Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

5041 - 5060 of 5102 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I got my 'garage' delivered. It will be home for my bike as well as wood shop & storage. It's a 14' X 24' with reinforced flooring. I'm getting power run to it next (electrician is preparing my heart attack - uh, price quote now), then spray foam insulation & it will be ready for use.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
118 Posts
Turns out the new longer pms screws I got from a well known vendor in Aus just simply shake themselves loose when the bike is running... removed them and installed the standard pms screws again. On a positive note, I'm getting really good at adjusting the pms screws. Bike runs great so may not have to adjust anything more for a while. 🤞

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
118 Posts
Stared at it my garage for a good five minutes waiting for temperatures in Ohio to be above 45*-50*. :(
I know that feeling...

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
994 Posts
Had a fairly productive Saturday, despite taking wife to work, picking her up four hours later, making dinner, taking wife and some of her friends to a birthday party, and picking them up again by midnight. Yes, I sometimes wonder who's the man in the household myself 🤣

First up, I removed the side fairings on the CBF, the left because it will be painted and to gain access, the right to gain access. Access to enlarge the front mounting holes on the bracket holding the fairing, since they didn't line up perfectly. And to fit a temp gauge as well as replacing the control unit for the heated grips.

The temp gauge caused some pain to hook up because you cannot see inside the fairing, but after some faffing it was in place. I connected 12v positive to the positive of on of the ignition coils.

I strapped the sensor to the frame after putting a rubber patch in between.

Next on the list was replacing the wonky v.7 control with a v.8 for the heated grips. It is simpler (the extra control box is omitted), more reliable and meant to be connected directly to the battery because it shuts itself off when the charging stops. First, the fuel tank had to be lifted to gain access to remove the old, and fit the new, power cables. It is a rat's nest under there!

Oxford heater controls comes with a zinc finish for the mounting bracket and spacers, as well as the longer bolts needed for the clutch master pump clamp. I used black shrink wrap on the spacers, painted the bracket black and found some black bolts with paint flaking a little. Still less obtrusive than before.

Not mine, but the stock setup and old control unit

With this done, I could remove the stock windscreen.

Followed by fitting the new Calsci windscreen, promising much better protection from the elements as well as noise. A beauty it is not, but fit and finish is perfect. I fitted it in its tallest position, just like the stock fairing had been fitted.

I could now refit the RHS side fairing - after fitting some new anti-vibration patches and making up some special mounting bolts - but the LHS must wait until I have prepped it and the saddlebags and painted the lot. Then I removed the front fender, cleaned and sanded the inside where it was to make contact, and glued a Fenda Extenda to the back end. Even with this, the fender is no longer than the standard fender on the NT650V - to which I also fitted an extender. I like long fenders. While not always sexy, they are practical! The instructions said to clamp the extender for at least 12 hours, so here it is resting.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,474 Posts
Wow, you did have a busy day. Good work on your projects.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks! It is not the big jobs that take the most time, it is finding safe routes for the wiring, where to gather up and fasten the plugs and surplous wire lengths without restricting the steering, refreshing threads, making spacers etc. But luckily, l enjoy these things. My wife OTOH will climb the walls after fiddling for just a few seconds with whatever. She very good at other things, though :cool:(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yesterday I was planning on going for a ride because it was 55 but when I got the start button I got the distinctive grinding rocks sound that I was afraid was coming. So today I am pricing out starter clutch kits :cry:

The upside is it broke in the garage and didn't have to be brought back!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It has been starting weird these last couple months but I just figured it was the cold weather. But yesterday I got a couple weird sounding slow cranks out of it then it just started whining and sounds like grinding metal.

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300
419 Posts
Run more power than you think you'll ever use. If running a trench for power , go deeper and run a waterline too. You can also put in a separate 3 line wire to hook up a 3 way light switch from the house (or switched plug ). You can light the way before going outside or turn on a heater to make it toasty prior ro going out.(I wish I did these things 25 years ago).

·
Registered
994 Posts
It has been starting weird these last couple months but I just figured it was the cold weather. But yesterday I got a couple weird sounding slow cranks out of it then it just started whining and sounds like grinding metal.
A weak battery can cause the starter relay to fail under load, even it it is just fine. Are you positive your battery is fine and delivering enough juice in the cold? Also, that all terminals are perfect re contact.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got my 'garage' delivered. It will be home for my bike as well as wood shop & storage. It's a 14' X 24' with reinforced flooring. I'm getting power run to it next (electrician is preparing my heart attack - uh, price quote now), then spray foam insulation & it will be ready for use.

View attachment 103329
In addition to the water lines, run cable and internet. Add it now and it won’t add that much to the expense, cost more to add later.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Bled front and rear brake lines.
The rolling test made me smile. The putting in first gear applying the brake test. Made me smile even more.
So ... Once there is a dryer spell of weather. I will take BB for a test ride to make sure I am happy.
As the writing of this post, I am 99.9% sure everything is on target as it should be. Once the test makes it 100%, I'll reinstall the hard saddle bags. AND then I should be good for the season. (Well, until I will need an oil change.)

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A weak battery can cause the starter relay to fail under load, even it it is just fine. Are you positive your battery is fine and delivering enough juice in the cold? Also, that all terminals are perfect re contact.
I know the old battery was weak so I replaced it hoping that that would fix the problem but it didn't. I didn't think to clean off the terminals before reconnecting so I will try that and will also pull the starter and check that before opening up motor.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Run more power than you think you'll ever use. If running a trench for power , go deeper and run a waterline too. You can also put in a separate 3 line wire to hook up a 3 way light switch from the house (or switched plug ). You can light the way before going outside or turn on a heater to make it toasty prior ro going out.(I wish I did these things 25 years ago).
I plan ( and am getting it wired for) to install a mini-spilt a/c & heat system. We will be storing stuff I don't want exposed to the heat and humidity down here.

In addition to the water lines, run cable and internet. Add it now and it won’t add that much to the expense, cost more to add later.
It's about 15 feet away from the wifi router.

Reactions: Jo hart

·
Registered
994 Posts
I know the old battery was weak so I replaced it hoping that that would fix the problem but it didn't. I didn't think to clean off the terminals before reconnecting so I will try that and will also pull the starter and check that before opening up motor.
Check also the terminal on the starter - it is quite exposed and can corrode. I presume the XVS is similar to the XV1100, in which case you have the battery terminals, the starter relay terminals and the starter terminal. Plus ground between engine and frame, which also needs to be perfect. Of course, you still may end up learning that you need a new starter clutch in the end, but at least you will have started off with the simplest and cheapest points.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,474 Posts
Have you had a chance to ride with them installed? If so, how did they work?

5041 - 5060 of 5102 Posts