Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4601 - 4620 of 4644 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
UPDATE TO THIS PREVIOUS POST:
Parked it with an oil leak. Got about a half mile from my house yesterday and the red oil light came on. Turned right around and got it in the garage. Noticed the mat I park on was squishy with oil (multi-colored pattern throw rug...cannot see there was oil on it).
Under the bike...oil all over the crankcase. I had somewhere to be so I left it. I am hoping it is just the oil filter worked loose.

Checked the bike yesterday. I am 99.99% certain it was a loose oil filter. I drained the oil, pulled the filter. Filter did not have any holes, O ring was intact. No damage or oil source in or around where the filter screws on. Oil was only oil, no coolant mixed in. I checked all the bolts I could get to, none were loose. New filter, new oil, ran it for about 10 minutes. This morning...no drips, no leak.

Bad part is, I only drained out 2 quarts. Thing was 1.5 qts down.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,117 Posts
Bad part is, I only drained out 2 quarts. Thing was 1.5 qts down.
Why is that a bad part? You didn't ride far, and the low oil light did its job. No way did that harm the bike.

I think you will be right about it being the oil filter housing. Just because of how much oil it lost just sitting there. That's not your typical seeping seal or gasket.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,117 Posts
I replaced my voltage inverter/regulator yesterday. Put the mufflers back on this morning. Getting a good steady 14.x volts on it this morning. The battery held good strong voltage for a week while sitting, so it seems to have survived running down low and the erratic voltage spikes. Going riding in a little while.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Why is that a bad part? You didn't ride far, and the low oil light did its job. No way did that harm the bike.

I think you will be right about it being the oil filter housing. Just because of how much oil it lost just sitting there. That's not your typical seeping seal or gasket.
Bad part is I rode to Bethany Beach, DE two weeks or so ago and that is about 300 miles round trip. The bike was parked since, until the oil light incident. My thought is I was losing oil on that ride and who knows how far back before that, but not enough for the light to come on. The really bad part is I grew lax on checking the bike over before the trip. I might have caught this at that point.

The housing and that entire area under the bike is fine. I think it was a drip every few seconds...for a lot of seconds, faster when the bike was hot. Nothing leaking now, I will have a chance to ride it and get it warmed up tomorrow. I think it's going to be ok. I did have to toss the rug the bike sat on...a very oily mess.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Was out on a group ride yesterday with my SCRC chapter when the leader flagged us to a stop and had me pull up, turns out my headlight had just burned out. Luckily flipped on the high beam and finished the ride without incident so I purchased a new Silverstar Ultra and installed it this evening to get ready for the week. Man, it’s a lot brighter and definitely more white than what was in there. Tried to get a photo but it was really washing out the shot.

Just need to get the switch back lights for the turn signals and I should be a lot easier to see from the front.

How do you get the bulbs out of the driving lights? I couldn’t find a way to take them apart tonight when I was looking, honestly didn’t spend too long looking as I needed to get dinner on the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I want to get the switchbacks, other stuff keeps getting put in front of it .
I did find out something about the Stratoliner headlight bulbs, I can put a high beam bulb in place of the low beam bulb. It is a lot brighter, it has two separate reflectors that is the only difference.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
304 Posts
I put the mounting on for the windscreen. I got a email telling me Memphis Shades stopped production on the windshield I ordered. So I told the girl to just send something they have in stock the same size and will go with the mount kit I have. Maybe have one here in a couple days. I had ordered a night shades model with black framing guess I am getting just a clear one with polished framing. I will probably get burned on it a little. I didn't ask the price.
I will try getting what I want over the winter for next year.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Put on a new (to me) stock exhaust system. Was expecting to have to modify to make it fit but nope. Went together in 5 minutes and I went out for short night ride. Nice sound. Now I have a set of Cobra slash slip ons to get rid of... anybody? :p

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic
39 Posts
Took off the front fender, painted my forks black a few days ago. I switched out the bars a few weeks ago as well as the grips and kuryakyn atto brake/turn signals. New tank stickers that say "Yamaha" in Japanese. Gave it another clean and polish this weekend.
IMG_20200912_192134.jpg

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts
Took off the front fender, painted my forks black a few days ago. I switched out the bars a few weeks ago as well as the grips and kuryakyn atto brake/turn signals. New tank stickers that say "Yamaha" in Japanese. Gave it another clean and polish this weekend.
View attachment 98849
Looking good, nice clean look.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,683 Posts
Today while on a ride noticed my cruise control would not activate. Didn't think a whole lot about it as I don't use it a lot. I came into a little town and got stopped at a light. Had a big truck with a big chrome bumper and could see my tail lights. Hit the front brakes a few times and could see they were working. I was thinking maybe a brake light switch was stuck on as that would stop the cruise from working. When I got home I checked things out a little more. When I stepped on the rear brake, no lights, meaning issue with rear brake light switch which would not allow cruise to work. So, I looked at brake light switch and one of the was off. Put it on and all is working now. So, did something catch under the bike and pull the wire? Possibly, look at the connector on right, looks like the wire sleeve that is over the actual wire is pulled back slightly. Or did the questionable mechanic (me) forget to plug the connector all the way in. Oh well, either way, it's fixed.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Matt, you unscrew the bolts holding the chrome trim rings and lenses as it comes off as one piece. Un clip the bracket holding the bulb in place and just the reverse the order with the new bulbs in. I bought mine from Superbright LED’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4601 - 4620 of 4644 Posts