Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

3901 - 3920 of 3957 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,554 Posts
Thanks NorthernRider, he was looking the saddlebags over and noticed the seam where the two pieces of the bag are put together. He said he’s going to smooth the seams out so it looks like one piece. He also found another very small ding in the tank. He’s doing to smooth the tank out like the saddlebags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can’t wait to see the results @Keith Post !

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Well, today I replaced the front brakes and (stupid me) didn’t get the rear so I went and ordered those. Will be here Tuesday.
Since I just had my saddlebags replaced under warranty, I had to remove my colored led strips from the bottom before they replaced. Well, today I went back and re-installed those and took the opportunity to re-route the wires so that it’s less of a pain disconnecting when removing the bags.
Also, I had a “dark spot” I didn’t like at the top inside of the bag next to the seat. Well, it’s no longer dark!
I think I still need to light the bottom length of the frame and under the trunk better. Right now I have light pods and I think it needs some strips.
I haven’t found a way YET to backlight behind that small side panel but I’m working on a solution.
Tomorrow I’m planning on drilling out the baffles. Guy in Florida has a video about it. Gives a little more sound particularly on acceleration.
Here’s a pic of the current upgrade.
View attachment 94233
I am assuming you didn't order it from Yamaha

·
Registered
2003 V-Star 650 Silverado
12 Posts
Well today I started modding the '03 650 Classic I recently acquired. I switched to clear rear turn signal lenses, and removed the passenger sat and backrest. Future additions will be tank and fender bibs, plus adding a set of passing lights, and possibly going LED headlight. Tossing around the idea of adding some chrome fender tip trim.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Well today I started modding the '03 650 Classic I recently acquired. I switched to clear rear turn signal lenses, and removed the passenger sat and backrest. Future additions will be tank and fender bibs, plus adding a set of passing lights, and possibly going LED headlight. Tossing around the idea of adding some chrome fender tip trim.
Fender tip trim is a must!

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
Finished up my annual maintenance items today.

Clutch adjusted, upper and lower.

Side covers polished up a bit.

Ram cup holder installed to avoid dehydration on long rides.

Fumoto oil drain valve installed, and then removed. Didn't like it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi. anybody knows the length of the drain bolts on roadliner/strat? i want to buy bolts with smaller heads

·
Super Moderator
3,171 Posts
Looking good Bill. Chrome looks so good when it shines like that.

It's supposed to be 70 tomorrow so I decided to give mine a good wash before I go for a ride. I removed the hard saddlebags to wash behind them and knocked one over with the hose onto my asphalt driveway. I now have a few nice wide scratches right through the paint and primer. Now I need to get some touch up paint and hope I can make it less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
Almost forgot, because I hacked this together last weekend while adjusting my valves. Then finished it up today and added an end for the small plug too. This tool fits the timing plugs in the left side engine cover. No way was a quarter going to work on the large plug, but this tool did.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Took a class with a local motor officer today (second time). Changing directions (clockwise-counter clockwise) all inside the circle was a b.tch exercise, but it was very good to re-establish that clutch-rear brake control. Fear is manageable. Overall was a good class. Tight circles and u turns shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
927 Posts
Took a class with a local motor officer today (second time). Changing directions (clockwise-counter clockwise) all inside the circle was a b.tch exercise, but it was very good to re-establish that clutch-rear brake control. Fear is manageable. Overall was a good class. Tight circles and u turns shouldn’t be a problem anymore.
Congrats! Were you doing figure 8s?

The course I took was not far away and the box we had to drive inside was painted in a parking lot, so I went back to practice now and then. It was hard to do on the little loaner bike I took the course with. It's double tough on my 950. Last time I went back it was gone.

You're right, tight and slow is important to know. It is surprising how often you need to U-turn in an inconvenient spot.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Congrats! Were you doing figure 8s?

The course I took was not far away and the box we had to drive inside was painted in a parking lot, so I went back to practice now and then. It was hard to do on the little loaner bike I took the course with. It's double tough on my 950. Last time I went back it was gone.

You're right, tight and slow is important to know. It is surprising how often you need to U-turn in an inconvenient spot.
Figure 8 is easy. I was mainly focus on that exercise when you inside the circle which was pretty tight to begin with. Then he told me that he wants me to change direction while staying within that circle. It was like you go half circle then cut it straight diagonally, almost stop, turn handlebars to lock and go half circle the other way while keeping both feet up of course. When he explained it I said “it’s impossible, man”. He jumped on my bike and did few laps and made it look very easy. I was embarrassed and accepted the challenge. After several runs out of the circle I was able to do what he did, but it was exhausting. And then he tightened that circle up... lol. First time I laid my nice Road King Special after 1,5 years of owning it. But it was just a gentle drop, stalled the engine in one of those tight turns and had to slowly put it down. Engine and bag guards got scratched a bit, already fixed it with black nail polish. After all I did tight u turns from dead stop and I can tell you can do a u turn with the radius of your bike length. I had fun and will do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
My uncle, who taught me to ride many, many years ago now, was a motor officer in Florida and was on their demonstration team. The things he can do with a full dresser Harley is very impressive. Even today he still does things and you look at him and just go how?

I’d love to be able to take a class with him, maybe I’ll have to take the bike down to see him one weekend.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
163 Posts
Got the carbs rebuilt and reinstalled just to see the rear cylinder float bowl leaking. Had to pull them again and put the old seal back in...lol. reinstalled everything and now she's running sweet.

The carbs were supposedly rebuilt not long before I got the bike, but the PO got taken for a ride. Look at the diaphragm for the front cylinder...

Here's video of it now.

Bike running after a good carb cleaning and rebuild.

Wifey will be home from work in about an hour and we're going to do an oil change on her bike and take a nice long ride.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,564 Posts
3901 - 3920 of 3957 Posts