Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

5441 - 5460 of 5469 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Monday I finally cleaned up and installed the saddle bags on Kelley’s 650. We bought them off a kid in town who laid his bike down this winter when he hit a patch of ice. Messed up one of the bags a bit and bent the top frame inside the leather. I tried straightening it with no luck. Can’t get enough leverage without unriveting the leather. So I cleaned them with leather soap and put a couple of coats of lotion on them and they look a million times better. She loves them either way, definitely changes the character of the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Looks good, flows well with the bike.

·
Registered
547 Posts
@matthewd92 I've got a set of bags like that (I bought a pile of Road Star stuff) but they don't' look nearly that good (before you started). Amazing what a little elbow grease can accomplish.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
@matthewd92 I've got a set of bags like that (I bought a pile of Road Star stuff) but they don't' look nearly that good (before you started). Amazing what a little elbow grease can accomplish.
I picked up some Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner at Wally World. I was very impressed with it. Bought a pack of applicator pads, used a coarse terry cloth one to apply the cleaner and scrubbed the leather. Used a fine one to apply the conditioner. Let it soak in for a few minutes and wiped off the little excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Things went right, got up early (4:30am) had coffee and was on the road by 6:15am. Was going to wash the bike but rode instead, Should wash it this weekend when i wouldn't want to go up there anyway.
Temperature was perfect 78-80 degrees a little cooler the higher i went. Talked bikes with a guy getting gas.

Few phone pics

·
Registered
547 Posts
@matthewd92 thanks for the tip on the leather cleaner and conditioner. I may pick some up for the cars. The saddlebags had been stored in a damp area so the studs and buckles have bubbles and look sort of crappy. They had some hard bags I was most interested in. But it was a great deal if you bought the lot of items they had. So I took everything. Figured if someone wanted some bags that didn't need to look good but were functional I'd give them away.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I tell you it is just not fair, 2 weeks with no transportation, finally find the Roadstar , get it working good enough we could use it to go to the store or for a burger and it won't stop raining.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Fitted the handlebars I bought back when I had the rather insane idea of making my Classic into a scrambler. No, they are not particularly elegant. However, when I sit on the bike, shut my eyes and place my hands where it feels natural, they now land on the grips. So I hope it will be great for comfort as well as control over the bike.

I must also figure a way to mount heel supports about 4 inches aft of the floorboards to both give me a change of riding position as well as a way to stand up while riding.

Also fitted the low priced AirHawk replica. Only it does not hold any air 😂 Bought it through Wish, and text and image said it was inflatable through a valve. However, the actual seat has no valve, and I am pretty certain it just contains foam; pressing down hard let the indentation from my finger remain. Too funny :ROFLMAO: The good part is that Wish refunded the full amount, as well as letting me keep the counterfeit of a counterfeit, so I am going to try how it is to sit on for the duration tomorrow.

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
fixed my front turn signal that i've been ignoring for at least a year. then discovered the rear signal on the same side is also out. siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
fixed my front turn signal that i've been ignoring for at least a year. then discovered the rear signal on the same side is also out. siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
Keep this up you are going to be really good at light wiring issues. Hopefully the rear is an easy fix.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Rode 200 miles together with the youngest kid today, once more in splendid weather. Was eager to test out both the fake air seat pad as well as the scrambler style handlebars I fitted yesterday.

To cut a story short; the rump suffered about the same as before, but the extra seat height was nice. Basically, I need a thicker, firmer, better shaped seat.

The handlebars was better in some ways, worse in others. Since they are almost straight when seen from above, they give superior control and power compared to the stock handlebars. The position of the hands also feels more natural at first. However, I quickly learned that these bars vibrate massively once the rpm starts to close in on 4000/min. From 55 mph on, they start to become more and more intrusive, and above 60 the mirrors become virtually useless. Also, and this was surprising, after about 150 miles the muscles lining my spine tied themselves into nots, making the back scream in sympathy with the bum for the final 50 miles. Add in the odd tingling finger and a sore wrist (where I recently had a carpal-operation done), and the conclusion is that the stock bars will go back on. While not perfect, they offer the better compromise.

The worst offender with the bike, however, is the inability to ride standing up. It needs pegs to rest the heels on while leaving the toes on the floorboards, but I struggle to see how I can mount some. It will definitely take some fabricating to get around the side-stand and exhaust while remaining safe and useful.

·
Administrator
15,156 Posts
Keep this up you are going to be really good at light wiring issues. Hopefully the rear is an easy fix.
luckily (is it lucky?) these are easy fixes but just cumbersome. i had to peel off the wrap-around light to re-solder the wires and getting the plastic tube for the LED strip glued back on is a PITA and i'm probably going to have to do the same thing to the rear. i just re-installed both of these a couple years ago so it's frustrating i'm having to do it again. a better mechanic than i would have done a better job in the first place.

5441 - 5460 of 5469 Posts