Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

5221 - 5240 of 5269 Posts

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
79 Posts
I remember from the days of points and condensers that doing that could smoke a set of points. Not sure how true that is.
That's my memory as well. I don't think today's electronics care. Never really understood why, but I was told to never do it. Holy cow I do NOT miss having to mess with point gap and dwell and twisting the distributor to get the timing right.... Young folk don't know what they're missing.... haha

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I like point distributors, I was really good at them.
I like the old Harleys that you had to retard the spark or fly or the handlebars. They had a spark advance on a left handed twist grip , like a left side throttle

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,500 Posts
The risk was burning out the pickup module. But early pickup modules were not so robust to begin with. You hardly ever hear of failures in todays cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took the rear wheel off and had a new tire installed. After I dropped the wheel off at the speed shop for the new tire fitment I drove to the closest Honda dealer and picked up a tube of the Moly grease for the final drive. Cleaned the final drive out real good and applied some new moly, also drained the fluid and refilled with good Castrol stuff. Got it all out back together and took it for a quick test drive. Rides great! I’ve rode the bike all week to work since it’s been in the low 90s here in Tucson, regrettably on a tire that needed desperately to be changed. All good now.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well I was on the road all day (in my cage) but when I got home there was a package on the counter for the LED headlight bulb. So I put it in so I now have a low beam light again. I seldom ride at night but I'll have to take it out some evening to see how it does.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I put the fairing together today and modified the mounting points so it clears the bars. Took it out for a test ride and really like it. Much less wind on me, especially the hands. Now I just need to order the stereo and speakers for it. I’ll probably also have a custom windshield made out of polycarbonate, it came with acrylic.

I’m going to order a trunk shortly for it as well and then have them both painted to match the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,991 Posts
Looking good Matt! Love my fairing, yesterday we rode over to Atlanta for my daughter’s birthday and met up with GArider for lunch. It was a tad windy, but clear and sunny. Got home just after dark, and the light bar with the LEDS really lit up the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
1,125 Posts
Finally got the carbs off the 650 Classic to find out why they overflow, and to learn the rotation direction of the TPS so l can order a new one and replace it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My buddy came over today and showed me how to install new grips on the Stratoliner. I ordered the OEM grips because BrakeAway says those are the only ones they assure will fit. The end weights are on back order until May 8, so those still need to be installed.

After the grips, we installed the Brake Away cruise control. It took longer to install than I remember. The problem we had, was getting all the pieces to the correct alignment on the bike. There are 5 different screw/bolts to position. It seems like you need to have all 5 loose, while at the same time all 5 tight, so everything lines up. In the end, we got it working. Didn't get a chance to ride it yet.

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Nothing to my bike. A lady friend of mine need help with her 07 Honda Shadow 750. Areo model I think.
It needed a new battery. So I ordered and put that in. Would crank but not start.
So today I went over and volt metered the new battery. Good on numbers. So I took the air clear off. Sprayed a little started fluid in and bam! It kick over. So I sprayed some carb cleaner in. Let it sit a few. It kicked over and stayed running.
So while I was putting everything back on and letting it warm up. I noticed it was leaking out the petcock. Damn it!
It leaked in on and res. position. But not in off.
Ordering a replacement.
5 steps forward. Then two back.

Ride smart. Ride often.

5221 - 5240 of 5269 Posts