Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

5421 - 5440 of 5469 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Definitely adds a very classic look. Nice.

Reactions: 79154

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
Nice look for something different. Looks like a courier during the cold war.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
106 Posts
Fitted a more "classic" looking side bag today. This will replace my other (perfectly good) bags which I will put up for sale soon. I bolted them on so they will NOT come off any time soon. :cool:
That is a super cool and unique look. Can't say that I've seen anything like that around these parts. Just curious, how is the other side mounted to avoid the bag touching the exhaust system...or are they designed to handle the heat?

·
Registered
2006, Yamaha, Royal Star Tour Deluxe
160 Posts
Hi,

I "took advantage" of the rainy weather and I cleaned the dust from the brake pads on the rear wheel, and the rust on pipes, at inner face, where the eye/hand reach rarely. If I already taking down the pipes I open them, I found only a small part of what it once had ... I replaced it, secured with mesh and wire, riveted with aluminum pop-rivets, polished the drums according to classic recipes, reassembled, sound test… I have reduced the noise in intensity by almost 10 decibels, compared to a similar test done last year. Maybe I can take her outside to do a test closer to those that the Germans do for example...

Because I was alone and I worked with gloves for keeping my skin out of fiber glas, I didn't take a photo at this stage, it was too complicated to ... blablabla ... LAZY!!!

For the curious, there are already videos on YouTube, what I did does not differ from them ...

The short story:

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
I too took advantage of the rain and took my left side saddlebag and front fender to my painter for a touch up. Then cleaned up the back end with some ceramic wax in preparation for our rally and summer rides. Bring on the sunshine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Well something went seriously wrong with the Stratoliner, either oil pump or crank bearing. I don't have a place to work on it and a shop wants $3,000 labor and $500 for gaskets to even found out what part failed. So until I found a 2001 , 1600 Roadstar with 18,000 miles that just needs carbs cleaned for $1,800 .

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well something went seriously wrong with the Stratoliner, either oil pump or crank bearing. I don't have a place to work on it and a shop wants $3,000 labor and $500 for gaskets to even found out what part failed. So until I found a 2001 , 1600 Roadstar with 18,000 miles that just needs carbs cleaned for $1,800 . View attachment 107003 View attachment 107004
That looks like it should clean up nicely. (y)

Sorry to hear about the Strat. What are your plans there?

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,602 Posts
Lemons >= Lemonade

Nice find, sorry for the circumstance

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I am still bouncing it around, Les and I discussed it, if someone wanted a project bike I would sell it to them, We figured out te value with all the added assec. if someone gave me $2,000 then had a shop fix it , it would still be at fair market value. They can hear it run it just has a bad whine right at the crank shaft , which is also where the oil pump is. With an engine stethascope you can pinpoint the sound to that location. It has a lot of rare after market parts, slip on muffler, front fender rails, hwy pegs for fatty bars, Ultimate seats, brand new clearview windshield, just the accessories I have over $2,000. Everything is in beautiful condition. That is why I am bummed and not sure what to do. I love that bike.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am still bouncing it around, Les and I discussed it, if someone wanted a project bike I would sell it to them, We figured out te value with all the added assec. if someone gave me $2,000 then had a shop fix it , it would still be at fair market value. They can hear it run it just has a bad whine right at the crank shaft , which is also where the oil pump is. With an engine stethascope you can pinpoint the sound to that location. It has a lot of rare after market parts, slip on muffler, front fender rails, hwy pegs for fatty bars, Ultimate seats, brand new clearview windshield, just the accessories I have over $2,000. Everything is in beautiful condition. That is why I am bummed and not sure what to do. I love that bike.
Had to check your profile to see if you had a pic. That is a beautiful bike. It is a shame to see you have issues with it. Just a quick poke and it would probably be cheaper to find a replacement engine/trans than to fix that one. But I don't know what kind of job it would be to swap one out. If this were a car it would be an avenue I'd consider.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
We are kicking that around, about $1,800. For me it would be hard. I have a bad back and leg. But I could do it. Just have to build a swap out cart to move it. And get an engine hoist.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
547 Posts
We are kicking that around, about $1,800. For me it would be hard. I have a bad back and leg. But I could do it. Just have to build a swap out cart to move it. And get an engine hoist.
Wish I were closer, I'd lend a hand. I think it would be cool to do. I've done many in cars over the years but never a bike.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Update, when I got the Roadstar it would sputter but not run. 3 hours later I have it running and took it around the block. Still need to rebuild the carb , kit is on order.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
@Jspree reach out to me and we did multiple diagnostic test to attempt to narrow down the issue. We concluded the oil flow wasn't right. All pointed toward oil pump failure resulting in possible bearing issues. It was sudden and not related to any maintenance items. It would be interesting to see what exactly failed and attempt to fiquire the cause. Unfortunately I'm too far away to assist, but would love to. Steve made the decision to cut his loses and get back on the road. I'm pleased he found what appears to be a great find just needing some TLC. I look forward to his posting about his new ride and making it his. Steve, you got this!!

5421 - 5440 of 5469 Posts