Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
5701 - 5720 of 5771 Posts

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
375 Posts
So I get up this morning as normal. Get my boots, jacket, helmet and gloves on. Throw the leg over the bike seat, hit the starter button, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK. Turn key off and back on. Same thing, well crap. Pull the battery real quick and jump in cage to head to work. Test the battery when I get to work, BAD. The battery is the one that was in the bike when I bought it 3.5 years ago, so no real complaints. There wasn't a date code on the old battery to actually see how old it was. Picked up a new AMG battery at work. Brought home, installed, bike cranks right up. Put meter on to check charging system, all good. This is the first time a battery has ever fail on me at home. In the past I've always been out somewhere. It's much easier with a failure at home.
One of those times it pays to work at an auto parts distribution center, eh? ;)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Wife and I helped put a new Harley rider's bike back on the road after she drove it through a corner into a farm field. She was ok. Bike was ok. She was kind of shook up as this was her first solo ride. Bike had temporary tag on it. I am guessing she had not taken a MSF course. It was a very nice looking bike. Even my wife thought so which is rare. I asked her how she ended up in the field..she said she took the corner too fast. All in all it could have been a lot worse!

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
238 Posts
Didn't do anything yet. The slip-ons for the Road Star just got delivered. Problem is, threat of rain for the next few days and I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
417 Posts
Not today, but yesterday I rode 170 miles. It was a beautiful sunny ,no wind day and I rode along the Snake river and had lunch by a lake.
Today it's cloudy, cool and windy with a chance of rain.
Things change, especially the weather!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
So, rain is holding off until this evening. Decided to attack the slip-ons for the Road Star. Piece of cake, easy job. Trouble is, I couldn't get the old gaskets out in one piece. I will have to wait another week without riding it until the new gaskets come in. Issue, looking on Ebay, what is the difference between a "silencer" gasket and a muffler gasket? I don't have a part # and I find silencer gaskets that say they fit the bike, muffler gaskets don't say so. Pictures look more or less the same.

Edit: Went on Partzilla and confirmed part and part #. Ordered on Ebay. Still won't be here for a week.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
232 Posts
Ordered new mirrors.. didn't want to pay the $105 (plus tax and shipping) for OEM mirrors.

Old mirrors have some chrome missing on the edges, doesnt match the rest of the bikes clean look.

The V-Star 1300 has the right mirror reversed threaded so it tightens counter-clockwise, whereas the left mirror is regular clockwise. After some research i determined these new mirrors may be close or just as good than original.

We'll see, wish me luck.... plus it'll be awhile before i get them. ;)
They will look nice. The OEM mirrors have a weight attached inside behind glass. This helps keep the mirror from vibrating and image all shaky.
Hope these are ok and don't shake and that they copied this aspect of the mirror as well. We'll see, i'll report back after install.
I got the aftermarket mirrors in yesterday, thats 8 days shipping total from Taiwan. Anyway, they do not vibrate and look extremely close to OEM, i am happy with them. Had it up to 90mph on the highway, good mirrors for 1/3 the price.
Lucked out this time :D. Mine was reverse thread on the RH side, always check first.
17mm open end wrench required, i used some painter tape to protect the chrome ;).
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Fuel tank

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
03 Vstar 650 classic - Cobra exhaust
29 Posts
On my 03 vstar 650 classic, I just fixed the fork issue.
Clutch side was sticking out 4".
Followed advice given by Les and was able to correct it.
The top covers was on the way of the bottom 2 clamp bolts but I was able to twist it to the side and get to them.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Tire Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Thank you so much.

I got lazy and didnt work on leaking oil but determined there are 3 possible locations and will order seals to hopefully get to that next weekend.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
823 Posts
When it's October 25th and you realize your bike inspection is due by the end of October....
I may have to leave it go until the spring. PA has some weird rules set up regarding when you get your bike inspected and getting a full year or having to get it done again in less than a year. Other states may be the same. I have to do some research.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
When it's October 25th and you realize your bike inspection is due by the end of October....
I may have to leave it go until the spring. PA has some weird rules set up regarding when you get your bike inspected and getting a full year or having to get it done again in less than a year. Other states may be the same. I have to do some research.
What's a bike inspection? In Florida you change the title when you buy it, get a registration , renew it once a year. When I bought the Roadstar they didn't even come out of the office to check the VIN. That would have been the only inspection it got and they didn't even do that.

Reactions: Brad_G

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
823 Posts
What's a bike inspection? In Florida you change the title when you buy it, get a registration , renew it once a year. When I bought the Roadstar they didn't even come out of the office to check the VIN. That would have been the only inspection it got and they didn't even do that.
I wish it would go away. As it is, this is the twist in the inspection timing I mentioned. No inspections from November to April. Guess I'll be the little outlaw and run uninspected until April, or maybe next October. Stupidest crap....
  1. Motorcycles whose registrations expire in the months of January and July shall be inspected in the months of May, June or July.
  2. Motorcycles whose registrations expire in the months of February and August shall be inspected in the months of June, July or August.
  3. Motorcycles whose registrations expire in the months of March and September shall be inspected in the months of July, August or September.
  4. Motorcycles whose registrations expire in the months of April and October shall be inspected in the months of August, September or October.
  5. Motorcycles whose registrations expire in the months of May and November shall be inspected in the months of March, April or May.
  6. Motorcycles whose registrations expire in the months of June and December shall be inspected in the months of April, May or June.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good god that's complicated!

Alaska has no inspections. On top of that, I paid an extra fee on top of my standard 2 year registration and made the registration permanent for as long as I own it. The flip side of that is my bike is almost guaranteed to be stowed from October thru April ❄

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Tried to put on the slip-ons today on the Road Star, but have run into a problem. Directions say pull the old gaskets for reuse if you can. They couldn't be saved. I ordered OEM replacements, but they don't fit on the slip-ons. They do fit the original mufflers. The slip-ons fit over the header pipes, but are smaller in diamater than the originals. Not quite sure where to go from here. I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would have been easier if I had done this 3 weeks ago, but...
Pulled the bike out of the conex and fired it up. Pulled the snowblower out. Put the brush cutter in the conex, followed by the bike. Put the storage cover over the bike, than parked the snowblower behind it. Ready for 6 months of hibernation.

5701 - 5720 of 5771 Posts