Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
5521 - 5540 of 5589 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,278 Posts
Ok, back to the rest of the exhaust system. I need to remove the chrome covers to access some of the bolts holding the system on. But low and behold, those damn star screws stripped out and I could not remove the decorations.
20210705a.jpg

The right side of the crossover was not too hard to remove. Lucky for me as I discovered my 12mm socket has ran away. I could not get the boxed end on this bolt at all and the open end was not in a good position. But it came off easily enough without stripping.
20210705b.jpg

I got the boxed end securely on the left side but the chrome decoration was sure in the way.
20210705d.jpg

Now for the next hard part; removing the O2 sensor. The chrome part was even more in my way and I did not have the correct wrench to fit the sensor nut. I begrudgingly used a crescent wrench only to find i was not strong enough to loosen the nut. I used a cheater as seen in the second picture.
20210705e.jpg
20210705f.jpg

A correct sized socket sure would make this easier... As would being able to remove those chrome covers which once more, the hex screws stripped out.
20210705h.jpg

Once the header was off, I discovered that 5 of 6 studs came out of the block, dang it! I bet they won't be fun to get out of the flanges now. But that was all I could bear for now.
20210705i.jpg
20210705j.jpg
20210705k.jpg

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
Sounds like you are getting it done. A hand held impact is great for taking those star and hex head bolts off. Harbour Freight or any auto parts store will have it.

Reactions: faffi

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts

·
11,819 Posts
Depends on how stripped it is. I've got a set of these that makes it easy. You will need new bolts.

Reactions: faffi and Boog

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I installed these lights because the ones that came with the bike had died.
It should have only taken an hour to install. But, because it is me. It took almost 3 times as long. And I lost one of the screw that hold the odometer housing to the tank.
Anyone got an easy way to replace it?

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Registered
05 Road Star Midnight Silverado
5 Posts
I took out the end baffles from the exhaust to get a little bit more sound. It’s not as loud as I was expecting it to be but so far I’m happy with it.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,489 Posts
Made an attempt to make the seat more tolerable for longer rides - I find the shape and the lack of density to be poor on the stock seat of my 650 Classic.

I did not want to alter the base in case my attempt fails and I want to revert to stock. Here I have started the process of getting a fairly flat platform to start from:

Beginning to take shape. 8 cm, or slightly over 3 inches, thick very firm foam

To smooth out the worst of the unevenness I made a cover out of 5mm foam, sewn together like a normal seat cover, then glued in place

In the process of sewing up the actual cover

Wrapped in clingfilm to keep the water out of the foam. I knew this would make the cover fit less well since I could not glue it in place, but I do not like wet, smelly foam

Finished cover. This is by far the most complex cover I have made - only my sixth in 20 years, I really should practice more - and it was a challenge to get all the corners and shapes nice. The cover is better than the seat; the shape of the seat is not perfectly symmetrical. I guess there is a reason why people practice for years to become good upholster-craftsmen :rolleyes: 😄

Now I need to ride the bike to learn if is an improvement or not. In my experience, hard and flat seats are the most comfortable, but only time will tell if I have succeeded.

·
11,819 Posts
That looks really good. Waiting for a ride report.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
634 Posts
@Joe7299 how long has it been since the last change? That oil seems pretty dark (or is it just the way the pic came out). Just curious if it's that color on every change.

·
Registered
1979 Big Wheel
37 Posts
@Joe7299 how long has it been since the last change? That oil seems pretty dark (or is it just the way the pic came out). Just curious if it's that color on every change.
The drain pans had some nasty tractor gear lube in them I didn't clean out before I drained the bike oil.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,489 Posts
That looks really good. Waiting for a ride report.
The seat is not great. Much better than the stock item, especially as the day wore on, but I am still aware I have a rump while riding. The biggest difference is that the stock seat starts out OK, then degrades quickly until it is a torture rack. "My" seat is noticeable right away, as in a hot feeling in the glutes, but the seat will not compress over time. At all. After 4 hours in the seat I had some discomfort, but I was not in pain. On the stock seat, I would be in great pain. Or really bad pain would probably be a more correct description.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I successfully cut the windshield down by 2 inches. Was pretty nervous about doing it as replacement windshields are pretty pricey. The top of the windshield was right in my line of vision and really bugged me so I was determined to do it. Taped the windshield on both sides and drew my line where I wanted to cut it. I used a blade with really fine teeth made for laminate flooring and at the end the teeth were almost gone. Afterwards I sanded it to a smooth finish and peeled the tape off. Looks great and now I can see better when I ride.
I did the same thing and cut mine down. It was an older windscreen and when I pulled the tape off it was much clearer, the tape pulled off the old film on the thing. So I had to tape the rest of it to get it even.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I installed these lights because the ones that came with the bike had died.
It should have only taken an hour to install. But, because it is me. It took almost 3 times as long. And I lost one of the screw that hold the odometer housing to the tank.
Anyone got an easy way to replace it?

Ride smart. Ride often!
on the railroad those are called Ditch Lights.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
198 Posts
Replaced my 3+ year old OEM battery with an Deka AGM ETX20L today. Got my best price ($94.30 out the door) on the new battery from Lowe's, to my surprise. Terminal voltage was 11.9, now 12.4. Had a few scary near no starts in cold weather far from home during my April trip to Washington, but it always (eventually) lit off. I think the old one has enough in it to run a small inverter and power my TV next time the deep freeze comes to Texas. :p

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I decided that I had to remove the disk to better facilitate sanding the aluminum rim. I have not removed the front wheel yet but I have received the 19mm hex bit from Amazon to do so now.
Before I removed the disk, I had spent around 12 hours sanding by hand. This is hard but somewhat satisfying.
I bought a 1/4" ratchet and new Torx bit set to go with it. I used a cheater on the T40 Torx screw on the disk. The little ratchet was just not big enough to do the job without it.

And then this happened...

With a little patients nd proper torque application, I got the screws out. It took a rubber mallet to get the disk off.

Another day and a half and I have a slightly better looking aluminum rim. However, I feel spent now. I will get these powder coated shiny black (that should give me a few more MPH).

Of course, when I look into the process, I find that the shops usually bead blast the rims first, a job that takes less than an hour for both rims. I do not feel that I wasted my time sanding and cleaning this one rim. Instead, I gained knowledge about the process for future endeavors...

·
11,819 Posts
Looking good. I've spent many hours cleaning/polishing aluminum thru out the years. It can really get time consuming but when done I was always pleased with results. Looking forward to seeing finished product.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I decided that I had to remove the disk to better facilitate sanding the aluminum rim. I have not removed the front wheel yet but I have received the 19mm hex bit from Amazon to do so now.
Before I removed the disk, I had spent around 12 hours sanding by hand. This is hard but somewhat satisfying.
I bought a 1/4" ratchet and new Torx bit set to go with it. I used a cheater on the T40 Torx screw on the disk. The little ratchet was just not big enough to do the job without it.
View attachment 108044

And then this happened...
View attachment 108045

With a little patients nd proper torque application, I got the screws out. It took a rubber mallet to get the disk off.
View attachment 108046
Another day and a half and I have a slightly better looking aluminum rim. However, I feel spent now. I will get these powder coated shiny black (that should give me a few more MPH).
View attachment 108047
Of course, when I look into the process, I find that the shops usually bead blast the rims first, a job that takes less than an hour for both rims. I do not feel that I wasted my time sanding and cleaning this one rim. Instead, I gained knowledge about the process for future endeavors...
Those are going to look great. I love to sand blast, it makes such a big difference so fast. I still have a 80 lb. bag of black diamond in the garage for doing frames. I think I have a broken bag of bead out there also.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Looking good. I've spent many hours cleaning/polishing aluminum thru out the years. It can really get time consuming but when done I was always pleased with results. Looking forward to seeing finished product.
I have decided to sell my project bike; 1981 XS650 (Rusty) as I realize I am in way over my head with the idea of restoring the bike. Cleaning this bike has taught me lots about restoring and a man has got to know his limitations.

5521 - 5540 of 5589 Posts