Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4581 - 4600 of 4644 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Parked it with an oil leak. Got about a half mile from my house yesterday and the red oil light came on. Turned right around and got it in the garage. Noticed the mat I park on was squishy with oil (multi-colored pattern throw rug...cannot see there was oil on it).

Under the bike...oil all over the crankcase. I had somewhere to be so I left it. I am hoping it is just the oil filter worked loose.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
304 Posts
I just had to anneal the crush washers on the 01 where the line comes from the case. After all these years why it started to leak no clue.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just had to anneal the crush washers on the 01 where the line comes from the case. After all these years why it started to leak no clue.
After I check the filter and drain bolt I will look at the service manual and check all potential leak points...ugh.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sounds like a major leak! Let's hope it is easy to fix.
This is the first and only out of the ordinary issue I have had in 10 years with this bike. Looks like I'll deal with this and if I solve the problem, I'll flush the coolant as well and be set for fall riding.
Or, I'll find out it's something major and start trying to convince the CFO that 'we' need a new bike (Road Star maybe).

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Big difference on the tone, the original is a deeper tone........
The quiet core don't sound bad, but for me I like the deeper tone...... Mine are kind of load.... but it has a deeper tone then just about any bike on the road and I like it that way.
Yea, that deeper tone is what I want. A tad quieter perhaps but hard to tell.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea, that deeper tone is what I want. A tad quieter perhaps but hard to tell.
After riding with the new baffles in today, the tone is actually starting to grow on me. I'll take another video tomorrow and try to get a decibel reading as well. It is some quieter, and it toned the sharpness down a good bit as well. My ears don't ring after a long ride anymore. If you want an in-your-face sound, I'd say stick with the original baffles that the slashdowns come with. If you want a good tone but not quite as loud/sharp, I'd get the quiet core baffles.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
After riding with the new baffles in today, the tone is actually starting to grow on me. I'll take another video tomorrow and try to get a decibel reading as well. It is some quieter, and it toned the sharpness down a good bit as well. My ears don't ring after a long ride anymore. If you want an in-your-face sound, I'd say stick with the original baffles that the slashdowns come with. If you want a good tone but not quite as loud/sharp, I'd get the quiet core baffles.
Thx. I'd like to hear yours at idle and revved. I like the low and quiet sound. Throaty and full but softer and quieter.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
946 Posts
@vito that reminds me of the days flying in the back of Sikorski's SH-3H. If it was not leaking oil, you knew it was out.

Reactions: Lorax and Lup69

·
Registered
434 Posts
@vito that reminds me of the days flying in the back of Sikorski's SH-3H. If it was not leaking oil, you knew it was out.
In a chopper...that's leaking oil? That makes me feel uneasy sitting safely in my office right now.

So...your swim was in the Potomac. My sister lives just outside of DC in Laurel, MD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thx. I'd like to hear yours at idle and revved. I like the low and quiet sound. Throaty and full but softer and quieter.
Here is a quick video I took when I pulled up to the house. The wife works nights and was still asleep, so I didn't want to rev it too much. To me, it does still have a deep-ish tone to it, but definitely sounds quieter and less sharp than the original baffles. On a dB meter on my phone, sound level at idle with the Quiet Core baffles installed hovered around 84 dB. Revving it up some increased it to 96 dB. I'm not sure what the original baffles would read as I didn't think to do a read on them before swapping. I definitely like the deeper tone of the original baffles better, but I don't dislike the sound of the QC either. It's definitely easier on my ears volume-wise. I'm going on a good 2-3 hour ride tomorrow with my father-in-law, so I'll get a good bit of seat time with the new baffles in. For now, I still stand by my previous opinion. If you want a loud, in-your-face sound, stick with the original baffles in the slashdowns. If you want a little quieter and tamer sound, get the Quiet Cores. Either way, they both sound great and sound a lot better than the Cobra slip-on.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
In a chopper...that's leaking oil? That makes me feel uneasy sitting safely in my office right now.
I was in the same type aircraft, Boog and I talked about it , I flew with a swimmer that was one of his instructors. We used to say it was the Harley of helicopters.......It was the worse leaking aircraft on the flightdeck, but it was the most reliable, in 2 very long cruises we only missed one launch and that one we were only 3 minutes late for the launch, but we missed the time , so it was a missed launch. No other aircraft had that reliability record.But when working inside you always wore a helmet liner or your hair would be full of hydraulic fluid of some type.

·
Registered
622 Posts
So after getting home from work in the bike Michael wanted to cruise the neighborhood together so we took both bikes and cruised around for a bit. Came home, let it cool off and then gave it a bath. First bath it’s probably had in a few months and over 3000 miles other than just wiping it off with a little dry wash stuff.

Did find where my rain pants melted to the exhaust and to the rear cylinder head chrome. So guess next thing is to try to get that off and polished out.

Any suggestions for removing the rain pant material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have experience with that one , Trish melts stuff on exhaust regularly. Get the bike hot and use 4 oooo steel wool , works great and doesn't leave big marks.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts
Great pictures, the smile is priceless. Enjoy theses times, they are special.

Reactions: Boog and matthewd92

·
Registered
269 Posts
I installed a Shinko front SE890 Journey Touring Radial

13039 miles miles on the original stock tire, probably could have gotten a few more miles but there was some cupping causing a wobble at slow speeds.

The hardest part was trusting the direction of arrow. It seems like the groves will pull the water into the center of the tire. Will have to trust the engineers know what they are doing.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
946 Posts
@vito yes it was the Potomac and I do work in Laurel from time to time.

A few other helicopters leak even more, some they can even top off while they are flying like the mighty H-46. It is funny to watch passengers who are unaware. When they see a crewman get up with an oil bowser and start pumping oil into the rear transmission. Priceless...

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
304 Posts
So after getting home from work in the bike Michael wanted to cruise the neighborhood together so we took both bikes and cruised around for a bit. Came home, let it cool off and then gave it a bath. First bath it’s probably had in a few months and over 3000 miles other than just wiping it off with a little dry wash stuff.

Did find where my rain pants melted to the exhaust and to the rear cylinder head chrome. So guess next thing is to try to get that off and polished out.

Any suggestions for removing the rain pant material?

I have had good luck with oven cleaner can't remember the name of it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I installed a Shinko front SE890 Journey Touring Radial

13039 miles miles on the original stock tire, probably could have gotten a few more miles but there was some cupping causing a wobble at slow speeds.

The hardest part was trusting the direction of arrow. It seems like the groves will pull the water into the center of the tire. Will have to trust the engineers know what they are doing.
I had the same feeling when I installed my new Metzler front tire recently. Seems like the grooves are backwards. But I’ve ridden in quite a few rain storms and so far all is good.

4581 - 4600 of 4644 Posts