Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

3661 - 3676 of 3676 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,939 Posts
So today I installed switch back bulbs in front and red leds in the back and it has given me a hiccup in my electrical system. They work fine but now my security system is wigging out as the front bulbs are tide into the security system. The bike runs for a few seconds then the security light comes on still running with the light on. As I really like the lights I’ve decided to take them back out for now thinking that maybe someone here may have some insight into my issue. And they do not have the fast flash issue just the security light comes one while running the bike. PS the bike I’m dealing with is not my Yamaha it’s a hd Dyna but I’m thinking the bulbs might work fine in the 650 Classic that way I’m not out $20.00. Lol
Strange you are having issues with the bulbs on the HD. I have the same bulbs. On my Electra Glide when I first turn on the ignition, the lights flash three times and then steady. Mine do hyper flash a little but not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It only seams to make the alarm system light to magically appear after a few seconds of running and with it being built into the ecu and turn signal module not sure what I’m going to do as the lights are very nice. Would love to keep them installed I'm going to reinstall them and measure the resistance old and new might just need a resistor as it seems to only happen with the front bulbs. And the front clear lenses that I bought are not very nice so looking for better ones of those.

·
5,939 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine are the 2“ push in style and I did the reset on the flasher everything actually works just don’t like seeing that red key light one in the speedo. Not sure if it would affect anything will have to give it a ride in a few days as are weather has turned rain and colder temps. I was thinking about buying the bigger front lights as they can be put on the stalk that is on mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ok today I’ve got a response to my issue with the alarm light staying on after the led switch back bulbs as it’s tied into the anti theft model it thinks i have a burnt out bulb because of the wattage draw is to low. So now I have to find a variable resistor and raise the resistance until the module thinks it’s ok again. Going to have to dig through all my old tools and find the one I made years ago or make a new one.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I started mine and charged the mp3 player a little. Did try directional lights just to see them change. It needs to get out bad. Maybe thursday for work. And put on my new sticker for the plate crooked.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The two I have here have been running just around the neighborhood working the kinks out of them. And so tomorrow I’m going to call the parts store and see if they have any resistors in stock as I really like the switchback bulbs but don’t like my alarm light being on. Crazy bike has some kinda bulb check built into the alarm system.

·
5,939 Posts
The two I have here have been running just around the neighborhood working the kinks out of them. And so tomorrow I’m going to call the parts store and see if they have any resistors in stock as I really like the switchback bulbs but don’t like my alarm light being on. Crazy bike has some kinda bulb check built into the alarm system.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Someone mentioned adding a relay into the circuit driving the new lights. I would suggest you look into that. The relay uses very little current to pull it in but the relay, once pulled in can provide a direct from battery path to the lights so the alarm system is not affected. My thoughts anyway. I have one on my VStar and it does a good job. You can get a 12 VDC relay capable of 30 amps at most auto parts stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
The load resisters might work but I was told that they get a little warm. I was hopping for a variable resister that I could hook into the sensor wire at the control unit I’ll be digging into the bike this week I’ll let you guys know if that is a possibility. As it would be a cleaner install in the frame in stead of the light harness.
96EFE2FC-D7A3-4D56-97F7-DC9CC3F17B1A.png

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yesterday got the bike out. Put the saddlebags back on. Took a nice 12 mile ride! Nice warm day in Ohio but the wind was rough. 30-40 mph with gusts to 50. Parked her after getting hit with a few side gusts. But it was nice to get out and go through the gears a few times. Better weather is just around the corner.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
66 Posts
I'm still awaiting parts for the Rear Air Ride Build that I'm doing, so I just kinda played around with a couple of things. I put on a steel braided clutch cable, and a steel braided throttle pull cable and removed the push cable. I put the mirrors on and then moved her back into the garage...LOL...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I like the braided steel lines have them on the HD but were kinda pricey back when I got them. Nice thing is they have the plastic sleeve inside and never need to put oil in them and if you do it stains them and you get to start over.

3661 - 3676 of 3676 Posts