Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a question for the bike gurus. here i go.
On my way to work. normal traffic doing around 40MPH light turns yellow i am too far to make it before red so i hit the front brake and the bike starts swerving all over the road and finally bike falls.
wondering if by any chance i hit the front brake to fast but what would happen in an emergency braking situation? my front brakes didn't work properly?
I am just a newbie that couldn't handle an 1100 bike? mind you road was wet because it heavily rained the night before but tires are like new.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Maybe you hit the fronts to hard and they locked up next time try to use both front and back an ease into the front or downshift hope you didn't get hurt

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's a good thing all that stuff can be replaced had a buddy of mine not to long ago hit an oil slick went down than got run over by the car behind him luckily it only got one leg

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
How hard did you grab the front brake? Did it lock up, or did the steering just become really hard to hold while slowing?

Have you done any front brake testing since then? Do you normally get vibrations under hard braking?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How hard did you grab the front brake? Did it lock up, or did the steering just become really hard to hold while slowing?

Have you done any front brake testing since then? Do you normally get vibrations under hard braking?
hard to tell what exactly happened. the road was wet and i locked the front brake and then i couldn't control the bike. i just don't wanna make the same mistake again since i am a new rider.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,683 Posts
One other thought, roads around intersections are notorious for having oil, ac drip water, etc on the surface. You might have hit a slick spot and front tire locked up. This has happened to me but I've been lucky enough not to go down. I've learned to check road surface coming into intersections to see what part of the lane is the cleanest looking. Just take you bike to a big open parking lot and practice some panic stops to make sure nothing wrong with brakes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other thought, roads around intersections are notorious for having oil, ac drip water, etc on the surface. You might have hit a slick spot and front tire locked up. This has happened to me but I've been lucky enough not to go down. I've learned to check road surface coming into intersections to see what part of the lane is the cleanest looking. Just take you bike to a big open parking lot and practice some panic stops to make sure nothing wrong with brakes
i would do that. i am gonna pass by the same road tomorrow just to see if there was oil on the road or something that could of made me loose control.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad you are ok. Because of the wet pavement maybe there was oil, etc. still on top of water in the intersection? Great suggestion about the parking lot practice. I practice often to hone skills, especially, emergency braking. None of us know when something unexpected could happen. Ride safe and enjoy!~YammyV

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you done a rider training course?
Practicing brake control in a safe environment under expert instruction is priceless. Even if your in a rush, increase brake pressure steadily, not a sudden grab, always use back and front brake together. I little more rear if things are slippery and ease off the brakes if a tire locks up. And as Lesblank said oil in the center of the lane on wet intersections can be like ice and the road paint too. try to stay in the car tire tracks. I always approach intersections in the tire lane wet or dry so that it is just habit.
The only crash I've had in recent years was due to an oil spill on a wet round about.
Glad your ok.

·
Super Moderator
6,765 Posts
As others have said, main thing is you're ok and your bike is ok. If you haven't taken a rider course I'd recommend it. One big thing they stressed was using your brakes with steady pressure. Again, I'm just glad you're alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
if the front locks up the front tire will usually just wash out, the back locking up the bike will either fish tail, slide out or if you let it regrip by releasing the brake throw you off on the high side, the back scares me more than the front especially going down a long steep hill, the further down the hill you brake the less traction the rear wheel will have, because the front is diving and the back is lifting, different style bikes brake differently on my 650 i always lightly apply the rear first which tilts the bike forward so the front wheel has better traction before you even begin to brake it, the 650 has a long wheel base which make this a good method for me, i doubt it would work on a short wheel base sport bike though

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if the front locks up the front tire will usually just wash out, the back locking up the bike will either fish tail, slide out or if you let it regrip by releasing the brake throw you off on the high side, the back scares me more than the front especially going down a long steep hill, the further down the hill you brake the less traction the rear wheel will have, because the front is diving and the back is lifting, different style bikes brake differently on my 650 i always lightly apply the rear first which tilts the bike forward so the front wheel has better traction before you even begin to brake it, the 650 has a long wheel base which make this a good method for me, i doubt it would work on a short wheel base sport bike though
I was riding my vstar 1100 classic. it's weird because the bike is heavy.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Glad you are ok, the bike is fixable or replaceable, Crap happens to all of us don't let it hurt your ego. You do not ever want to lock the front brake. That is your control of the bike. I did the EXACT same thing you did and had close to the same results. I somehow stayed up by releasing the front brake and actually upshifting. Don't ask me why I upshifted.. I was new and was just trying to stay shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
IF I had to put money on it I would say you just grabbed too much front brake by mistake and locked the wheel. Easy to do when just learning. I have done it myself just never locked up. Bike just stopped quicker than my body was expecting it to. Still learning everyday. We all react differently to different situations and we never know how we will react until we are in a particular situation. As was mentioned previously, practice, practice, practice. Another suggestion I have heard on this site is find roads that aren't busy with traffic and pick an object on the side of the road, be it a sign or driveway or whatever and see just how short and quick you can stop without lockup. Do it over and over until you can stop on a dime without lock up. Do it enough and the muscle memory will start to kick in.
Good luck and glad you are ok!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts