Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 4781 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I put my first backrest on shortly after I started riding and that was on a scooter. I've had one on every bike since and won't consider buying a bike if I can't put a backrest on it.

I just sold my Road Glide and have been obsessing, driving myself insane, reading about all the bikes I can, trying to figure out what I'll replace it with. The Honda CTX 1300, even though it is very different, seems like it might meet my needs almost perfectly. It was only made for two years and is not well supported. From what I've been able to find, there is no backrest for it, so I have discounted it.

As for mounting the bike, I'll swing my leg up and forward with my foot going over the gas tank. With a backrest, I'd never be able to get my foot to swing over the back seat and clear the backrest.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,017 Posts
Yea, but as short as I am this is what I probably looked like. But once I made it all was good.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have a Ultimate backrest that came with the seat and I can't use it. It puts too much pressure on my bad back. I have the same trouble with the backrest in a car. It puts both of my legs asleep in just over an hour,then we have to stop so I can unnumb my legs to feel the gas pedal.All that money for a backrest I can't use.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Looks good Les. I had the same experience with mine. It forces me to sit up straighter and my back thanks me for it. My only complaint, which is minor, is that mine mounts using the single bolt that holds my drivers seat on and it has loosened up once. It’s not a big deal - just something I have to keep an eye on. Overall I’m very happy with mine.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The classic had one when i bought it. I didn't find any value with it. I removed it and gave it to my friend with back problems and he wouldn't part with it.Guess i am fortunate not to have back problems.

·
Registered
678 Posts
converted the original halogen to a cool blue for a whiter light and small gain in intensity then a wax job before snow!

·
9,017 Posts
Like the look of the new bulb. I really feel for y'all having to hibernate your bike.

·
Registered
678 Posts
enjoy those snow cones boys and have one for me! I will take the snow rather than sweat out hurricanes, tornadoes, weeks of 100F and floods anytime.😅😂😇

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2006 V-Star 650 15k miles. Paid 1100 it wouldn’t run only idle. So I rebuilt the carbs and got her revving up nicely. Changed the oil found gas in the oil (not unexpected due to bad carbs) went through and cleaned the bike did minor paint work and polished the chrome. I went to service the splines because everyone says always service the splines. Well not knowing the bikes history and found I had no oil in the final drive and the pinion bearing blown out. No other damage. Went on eBay and found a full replacement final drive from a 2007 for 249.00 deal of the day! Considering they run 400 or better usually. My local salvage yard wanted 600 for the part. Yikes!! But that’s been my day. Good thing I haven’t ridden it yet. Might have locked that rear ended up and crashed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2006 V-Star 650 15k miles. Paid 1100 it wouldn’t run only idle. So I rebuilt the carbs and got her revving up nicely. Changed the oil found gas in the oil (not unexpected due to bad carbs) went through and cleaned the bike did minor paint work and polished the chrome. I went to service the splines because everyone says always service the splines. Well not knowing the bikes history and found I had no oil in the final drive and the pinion bearing blown out. No other damage. Went on eBay and found a full replacement final drive from a 2007 for 249.00 deal of the day! Considering they run 400 or better usually. My local salvage yard wanted 600 for the part. Yikes!! But that’s been my day. Good thing I haven’t ridden it yet. Might have locked that rear ended up and crashed.
Couple of before and after photos my garage is kinda dark

·
Registered
678 Posts
surely, you're referring to those softies in Fl. and Tx who luv boasting about riding year round! Heck, you haven't lived til you experience 8ft of lake effect snow in 2 days or temps -25F below zero. Hardy man.... just hardy. 😋😁

Reactions: fozzie and lesblank

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Heck, you haven't lived til you experience 8ft of lake effect snow in 2 days or temps -25F below zero.
I grew up in Kansas City area, I experience minus temps growing up, I left San Diego at 74*, 30 hours of driving later we were at my Mom and Dad's, that night it snowed 3 feet, I told them the next day " I love you guys but I am never coming home again in the winter" I didn't know where I was going to live, it just wasn't going to be in snow ever again. I ended up in Pensacola in the Navy and stayed, that was 40 years ago.

·
9,017 Posts
Didn't have a snow cone but did have a drum stick after dinner, does that count?

4741 - 4760 of 4781 Posts