getting a group together this year. Here's the info:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts