Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4721 - 4740 of 4778 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,532 Posts
I got my wheels from the shop and I’m going to re-spray them this weekend. After finding out what it would cost to have them powder coated, I decided to re-spray them myself. So I bought some Krylon paint designed for the aluminum wheels and I’m going to go for it. I’ll post some pics along the way, I’m going for a semi gloss black look since the bike is silver, with black accents and chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006, Yamaha, Royal Star Tour Deluxe
108 Posts
Hi everybody,
Friday evening, I have finished the install of passing lights for my RSTD 06. I ordered the light bar somewhere in Europe, the original was not available, the site was selling only the headlights, but no light bar…
Anyway, after struggling with the producer and the delivery date, I have finally received two items, the concerned light bar, custom made and an radiator cover, for Venture, that was my mistake, I forgot to ask to produce one cover without the “Venture” mark…my bad…
During this operation, I found that the main headlight has some rust spots, so I take the necessary measures, I applied some “rust killer” with a brush…also, (as per my bad habit), I try to clean again everything… Anyway, after rebuilding of this barn, hopefully in the very next months, a massive clean action will be my second priority…for winter season.
You can find below some photos taken during the “operation”, it was really fun, and in my defense, I can say that everything worked from the first test. Only the radiator cover has suffered a minor intervention, the top “ear” was transformed in order to be assembled faster…I was not curious/too lazy to disassemble some hoses and the thermostat from radiator…
DSC_2117.JPG
DSC_2121.JPG

DSC_2131.JPG
DSC_2133.JPG
DSC_2143.JPG
DSC_2145.JPG
DSC_2146.JPG
DSC_2151.JPG
DSC_2152.JPG
DSC_2153.JPG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, this configuration is my idea, is not original, but I love it…maybe I will replace the halogen bulbs with led, but this will be another job, maybe for the next year…also the main headlight, perhaps will suffer some changing, from this point of view, after it will be tested “on road” condition, I will take the necessary action.
PS. During the weekend, I did not move the bike, one small support that fix the main headlight was not finished as per my intention, so it was not OK to run the tests…
DSC_2161.JPG
DSC_2162.JPG
DSC_2165.JPG

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,111 Posts
@Lup69 Great looking lights and yes, that radiator cover is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
7,532 Posts
Well today I picked up the RoadStar from the shop with the new Shinkos. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Smoother ride, handles so much better, especially with the wider rear tire, and gone is the feeling that the steering head gear was wearing out. I sprayed the wheels solid black to go with the black and silver on the bike. I’m not a Raiders fan, but the black wheels set it off. Here’s a few pics, tell me what y’all think.

The rear wheel isn’t as easily seen, but it’s also black.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,017 Posts
Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
721 Posts
Looks really good. What size rear tire did you go with? How much was the set? I’m approaching 8k miles on the Metzler rear tire on mine, still has decent tread depth around the middle of the tire so have some more miles but guessing I’ll need a new one before the end of the year.

·
9,017 Posts
Ordered a Grasshopper back rest a few days ago and it came in. Here's my install and first impressions.

Open box and pull parts out:

Pull dirty bike into middle of garage:

Took seat off, one thumb screw, clean first layer of dirt off.

Take off two nuts

Put bracket on and tighten bolts

Put seat on

Slide backrest in and I think it looks pretty good.

Went for short ride, I LOVE IT! Makes me sit straighter, a good thing. Hits in middle of back, another good thing. For those who said bracket seemed light weight, I would suggest you check your BMI. This thing is sturdy. I'll post more about it after my ride to work and back tomorrow. After ride I put tools up, then noticed directions, I read them then, looks like I did it right. From first picture to last was 9 minutes, so yes, simple easy install.

·
Super Moderator
7,532 Posts
Hey Matt, sorry for the delay but tonight was date night and I had the day off.
The rear tire is a 180/65-16 Shinko 777HD reinforced sidewall. It’s nearly 1.5 inches wider than the stock size and it was less than $140. I wanted the stronger sidewall because of the weight of the bike. Rides and handles so much better!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I love my backrest @lesblank ; I took it off once, what a mistake. It keeps me in the saddle correctly. I have a tendency to want to sit too far back and it causes the seat pan to cause me lots of discomfort.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@ lesblank:
Very nice presentation, good decision to buy the backrest. When I bought my RSTD, the previous owner said that the backrest was not mounted due to the discomfort of hop in and out from the saddle, especially for the not so tall riders, but from my personal point of view this is nothing compared with the sensations and improved condition of riding...I insisted to mount this backrest, although I'm not sure that is the original, but after this, for me is the natural way of riding...Maybe for this reason I have not ride my other bike, I became so … "lazy"..

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Reactions: Lup69

·
9,017 Posts
Update on backrest after ride in to work this morning, 18 miles which half if freeway.

How did I ride all these years without a backrest? I sit up straighter and it's relaxing since I have something to lean against. True, I do have to do a little more of a karate kick to clear the backrest when getting on, but no big deal. If you were ever border line like I was for years, I recommend to get one. Here's a better daylight picture.

4721 - 4740 of 4778 Posts