Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
5621 - 5640 of 5660 Posts

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,126 Posts
Looks good to me. Nice work. Big improvement with the work done?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks good to me. Nice work. Big improvement with the work done?
It's pouring buckets ATM, so I haven't been out yet. I love the feel of the brake lever with the Galfer lines, so I imagine the rotors will make it even better. I can say they are considerably lighter than the stock rotors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
replaced front brake pads on my roadliner and now they singing back to me. new pads are touching the rotors, not enough to stop the wheel from spinning but enough to make heat and noise. internet says its normal and it should go away with time but how much longer will it take? i did maybe 60km so far with the new pads

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
760 Posts
Bought a 36 MM socket and tried to get the bolt off of the front pulley (the red dust thingy). I may have to rent an impact wrench for 5 minutes....there is no way this old man if getting that off manually. And it that's the case, how could it be 'loose'? Crikey...now I'm afraid it won't be tight enough when I do the replacement.

I may get a little torch and heat it up and try again. Would not be shocked if some red Loctite is involved. And maybe a longer breaker bar...like 10 feet or so.

·
Registered
100 Posts
replaced front brake pads on my roadliner and now they singing back to me. new pads are touching the rotors, not enough to stop the wheel from spinning but enough to make heat and noise. internet says its normal and it should go away with time but how much longer will it take? i did maybe 60km so far with the new pads
Did you bleed the brakes? You should at do it on both sides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered these off Amazon and they came in today. Come to find out the previous owner stripped the 10mm screw on the previous mirrors he installed and looks like he re-installed the stocks but damage the female end. Soooooooo yeah. That was a pain. Btw the mirrors suck. Don’t buy them. Going with the kuryakyn mirrors next.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
253 Posts
It's been my observation that one can hear the pads dragging on the rotors if the wheel is off the ground and you spin it by hand. I don't recall ever hearing them over road/wind/engine noise while riding, though. Are they some exotic, non-OEM material?

Not to be a contradictory wise guy, but I would think if you didn't open the hyrdraulic system you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes. Just pushing the pistons back with the system still closed should not introduce any air to bleed. Just my car/motorcycle experience.... I've never done brakes on a Roadliner and I'm not a brake expert, so I may way off base on this statement, but I have done it on my Venture without having to bleed the system..

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's been my observation that one can hear the pads dragging on the rotors if the wheel is off the ground and you spin it by hand. I don't recall ever hearing them over road/wind/engine noise while riding, though. Are they some exotic, non-OEM material?

Not to be a contradictory wise guy, but I would think if you didn't open the hyrdraulic system you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes. Just pushing the pistons back with the system still closed should not introduce any air to bleed. Just my car/motorcycle experience.... I've never done brakes on a Roadliner and I'm not a brake expert, so I may way off base on this statement, but I have done it on my Venture without having to bleed the system..
nothing exotic, just normal ebc replacement pads.
i’ve never had to bleed the system in my car and folks on utube replacing bike pads without bleeding as well. i guess i’ll try to clean the callipers more and see what happens.
i can hear the noice while riding with a full face helmet on but there is no smell so the pads are not burning

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,610 Posts
The pads will need to bed in so that fit the shape of the discs, which will have imperfections in them from wear. Pads will always touch the discs on disc brake systems, but if drag is excessive, you need to make sure that all parts are moving freely; pads, pistons and, depending on design, caliper.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
760 Posts
After that many km, should not be happening.

no. i know this is what service manual says but i tried to cut some corners
The braking system is not the place you want to cut corners. You don't have to bleed or change fluid every pad change, but you might want to go back and make sure the pistons are clean and lubricated with some white lithium grease. As others have said...make sure everything is moving freely. Hope you get that figured out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok. So I did this today. I don’t mind that my plates show, I still haven’t gotten a chance to re-register the bike in my name and I’m getting new plates. Sooooooo eh. Lol. I got rid of the tail lights, mount, and plastic. Got a Harley radius mount with radius Custom Dynamics LED plate frame. It’s so much better looking. I had to drill new mounting holes in the fender and drill a hole whole on the bracket for the wiring but worth it. I have hyper flashing now but I don’t mind it to be honest. I think it will make cagers more aware of when I’m turning.

Now I need to find a good way to hide the wires.

·
12,126 Posts
Almost forgot, did my 40k oil change today. Nothing on oil drain magnet and nothing in oil. I'm a happy camper. Didn't even spill oil everywhere like I normally do.

• Haha
Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered
94 Posts
After that many km, should not be happening.

The braking system is not the place you want to cut corners. You don't have to bleed or change fluid every pad change, but you might want to go back and make sure the pistons are clean and lubricated with some white lithium grease. As others have said...make sure everything is moving freely. Hope you get that figured out. Keep us posted.
well, i did everything by the book but it didn’t help much. i guess i’m going to have to rebuild the callipers…

·
Premium Member
2003 650 V Star Classic
32 Posts
Had a rear flat couple of weeks back so I finally got around to changing rear tire and tube. Found the tube was creased inside the tire and apparently cracked in the crease in two places. I do not love changing tires but I am getting better at it.

·
12,126 Posts
today i finally rebuilt front callipers and bled the brakes
Does the brake feel better? Were you having issues or just doing PM? Any issues getting them bleed?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the brake feel better? Were you having issues or just doing PM? Any issues getting them bleed?
i noticed that pistons were not engaging evenly when i replaced the pads so i decided to rebuild the callipers. used a set of gaskets from all balls.
had to spend some time bleeding because reverse bleeding didn’t work well and introduced bunch of air into the system. had to bleed it the normal way using one way valve.
reverse bleeding works better on the dry system. i used it with much success when was replacing brake hoses last year.

5621 - 5640 of 5660 Posts