Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4401 - 4420 of 4449 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Fozzie you are lucky, the Harley dealer here will not work on anything that isn't Harley ( that includes tires ) and it has to be less then 10 yrs old.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got the new rubber on.jspree,all the Harley dealers here in northeast Ohio are really cool.for service it needs to be a Harley and they dont care how old.unless its a trade in then they service it for resale.for tires they don't care what kind of bike it is they will lift it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
I put the new starter relay in the Strat just now and the bike starts momentarily then dies. Rain hit so I stopped messing with it for now. Have I maybe got the leads backwards?

Reactions: that1guy90

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
Well, not today, but on and off for the past 10 days when I had opportunity. And somebody definitely does not want me to finish my Classic project, because I need a dry spell in order to paint the fender, but dry days have played mostly elusive.

However, let's wind back to where we left, with a badly rusted front fender. I smeared a liberal coating of paint remover all over and wrapped it in clingfilm. Usually, the paint start to break down after 30 minutes, but after 3 hours there was no sign of caving in and I ended with a knife in hand to scrape the paint off. And even that proved next to impossible in sports where the stripper had been coated too thinly. That was some serious paint!

The shiny stuff on the red is clear coat. It would come off with the black, but the red would not budge. I do not know if the fender was finished in red and for whatever reason repainted black at the factory, or if somebody needed a new fender at a later stage and found a red one that they turned black, but I am inclined to think it was done by Yamaha when new.

Black and clear removed

All paint removed

However, even using 60-grit flapper disc on the angle grinder failed to get all the rust out - it seems to go all the way through

I used "rust converter" liberally and hope for the best

First coat of primer and then spray-on filler

"Dusting" it in order to be able to see low and high spots before wet-sanding

The plan was to paint it black this morning, but the undercoat of the underside was not totally dry, so I decided to finish the paint after the day's ride. But wouldn't you know it, the rain came early 😣 12 minutes before we arrived home, even. Still, we got of lightly - seconds after we got be bikes indoors it began bucketing down for ten minutes before giving a brief breather, although it is back raining again.

Fender is ready for paint, sanded with 800 grit. All that is needed is some dry weather. Which seems unlikely. In that case, I will bring it with me to work and paint it after hours, but I'd rather not as somebody is bound to complain about the smell.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention I fitted the Pirelli City Demon rear tire on my front rim last weekend. Against the direction for a rear tire, as per recommendation.

I like the pattern well enough

Thread depth is more on par with a front than a rear tire at about 6.5mm

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention I fitted the Pirelli City Demon rear tire on my front rim last weekend. Against the direction for a rear tire, as per recommendation.

I like the pattern well enough

Thread depth is more on par with a front than a rear tire at about 6.5mm
Well I’m officially done with ‘phase 1’ of the RoadStar rebuild.
It’s been an incredible run, I’ve learned so much about these bikes.
I’m always challenging myself even at my ripe old age, I’m always inspired by our members builds, re-builds, and input/suggestions/ideas.
Thanks so much for everyone’s help, I’ll update y’all when I begin ‘phase 2’ this winter. Hopefully I’ll get some seat time in late this weekend to enjoy some fruits of my labor.
Hope you enjoy the short video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
Looking and sounding good. Classy looking ride.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Super Moderator
3,617 Posts
Gave mine her mid season oil change then a quick wash. Going an a little road trip tomorrow with a few buddies so I wanted to get that done. Hoping not to get caught in one of the sporadic rain showers that have been hanging around all week.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Have fun NR!
Thanks Les and JT!
I tried to make it look good and classy, I put a lot of effort into the re-assembly and learned a lot from it.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
324 Posts
Reactions: Keith Post

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Thanks NR and Bobber650, I really appreciate it! Having downloaded the online manual helped me a lot, and wanting to learn about the bike as well made it easier. I got so much technical information from JaguarTech and Les that helped a lot too. Ya see why I’m always bragging about our forum and it’s members? Lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
After an almost off-road trip, see my post in “The Daily Ride Thread”, I have found the resources to wash and clean my Yammy, was extremely dusty. Because was very late and the I rather to do some particular action (soft polishing) only at day light, I was able only to wash and dry her…oh yes, for me it’s a “SHE”, like a person, I have considered and treat all my previous and present bikes as persons…
DSC06245.JPG

DSC_1897.JPG

DSC_1900.JPG

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very nice bike! (For me, bikes are "it" or "that", though 😄 )

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
@Lup69 I too name my bikes and other rides as well. Usually though, mine are named after animals or ships or at least something characteristic of the machine. Brahma is my Rocket III. It looks like a big bull and has the power to back it up. My Stratoliner is Yamato, the biggest of the Japanese battleships and the biggest of the Yamaha lineup. And, Yamato is a mashup of Yamaha and motor. My project bike is Rusty; well, because it is hard to tell what the original color is due to rust.

Glad your offroad adventure ended well!

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Got to ride the Cherohala Skyway and Dragons Tail on the RoadStar yesterday in preparation for the rally in September. It didn’t disappoint, so we put the bikes to bed after we got home. I’ll wipe the bugs off of it, and Monica’s 950 later this week as it’ll supposed to rain a lot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I already said, here is the result, at this time,

DSC_1901.JPG

DSC_1902.JPG

DSC_1904.JPG

DSC_1905.JPG

DSC_1906.JPG

DSC_1907.JPG

DSC_1909.JPG

For the last 30 years, I always try to keep my bikes in “as good as new” condition, even if some of them were quite aged, I always said that I rather wash 3 cars instead of cleaning a bike, but when is finished, the feeling is awesome!!

4401 - 4420 of 4449 Posts