Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
5601 - 5620 of 5660 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,251 Posts
Good looking exhaust there Boog! I agree with Uncle Les, patience pays off. Don’t forget to give pretty pillion her dues, reminds of when Monica jumps in and helps me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,068 Posts
I had sold my younger brother my 01 Road Star well we went to take a ride last nice and the bike just clicks. The cheap ebay start solenoid was not pulling. Pretty sure the contacts just welded together for a second. I took it out and bench tested it and started to work. He is ordering a good one to replace it, but works for now.

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,490 Posts
The tall one, stock I think, was way too tall, especially for me. So much better being able to look over instead of through.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
And of course, if we ever have a winter in this area again, you can always reinstall the taller windscreen for more protection...

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,610 Posts
Here as well. Plan to go for a wet ride tomorrow nonetheless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My nephew actually did the work, but after a failed petcock rebuild and 2 replacement petcocks, the fuel leak on my 07 is finally fixed!

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
760 Posts
Managed to get the bike on the work table. Tonight the front pulley and rear wheel come off. If the shaft bearings turn out to be OK, I'll order a new pulley and retaining nut. Mulling over replacing the belt and doing some other work on the back end.

Anyone here ever pull the swingarm on a vstar1300? Any quirks when doing that, or is it pretty straight forward out of the service manual?

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
382 Posts
today i made and installed some custom parts i made, license plate bullet bolts, front fork spikes and bullet floor board sliders, not to bad with only a drill angle grinder and file.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Managed to get the bike on the work table. Tonight the front pulley and rear wheel come off. If the shaft bearings turn out to be OK, I'll order a new pulley and retaining nut. Mulling over replacing the belt and doing some other work on the back end.

Anyone here ever pull the swingarm on a vstar1300? Any quirks when doing that, or is it pretty straight forward out of the service manual?

View attachment 109274
I'm being too lazy to go back to find your trouble post to see how many miles are on your bike. Generally I'm a "while in there" kind of guy and will replace things to save me some time and hassle down the road.

But, in this particular case I might pass on the drive belt. From what I've seen mentioned, those should be good for 60-80K+ miles if everything is adjusted well (and no rock jumps in there). Plus I think they're kind of pricey.

If you have to remove the rear wheel for the work you're doing, I'd check to see what the bearings are like. If they're not difficult to get to, you could even pack them.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
760 Posts
I'm being too lazy to go back to find your trouble post to see how many miles are on your bike. Generally I'm a "while in there" kind of guy and will replace things to save me some time and hassle down the road.

But, in this particular case I might pass on the drive belt. From what I've seen mentioned, those should be good for 60-80K+ miles if everything is adjusted well (and no rock jumps in there). Plus I think they're kind of pricey.

If you have to remove the rear wheel for the work you're doing, I'd check to see what the bearings are like. If they're not difficult to get to, you could even pack them.
Bike has close to 40K on it. VStar1300.
Was planning on doing the rear wheel bearings...I just did the front a few weeks ago.

Tonight I decided to remove all the incidentals needed to get the swing arm off because the manual says it needs to come off in order to remove the drive belt. I had always seen a gap in the frame that looked like the belt would pass through and lo and behold I got the belt off without bending or twisting it. In this case I still have to at least check the swing arm bearings because there is a little 'play' when I push it side to side.

Anyway, I will have the shock disconnected as well as the little brake line holder that sits on the right underside of the swing arm tomorrow, then I have to find a socket big enough for the swing arm bolt, and for the nut that holds the front pulley.

Was rethinking about the belt too. (About $475 - $500, and no aftermarket alternative). It has had the smallest hole from a rock in it for maybe the last 9 years or so. I check it every time I ride and when I checked it up close tonight...no change. I'll probably end up scrubbing it with some dish soap, and doing the same with the rear drive pulley. (I will have to buy a belt tension tool.)
The whole back end is going to get detailed / cleaned. Gonna lube every moving part that I can reach. I was surprised that things loosened up and came apart as easy as they did...maybe 'the ride back' won't be as easy.

I had given up on riding much this year, so I take my time and pick away at this. I'm good if I don't ride until spring. Now I have to put a parts list together and see who has what in stock.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,126 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
685 Posts
@vito, sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Since you're going to take your time to some degree and aren't in a rush, maybe a little investigating can yield a belt alternative. I follow a couple other forums besides this one. Was just reading where someone with a Yamaha Roadliner was looking for a new belt. The Yamaha part was in the same price range as you found, but there were a Dayco (sub $200) and a Harley (~$210) alternative much cheaper. Since you say yours is damaged I might reconsider my earlier opinion of not replacing it.

Maybe start another topic for belt interchange and some Google searches. I'm guessing there is someone out there that has run into this same issue.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
760 Posts
@vito, sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Since you're going to take your time to some degree and aren't in a rush, maybe a little investigating can yield a belt alternative. I follow a couple other forums besides this one. Was just reading where someone with a Yamaha Roadliner was looking for a new belt. The Yamaha part was in the same price range as you found, but there were a Dayco (sub $200) and a Harley (~$210) alternative much cheaper. Since you say yours is damaged I might reconsider my earlier opinion of not replacing it.

Maybe start another topic for belt interchange and some Google searches. I'm guessing there is someone out there that has run into this same issue.
[EDIT] - Not a bad idea, but....
I seriously doubt there is an aftermarket belt because these bikes have been out since 07, the belts on some would have had to been replaced by now, and I'd think in 14 years if a cheaper alternative was available it would have popped up on any number of Yamaha forums or Wiki. I'm 99.99% sure, and don't feel like digging into that .01% to see what turns up. Plus...Something like that, I feel better replacing with an OEM part.

·
Registered
685 Posts
[EDIT] - Not a bad idea, but....
I seriously doubt there is an aftermarket belt because these bikes have been out since 07, the belts on some would have had to been replaced by now, and I'd think in 14 years if a cheaper alternative was available it would have popped up on any number of Yamaha forums or Wiki. I'm 99.99% sure, and don't feel like digging into that .01% to see what turns up. Plus...Something like that, I feel better replacing with an OEM part.
I too am surprised you didn't find any alternatives.

Back in the day we had a service station and kept belts hanging around the garage bay walls. At that time if I'm not mistaken we usually kept a couple Gates 8443 belts. Those were the typical GM water pump, alternator belt. In Gates numbering scheme "8" was the belt width (1/2" I believe) and "443" meant it was 44.3 inches long. Much like v-belts our drive belts are merely width x number of teeth.

A site like this may shed some insight if you know your belt specs. (no insight to site, just a quick Google search)
Motorcycle Drive Belts & Pulleys | Rear Baskets, CVT & V-Belts - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

I hope I don't come off as argumentative as that's not my intention. But merely suggesting that someone makes the belts for Yamaha, so you'd think somewhere there may be an alternative buying option. I can appreciate wanting to stick with OEM as you know the quality is going to be to Yamaha's standards. This reply was for others reading the thread. The difference between riding and the bike sitting could very well be the difference between aftermarket vs. OEM cost.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since my 2007 VSTAR 1300 was all original OEM everything with 3200k when I got her, I've been updating needed things. Fuel lines, fluids, Gas cap, etc.

Put Galfer SS brake lines on the other day. The crimp under the master cylinder banjo bolt was all sorts of corroded. Fluid was pretty bad but not for being 14 yrs old. Also, found a great deal on some EBC XC rotors, so I decided to update the whole front end. Here are the new rotors with new pads. Wasnt sure if I'd like the gold mount ring, but I think it works. Heres the latest.

5601 - 5620 of 5660 Posts