Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

5321 - 5340 of 5403 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
224 Posts
Layed my bike down last night to avoid an accident, not a lot of damage and a sore wrist. Time and money will make it all better.
Good to hear you are ok! (y)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So I spent a few hours in the garage last night, finally got to bed around 1. I tackled a couple of projects with the new fairing. The stereo and speaker I ordered this week came in, can’t believe Amazon took more than a day to deliver my stuff!

First task was getting a surround made for the stereo as the fairing has a cutout for a marine stereo enclosure which I decided I really didn’t want. So I used one 1/4 polycarbonate and made a filler plate and then painted it black to match the current fairing color.

Test fitting the stereo.

While the paint dried and I had the poly sheet out I decided to make a shorter windshield for the bike. I used the existing one to copy contours from and then cut it out and sanded the edge. It’s not perfect but it let me experiment with a different height windshield for nothing more than an hour of my time. If I decide this is what I want I’ll model one in CAD and have our local plastic shop cut one on the CNC router.

Here it is being test fit and compared to the old windscreen. I like how the lines on this one flow much better than the original from the fairing to the screen

Next I tackled getting the speakers installed. I had to get the trusty sander out and tweak the speaker grills some to fit properly against the fairing but it looks pretty clean to me, I love the look!

After everything was mounted I completed the initial wiring and made sure all 4 speakers are working correctly. I need to finish the permanent power circuit today after work as I’m planning on adding a relay to control power to the fairing only when the key is on, if I can find a good switched source.

Want to add switches to the fairing for auxiliary lights at some point so I’m also adding a fuse panel and ground terminal strip in the fairing for future expansion.

Rode to work on the interstate and was pretty impressed, at interstate speeds you could still hear the music. Not as clear as my headphones but not bad for 70+ and wearing a full face helmet.

Look forward to weekend rides with my 3/4 or 1/2 helmets and cruising on the back roads. I only needed about 1/2 volume this morning below 50mph with the full face to have enjoyable tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
More work today, installed a new K&N filter. Definitely sounds better, feels crisper too on throttle response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Does that cruise control work with any grip? I have Avon grips on both my V-Star and my Harley and don't want to have to change them, as I like them a lot.
As was stated, if you go to their website, it will tell you what size you need to buy. Its pretty much based upon the diameter of the handlebars. They only guarantee that they will work with the stock grips. You may be able to use other grips but then again you may not.

I just installed one of these on the Stratoliner, this is the 3rd ones of these I've had. When I got the Strat, it had ISO grips which I did not like anyway. The Brake Away would not fit over those. I ordered and installed OEM grips and the part fits fine.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
518 Posts
Washed and polished and finally got out in the wind for a few miles!!
PXL_20210502_181818854.jpg

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Moved those Kellermann indicators up to the handlebars today. Works great! 👍

Reactions: Brad_G

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,173 Posts
Looks nice with good visibility. Nice job.

Reactions: Lanthus

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
2,086 Posts
I got the fuel pump installed on Yamato today and I can hear it loud and clear, unlike the old. It didn't start though, battery is weak and I need to get some more good fuel. This is what the inside of the aux fuel tank looked like before I cleaned it out.
182542388_742529219751740_3264616882814289364_n.jpg

Most of the crude syphoned out easy enough, the rest came out with my rag.

I will write up a new thread with my whole trial once I get the bike going. Working 11 hour days plus my commute has me a little tuckered out tonight.

@50 cal I hope you are feeling much better now that week has passed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Backed the Silverado out of the conex today, and pushed the snow blower up where the bike had been. Swapped in the Dynatek ignition module than fired her up.

Checked my tires, and they are in fact the originals made in 2004. Bought a set of new Bridgestones, after reading good things about them, to see how they compared to the original Dunlops. However, I discovered that the original tires on this bike are in fact Bridgestones, and my new tires are exactly the same as the originals, except of course for being 16 years newer.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Reconnected the battery tender....Gonna rain here for the next few days...😒😒

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Wet and cold here. Miserable... did absolutely nothing today, nothing with the bike, nothing with my life. 😱 I did open a lovely sherry to keep the cold at bay though... 😁🥳🎶

5321 - 5340 of 5403 Posts