Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed difference in how the engine runs on gas from different stations?

Last week (wed) I fired up the my V-star 1300 after it had sat for about 1 month without running, full tank of 89 octane from Costco. For the first time in the year I have owned it, it ran weird at idle, stalled a bunch at low speeds and had trouble running in the lower RPM range. I did not have time to really diagnose it because I had 200 miles to go. At cruising speed around 70-80mph it felt great, but at lower speeds I had to keep it in a low gear to keep the revs up. I had a full tank, so I stopped about 110 miles in and filled up with Chevron 91 octane and added some injector cleaner, after about 30 or 40 miles the sputtering went away and was completely gone when I got to my destination. Had no issues at all on the way home and topped off with some chevron 89 octane. Took it to work again on Thursday (70-80 miles round trip) with no issues and did a small ride with the wife on Friday (30 miles...) with no issues.

My 2003 FZ-1 which is a bit more finicky had been giving me issues with starting, and always needed a while to warm up lest it stall randomly when cold, and then would run great once warmed up. I kept thinking it was carb issues so i would run cleaner in the tank once a month and the issue would clear up for a while. A Friend recommended I stop filling up with Costco and use Chevron and all my problems went away after a few tanks. I ride my FZ almost everyday for work so I put in 2-3 tanks per week. In the last few months I have had zero issues with starting and stalling, runs like a champ and does not need to warm up, just power her up and take the choke off and she is purring just fine. I only run Chevron 97 octane.

Anyone else noticed this? I still fill up my car and truck at Costco, because gas is still expensive here in California, even with all time barrel price lows gas is about $3.00 per gallon. My car and Truck never show any signs of running rough on the Costco stuff, but apparently the Bikes motors are more sensitive to variations in the quality of gasoline?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Interesting Klurejr. In my bikes I strictly run ethanol free fuel. In the cars we run Murphy gas, available at the Kroger food chains w/o any issues. The Yamaha mechanic I use urged me to use ethanol free as it won't eat gaskets on fuel injected engines. Once a month I try to run ethanol free thru cars to keep the fuel systems clean. It does cost more for ethanol free, around $3 a gallon here, however after my Kroger card discount, I only paid $1.27 a gallon yesterday when I filled up my wife's car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting Klurejr. In my bikes I strictly run ethanol free fuel. In the cars we run Murphy gas, available at the Kroger food chains w/o any issues. The Yamaha mechanic I use urged me to use ethanol free as it won't eat gaskets on fuel injected engines. Once a month I try to run ethanol free thru cars to keep the fuel systems clean. It does cost more for ethanol free, around $3 a gallon here, however after my Kroger card discount, I only paid $1.27 a gallon yesterday when I filled up my wife's car.

One is unable to buy Ethanol Free fuel in California, at least not that I know of short of buying some high octane race fuel at $9.00 per gallon. All Gasoline sold here must be 10% Ethanol. :frown:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a similar experience with Shell gas a few years back. I now use Chevron 87 octane in my Roadstar unless I have no other choice. A little more expensive, but worth it IMO. I also use Costco gas in my car without any problems, I've just never used it in my bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Sorry you can't get ethanol free in cally. I'm fortunate to have two stations in my county to choose from. I can tell a difference between ethanol and non-ethanol in my bikes, even on the carb'd Virago.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I burn whatever is at the closest station when I need gas. Bike and cars the same way. Granted I have never bought Cosco fuel but I have never had any issues related to the gas in any vehicle I have ever owned. I have the exact same experience with different octanes as well. No noticeable difference in performance be it regular or premium.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i rotate between regular and premium, so i'm usually running a 50/50 mix. the only ethanol free around here is at the marinas and i'ts usually twice the price. if you keep ethanol fuels fresh you shouldn't have problems. fuel starts separating after 30 days. in the old days of leaded fuels it lasted for years in the storage tanks. always buy fuel at high volume brand name stations when ever possible.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Having worked at an oil refinery I know that all gas enters the same pipelines, no mater who makes it; but, when they are distributed to the stations each company blends in it's own chemical additives. My bike has carbs and I prefer non ethanol gas which is also what I run in all small engines that I own. Regardless, I am surprised that you had trouble after only 1 month of the bike sitting up and especially with a full tank.

LoupGarou

·
Registered
421 Posts
I buy whatever is available whenever I need gas. I refuse to buy any vehicle which requires Premium, so that isn't an issue. I have been using E10, known as gasohol when it first hit the market, for literally decades in everything except two-strokes (chain saw, boat, etc.) and have never had any issue with it. I do try to find non-ethanol gas when a machine might have to sit for a while, like a motorcycle or mower, in winter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you keep ethanol fuels fresh you shouldn't have problems. fuel starts separating after 30 days. in the old days of leaded fuels it lasted for years in the storage tanks. always buy fuel at high volume brand name stations when ever possible.
Well, I ride just about everyday on my FZ-1, which is carburated and for more than a year I was filling up 2-3 times a week at Costco and the issue was persistent. I am not sure if it was the Ethenol or just that fact that it is cheaper gas and does not have as good of detergants in it as Chevron does. I have been on Chevron 87 octane for a few months now with that bike and all the starting and cold stalling issues are gone. I never took the carbs off to be cleaned.

I honestly believe that 99 & 44/100% of all the testimony's of gas brands , octane and ethanol---are pure old bull sheets.>:)
I am guessing you are being sarcastic, because my personal experiance has changed my mind about it.

Having worked at an oil refinery I know that all gas enters the same pipelines, no mater who makes it; but, when they are distributed to the stations each company blends in it's own chemical additives. My bike has carbs and I prefer non ethanol gas which is also what I run in all small engines that I own. Regardless, I am surprised that you had trouble after only 1 month of the bike sitting up and especially with a full tank.
it was the first time I had any issues with my V-Star (which is EFI), but now that I have seen such a difference in my FZ, I will only ever put Chevron in my Bikes if possible. I might even consider only putting Chevron in my Subaru STI from here on out. It seems to run fine on the Costco Stuff, but I wonder if I can't improve my MPG and run a bit more efficient with Chevron Gas.

I will keep the Silverado on Costco because it gets 15mpg and has a huge tank.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The issue with your Costco fuel experience could easily be attributed to an issue with the tanker or the tanks themselves at the station. Costco gas passes the same regulations as other fuel resellers and meets the "top tier" industry ratings. Granted additives can vary between resellers, but I honestly think it's not the fuel itself.

That doesn't discount your perception of them now and not wanting to use the station, but if you are still filling other vehicles there, I'm sure the bike will be fine.

Also, avoid filling up if you see that the tanker truck is there or has been recently. Filling the tanks stirs up all the crap in the bottom and feeds it to the pumps.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I burn whatever is at the closest station when I need gas. Bike and cars the same way. Granted I have never bought Cosco fuel but I have never had any issues related to the gas in any vehicle I have ever owned. I have the exact same experience with different octanes as well. No noticeable difference in performance be it regular or premium.
I pretty much do the same thing and also haven't noticed any difference and I actually did put Costco gas in the car a couple of times. :surprise: No problems.

I do try to run the ethanol free in the lawn mower, pressure washer, etc.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

LoupGarou
don't major oil companies have there own refineries and if all gas was going through the same pipe wouldn't it all be the same octane mixing together like that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I usually try to stop at the same gas station every time it's a marathon station unless I'm out on the road
That way if i get bad gas at least i know where it came from

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Also, avoid filling up if you see that the tanker truck is there or has been recently. Filling the tanks stirs up all the crap in the bottom and feeds it to the pumps.
so all the "crap" rises to the top? and you're not getting as much "crap" from gas that has been in there for several days between refills?

·
Registered
179 Posts
so all the "crap" rises to the top? and you're not getting as much "crap" from gas that has been in there for several days between refills?
Eh? Tanks aren't siphoned from the top. The intake tube is near the bottom but not all the way down for the same reason I mentioned above. Once the fuel settles, heavier contaminates and particles rest at the bottom and "cleaner" fuel is pulled to the pumps. When the tanker truck drops off, it agitates the tank and kicks all the crud up from the bottom. So if you get gas from a place that's recently been refilled, you are more likely getting some of that into your fuel system. To make matters worse, you're paying for it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts