Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

4761 - 4778 of 4778 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,017 Posts
spent 2 1/2 hours getting a stripped screw out of my new Indian just to put on a passenger seat. my 950 watched in sadness. and disappointment.
Bummer. Did you get it all put back together? We need pictures.

·
Registered
118 Posts
surely, you're referring to those softies in Fl. and Tx who luv boasting about riding year round!
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Heck, you haven't lived til you experience 8ft of lake effect snow in 2 days or temps -25F below zero. Hardy man.... just hardy. 😋😁
I grew up in RI. I remember the blizzard of '78. The entire state was shut down for a week. I was walking in snow up to my crotch (I have a 34" inseam). One town got 55" of snow. Many people died, trapped in their cars on the highway.

I moved to FL in 2001. I used to laugh at the people who would put on parkas and mittens when the temp went below 60. But you know what? I haven't had to shovel any snow since I moved to FL.

·
Registered
118 Posts
spent 2 1/2 hours getting a stripped screw out of my new Indian just to put on a passenger seat. my 950 watched in sadness. and disappointment.
I don't know, this 650 is my first Yamaha and I'm new to this brand. I've never had an Indian. I hear all you guys talking s%&t about how reliable Yamaha is when compared to others. Is this another example?

Brand spanking new, fresh out of the box, the Indian's screws are stripped. The Yamaha sits there shaking its head in disappointment. What am I missing?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
surely, you're referring to those softies in Fl. and Tx who luv boasting about riding year round! Heck, you haven't lived til you experience 8ft of lake effect snow in 2 days or temps -25F below zero. Hardy man.... just hardy. 😋😁
Last winter i rode my classic at least once in every month. I do have to admit first time in 43 years. I don't ever want to see 8' of snow 2' is plenty enough

·
Administrator
14,408 Posts
I don't know, this 650 is my first Yamaha and I'm new to this brand. I've never had an Indian. I hear all you guys talking s%&t about how reliable Yamaha is when compared to others. Is this another example?

Brand spanking new, fresh out of the box, the Indian's screws are stripped. The Yamaha sits there shaking its head in disappointment. What am I missing?
i bought it used with 1,000 miles on it. my guess is either the previous owner needed to get under the seat or he had someone at the dealership need to. it's had a recall fix done on it so my guess is it was taken to a dealership and when they performed the recall they needed to update the ECM and had to get under the seat to connect their tuning equipment and one of their workers doesn't know how to properly screw in a bolt or check for torque specs. either way, a stripped screw doesn't really factor into a bike's reliability in my opinion.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
348 Posts
I pulled the 01 Road Star out of the garage and took it for a ride and spruced it up a little I am selling it. I really don't need 2 motorcycles.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,111 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
That phrase really does not make any sense at all. At minimum we all need at least two bikes; what does one ride if one bike is down?
Yeh I guess I will be beating feet down the road. I can't see having it sit in my garage when someone could be riding it. It has lots of miles left in it that I will never use up. It will go cheap so someone can enjoy it.

·
9,017 Posts
Got an email this morning saying my new rear tire I had ordered was in. I was at the doctor's with wife getting her stitches out after eye surgery, she got a clean bill of health, :). Of course I had promised her that I would run a few errands with her today. Should have seen me, pushing the cart up and down the isles at the grocery store, I was making a race track out of the center displays. She finally said that one stop was good enough and we could go home. (y). I hadn't plan on doing the tire today, but next day off will be Sunday. So let's do this. Get home, call Cycle Gear to confirm, yes, they have it, and no wait to get tire mounted. Never changed rear tire on this bike, new one's were put on when I bought it. After a few videos and tablet out with repair manual I begin. First, get bike on jack:

Take off saddle bags, two thumb screws:

Then I measured belt tension, it was at 7\16 with 10 pounds on belt, then marked the eccentric on both side to use a reference point later.

Remove E clip with screw driver.

Loosen axle nut, 1 1/2 inch socket.

To push axle out, I put a smaller socket on extension so threads on axle wouldn't get messed up, tap with hammer.

The axle would only go so far without hitting lower saddle bag bar, manual or videos didn't mention this. So three bolts later bar is off.

Pull axle out

Pushed tire forward and moved belt off sprocket.

Jacked bike up as far as it would go to let tire drop down to remove. You have to lean tire sideways as jack only goes up so far, no biggy.

More to follow, hit limit of pictures.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You had the bike lowered is why the saddlebag guard was in the way :cool:

·
9,017 Posts
Rear tire change, part 2:

Not much tread left. This was with 16,400 miles, Michelin Commander 2. Could have gone a bit further but the tire had lost it's roundness and at times felt like it was falling off a cliff when leaning into a curve.

Load up wheel, head to Cycle Gear. I hate Houston traffic, took over two hours to get home. Yes, some boards under front tire for support and balance.

But here's new tire mounted, Michelin Commander 3.

Installing was just a reverse of taking off. About only time consuming part was getting axle back in. You have a washer, spacer and bearing on one side, then bearing spacer, brake caliper bracket and washer on the other. Took a bit of wiggle, wiggle, turn, hit, lift tire this way, then that way, push tire a little forward, then back. Finally got it, but took a few minutes.

Lined up my eccentric makes when reinstalled and belt measured exactly the same, love when a plan comes together.

Here is is done, ready for test ride. Only went out for about 10 miles, stop and go, several turns and speed up to 65. Felt good, that normal new tire feel that it corners better. Nothing fell off, no strange noises and brakes work. Think I'm good. Forgot to mention, Commander 2 on front with plenty of tread. Also, when rear tire was off I took a touque wrench to all those bolts you can't reach with the tire on, I was surprised, nothing was loose. Belt showed no sighs of wear, neither teeth or sides. Total time including spending over 2 hours in traffic was 5 hours.

This tire has some deep threads.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I pulled the 01 Road Star out of the garage and took it for a ride and spruced it up a little I am selling it. I really don't need 2 motorcycles. View attachment 99851
FirefighterMO is coming to take the bike for an afternoon and see if he wants to buy it. Be cool if someone from the site buys it. I will still get to see pics of it.

4761 - 4778 of 4778 Posts