Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4644 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
If it was molly paste (that is what i used on my 180 vtx) that stuff seems like tar but i pasted the hell out of it. Molly paste is what they use to lube 5th wheel on semis.
I didn't have any officially sanctioned motorcycle molypaste. Had to go with what I could find at Advance Auto. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/valvoline-multi-vehicle-moly-fortified-grease-141-ounce-vv633/7070013-P Seems like it will do the job. And yes, it's rather viscous. Not quite as bad when left in the sun for an hour.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,681 Posts
The moly fortified grease you used does not have enough moly in it. I would recommend to change it soon. Here is what I've used for years without any issues.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Thanks Les, I suspected I'd need to change it. Now that I've taken the back end apart once, I'm pretty sure I could do it again in half the time. And I may even leave the fender on.

·
Super Moderator
3,742 Posts
Gonna pull the front wheel off and take it to a shop to have my tire replaced on Tuesday. While I have it apart I'm going to repack my steering head bearings. I also ordered an LED conversion for my headlight. Knock off Daymaker style. It should arrive while I have it apart so I'll get that installed too.

Yes, I'll post pics. :rolleyes:
Well, the headlight arrived as I was leaving for work this morning so I went out to install it when I got home tonight. Won't fit. The mounting bracket that came with it is too big to fit in my headlight bucket and the mounts are different anyway. Also no way to easily adapt it to fit on my original mounting bracket without extensive modifications (re: plastic welding mounting points to the new headlight). So it's back in the box and will be on its way back home in the morning. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Well, the headlight arrived as I was leaving for work this morning so I went out to install it when I got home tonight. Won't fit. The mounting bracket that came with it is too big to fit in my headlight bucket and the mounts are different anyway. Also no way to easily adapt it to fit on my original mounting bracket without extensive modifications (re: plastic welding mounting points to the new headlight). So it's back in the box and will be on its way back home in the morning. Oh well.
Well that's rather disappointing. Nothing like waiting for something to arrive only to find out it doesn't fit, work, or needs yet another part you didn't plan on...

·
Super Moderator
3,742 Posts
Yeah, the description said it fits most Harleys and "should" fit any bike with a 7" headlight so it was worth a shot. I don't ride much at night anyway, mostly because I can't see more than 20 or 30 feet directly in front of me with my current candle. I saw a video where someone adapted a very similar one to fit his 900 but he drilled holes in it and used L brackets. But there was a big gap around the bezel when he put it together and I wasn't willing to drill holes in the casing anyway.

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Yeah, the description said it fits most Harleys and "should" fit any bike with a 7" headlight so it was worth a shot. I don't ride much at night anyway, mostly because I can't see more than 20 or 30 feet directly in front of me with my current candle. I saw a video where someone adapted a very similar one to fit his 900 but he drilled holes in it and used L brackets. But there was a big gap around the bezel when he put it together and I wasn't willing to drill holes in the casing anyway.

Oh well, I'll keep looking.
I drive with my high beams on all the time. I am surprised no one hits their brights on me

·
8,681 Posts
That's a bummer. Some of the lights come with a mounting ring, did yours? Mine did, but using on different bike.

Reactions: Boog

·
Super Moderator
3,742 Posts
Yeah, it came with one pretty much the same as yours. Actually, besides it being chrome instead of black it looks pretty much the same. The bracket was a little bigger than my headlight bucket and had flat mounting points (if that makes sense). Mine are angled and the mount for the adjusters is molded into the back of my headlight housing. Without using the mounting bracket that came with the light I wouldn't have had any way to adjust the light. With some thought and modifications I might have been able to make it work but I wasn't getting into that.

Reactions: Boog

·
8,681 Posts
I looked up your headlight bucket, it would take some modifications. Sure do wish we lived closer.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Actually it was last evening, but we cleaned up our Yammys in lieu of the rally in NC, checked the air pressure in the tires , made sure the battery connections were free of corrosion, and did an overall inspection as we leave in less than 5 days. Awe, that fresh mountain air and cooler temps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
Actually it was last evening, but we cleaned up our Yammys in lieu of the rally in NC, checked the air pressure in the tires , made sure the battery connections were free of corrosion, and did an overall inspection as we leave in less than 5 days. Awe, that fresh mountain air and cooler temps!

Just rubbing it in aren’t ya??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Installed the Cobra quiet core baffles in the slashdown exhaust. Just from the two times starting it up and letting it idle, I honestly kind of like the original baffles better. To me, the originals seem to have a deeper tone to them. I'm going to run with the quiet core installed for a few days to see if my opinion changes. It does seem maybe a little quieter, but so far I'm not a fan of the tone. We'll see if that changes. First video is slashdowns with original baffles. Second and third videos are with the quiet cores. Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Big difference on the tone, the original is a deeper tone........
The quiet core don't sound bad, but for me I like the deeper tone...... Mine are kind of load.... but it has a deeper tone then just about any bike on the road and I like it that way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Big difference on the tone, the original is a deeper tone........
The quiet core don't sound bad, but for me I like the deeper tone...... Mine are kind of load.... but it has a deeper tone then just about any bike on the road and I like it that way.
I agree, I like the deeper tone as well. It seems like it did quieten it down some, but I'm not a fan of the tone change. I'll give it until this weekend to decide if I want to keep them in or not. As it stands right now, they're coming out and the originals are going back in!

·
Registered
2006, Yamaha, Royal Star Tour Deluxe
93 Posts
I agree, I like the deeper tone as well. It seems like it did quieten it down some, but I'm not a fan of the tone change. I'll give it until this weekend to decide if I want to keep them in or not. As it stands right now, they're coming out and the originals are going back in!
Until you will change it, could you measure the db? One measurement before and one after? If you have the time and the possibilities of course...:geek:

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
304 Posts
Until you will change it, could you measure the db? One measurement before and one after? If you have the time and the possibilities of course...:geek:
interesting I have a db meter app. on phone never thought to use it on exhaust. thanks

·
Registered
2006, Yamaha, Royal Star Tour Deluxe
93 Posts
interesting I have a db meter app. on phone never thought to use it on exhaust. thanks
Check this:
Last weekend, I have tried to make a test, in the video below…
The positioning of my phone is relatively correct, regarding the condition that I have seen in other video explanation, but due to the weather condition, the test was accomplished in a…garage, more like a barn… However, please react with other advices for the next time to have a more accurate test… except the lack of the dedicated audio measurement device.
in topic"Exhaust pipe", here on forums...

4561 - 4580 of 4644 Posts