Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4381 - 4400 of 4449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Well I installed the LED passing lamp bulbs this morning. Took my time and I was done in a little under an hour...

With factory bulbs.....

With new bulb installed on the left for comparison.....

With both new bulbs installed....

and bulb comparison...easy install, hardest time was with re-alignment with the top tab holding the housing in place. I cleaned all connections while I was in there.
One very noticeable difference was the temp of the factory bulbs and LED’s. Factory bulbs quickly heated up to 60 degrees in a matter of seconds. LED’s, no heat after almost two minutes of being on. Very pleased so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
@Keith Post WOW!, the new bulbs really show the dirt on that yellow towel...

All kidding aside, that looks great!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
H3 replacements? I noticed one of my passing lights out this morning on my ride in. I am trying to decide between the sunpie and something like this. I do not ride at night just early in the morning. Decisions...decisions....

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
It was an H3-W14 replacement, for $20 for the pair, I felt it was worth it. We don’t ride a lot at night either, but I like being prepared and being seen, lol.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
131 Posts
Well I installed the LED passing lamp bulbs this morning. Took my time and I was done in a little under an hour...

With factory bulbs.....

With new bulb installed on the left for comparison.....

With both new bulbs installed....

and bulb comparison...easy install, hardest time was with re-alignment with the top tab holding the housing in place. I cleaned all connections while I was in there.
One very noticeable difference was the temp of the factory bulbs and LED’s. Factory bulbs quickly heated up to 60 degrees in a matter of seconds. LED’s, no heat after almost two minutes of being on. Very pleased so far!

If i remember correctly 95 percent of the energy used by and incandescent bulb is turned into heat 5 percent for light. LED bulbs about 40 percent is used for light the other 60 heat.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Thanks all!
I think it’s a great improvement and yes, the passing lamps now match the switchbacks output,
and it all looks balanced now.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
If i remember correctly 95 percent of the energy used by and incandescent bulb is turned into heat 5 percent for light. LED bulbs about 40 percent is used for light the other 60 heat
So just make sure to switch back to incandescent in the winter to keep warm. 😎

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,990 Posts
Keith, looking good. Give us an update after you have ridden at night as far as improvement over stock. They definitely look nicer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So just make sure to switch back to incandescent in the winter to keep warm. 😎
It's funny you mention that. For those of us who don't ride year 'round and have to deal with that nasty white stuff, the heat from the bulbs actually server a good purpose. It helps keep the snow and ice melted off the lenses. But on a bike I don't think that's much of a concern. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's funny you mention that. For those of us who don't ride year 'round and have to deal with that nasty white stuff, the heat from the bulbs actually server a good purpose. It helps keep the snow and ice melted off the lenses. But on a bike I don't think that's much of a concern. :ROFLMAO:
Very true Brad, I got caught in a freezing rain/snow on a day the weather guessers gave a slight chance with the temperature in the high 30s. Notice the lights are all dry...
9Feb2017c.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
H3 replacements? I noticed one of my passing lights out this morning on my ride in. I am trying to decide between the sunpie and something like this. I do not ride at night just early in the morning. Decisions...decisions....
In my country, we have a saying, it will not be the same in English, but the meaning is: “it is easier to prevent than to cure”…

·
Registered
576 Posts
@Boog, looks like you were prepared for the day with those bar mittens! (y)
Those are HippoHands and they gone on once the temperature drops down to the 30s F and stay on till early Spring. Any of these wind blockers are worth their weight in gold for us year round riders.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fozzie,
Looks like you have your partner tied up close by if you need help, lol.
My dogs love to near by whenever I’m in the garage!

Yea,he almost always close by.he is only 8 months old and 85 pounds. a true gentleman and very gentle with my granddaughter. Our husky was in the yard somewhere too

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
28 Posts
Yesterday I cut off the rear fender bracket, installed a new saddle bag/ bottle mount and my new solo seat. I've got new lights arriving tonight that I've got to install.
IMG_20200729_224325 (1).jpg

4381 - 4400 of 4449 Posts