Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
5721 - 5740 of 5760 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tried to put on the slip-ons today on the Road Star, but have run into a problem. Directions say pull the old gaskets for reuse if you can. They couldn't be saved. I ordered OEM replacements, but they don't fit on the slip-ons. They do fit the original mufflers. The slip-ons fit over the header pipes, but are smaller in diamater than the originals. Not quite sure where to go from here. I would appreciate any input.
How badly does it leak with no gaskets? My slip ons don't have any gaskets but there's no blowback as the pressure is too low...

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
209 Posts
Tried to put on the slip-ons today on the Road Star, but have run into a problem. Directions say pull the old gaskets for reuse if you can. They couldn't be saved. I ordered OEM replacements, but they don't fit on the slip-ons. They do fit the original mufflers. The slip-ons fit over the header pipes, but are smaller in diameter than the originals. Not quite sure where to go from here. I would appreciate any input.
I'd contact the slip-on manufacturer and ask, they must know something about it, hard to imagine you're the first person experiencing this issue with their product.

I bought one of those gaskets for my bike, was going to change it as directed in the Yamaha manual as part of the rear brake service routine. I found the original gasket was "fused" on inside the muffler, Since the original was still intact i just reassembled it and it does not leak, that gasket would have fought me every step of the way trying to get it out. The clamp (on my bike like a U-bolt) was still able make it "seal". I still have that new gasket if i need it.

How did you get the old gasket out? Chisel it out with a screwdriver or something? Dremel tool?

While you're waiting for a suggestion here, call the manufacturer, after all they sold you a product that doesn't fit your bike. Again, i'd be surprised if they didn't have some information.

Good luck man

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
224 Posts
How badly does it leak with no gaskets? My slip ons don't have any gaskets but there's no blowback as the pressure is too low...
I'd contact the manufacturer and ask, they must know something about it, hard to image you're the first person experiencing this with their product.
I tried to contact the vendor, at least. Haven't gotten a response yet.
This slip-ons fit on the header pipe, but there is no gasket, OEM or aftermarket, that would ever fit it the space between. Box is labeled properly and matches the product inside. I finally just put them on and tightened them down. Good and snug, didn't move. Doesn't seem to leak, so good for now, I think. On the plus side, they give more clearance for the saddlebag. Soft removable bags installed by the previous owner, too close to the exhaust and was showing some damage. I have about 3 inches clearance now.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
209 Posts
I tried to contact the vendor, at least. Haven't gotten a response yet.
This slip-ons fit on the header pipe, but there is no gasket, OEM or aftermarket, that would ever fit it the space between. Box is labeled properly and matches the product inside. I finally just put them on and tightened them down. Good and snug, didn't move. Doesn't seem to leak, so good for now, I think. On the plus side, they give more clearance for the saddlebag. Soft removable bags installed by the previous owner, too close to the exhaust and was showing some damage. I have about 3 inches clearance now.
Good man, glad it worked. Hey, tell me.. when you went to get the old gasket off ..when you thought you needed it, did you ever get the gasket off? Did it just break apart when you tried.
I am trying to get an idea of what i'm in for if and when i do replace mine.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
224 Posts
Good man, glad it worked. Hey, tell me.. when you went to get the old gasket off ..when you thought you needed it, did you ever get the gasket off? Did it just break apart when you tried.
I am trying to get an idea of what i'm in for if and when i do replace mine.
Tried to take it out, but it just went to pieces. Left me with just the interior wire core. It's a 2003 and was probably cooked it there all of that time.

·
Super Moderator
8,365 Posts
I’ve tried several times to clean the bikes up from the rally in September, but home stuff is keeping me from doing so.
Monica’s Aunt passing away in SoCal where we’re both original from has been hard for her as she’s still out there. Cally is backlogged for funerals due to Covid, so it’ll be a while.
I’m back on midnights working 12 hour shifts, and on my days off, I’m doing laundry, cleaning the house, taking care of 3 cats, 3 dogs, 2 fish tanks full of fish, watching out for 2 skunks who like to eat the cats food, and keeping up with the acreage. I sure do miss my wife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
809 Posts
Managed to dump it. :( Got home from a nice 300+ mile ride today. Went to circle around and run it into the enclosed trailer where I have been parking it lately and hit some grass clippings I'd cleaned off the bottom or the mower deck. With all the rain we've had lately it was greasy underneath and the front wheel went out from under me. Had to leave the bike lay for a bit while I walked off turning my ankle. Thankfully I was able to upright it again and no damage besides my pride. Now I'm hobbling about. At least the ride today was enjoyable.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,735 Posts
Glad you are ok. From experience, the ego will heal slower than the ankle.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,735 Posts
Just ask those who attended the 2019 Vstar Meet and Greet. They can answer. At least you didn’t have your wife on and the last audience in your worst dreams you would want watching you. I did ease it down onto crash bar once rather than trying to hold it up. Carla and I actually didn’t have that hard of a time getting it on side stand. But it wasn’t all the over on side. No damage either time.

Reactions: Brad_G

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just ask those who attended the 2019 Vstar Meet and Greet. They can answer. At least you didn’t have your wife on and the last audience in your worst dreams you would want watching you. I did ease it down onto crash bar once rather than trying to hold it up. Carla and I actually didn’t have that hard of a time getting it on side stand. But it wasn’t all the over on side. No damage either time.
That's true. Had I not mentioned it here nobody would have been the wiser. Heck even my wife was napping in the house and didn't know. But I can see where doing it in front of all your friends and acquaintances would not be cool. But of all the bad things that can happen while on a bike, I'll take a simple drop every time.

·
Registered
03 Vstar 650 classic - Cobra exhaust
29 Posts
The fall/autumn in NY does have a couple days where its 50 degrees and above. Besides bundling up, I dont have proper winter motorcycle gear. Anyway, I was getting ready to leave, did all the basic lights, tire pressure, and some nuts and bolts check before heading out.

It wouldn't crank. Not sure if its due to a weak/old battery or clogged carbs... i had left it sitting for over 2 weeks and I totally forget to add stabilizer on the gas.

I checked the battery (an AMG powersport champion lead battery) and it only has 12 volts when i check with bolt meter. At crank, it drops well below 10.2v, so it may be time for a new one...

It should be 12.6V when fully charged so I will trickle charge it and try again tomorrow... keeping my fingers closed as id hate to do the carb cleaning (I got lucky last winter so maybe it eventually caught up to me with cold temps and unstabilized gas)

·
Registered
809 Posts
The fall/autumn in NY does have a couple days where its 50 degrees and above. Besides bundling up, I dont have proper winter motorcycle gear. Anyway, I was getting ready to leave, did all the basic lights, tire pressure, and some nuts and bolts check before heading out.

It wouldn't crank. Not sure if its due to a weak/old battery or clogged carbs... i had left it sitting for over 2 weeks and I totally forget to add stabilizer on the gas.

I checked the battery (an AMG powersport champion lead battery) and it only has 12 volts when i check with bolt meter. At crank, it drops well below 10.2v, so it may be time for a new one...

It should be 12.6V when fully charged so I will trickle charge it and try again tomorrow... keeping my fingers closed as id hate to do the carb cleaning (I got lucky last winter so maybe it eventually caught up to me with cold temps and unstabilized gas)
It does sound like a weak battery. If you can get it started I'd make sure to fill it with non-ethanol fuel if you can get it, along with some STA-BIL or other fuel stabilizer. If you are riding it more you could also put in some Techtron/Seafoam or whatever your favorite fuel system cleaner to help keep the carbs clean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got to visit my Custom this weekend. Learned a little lesson about parking it facing down hill this morning. Had it pulled out of the garage and warming up. Shut it down and went inside to eat breakfast. Came out to find the bike laying on it's side. Nearest as we could tell, it may have not been all the way back on the kick stand. It must have started rolling forward, the kickstand folded back and over it went. Aside from a scrunched up saddlebag, I couldn't find any damage. Took a short short little ride down to the non-ethanol gas station to top it off.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
209 Posts
I rode today it was beautiful out, truly enjoyed it, well most of it...... Got a wake-up call up near Saguaro lake when a State Trooper pulled me over for speeding 64 in a 40mph. God bless him for only giving me a warning ticket. But it speaks to the overall change in the area, more people, more signs, speed limits that change 4-5 times in 5 miles or less. Now this, it's over.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Well I attempted to change the rear tire, drug all the tools out, went to jack the bike and the bottle jack on my harbor freight jack quit. So I called the only shop in the area I trust and they can't get me in until December 1.
So I started searching can I get a replacement jack. Harbor freight has a replacement for $43.90 with free shipping. Well I guess another good reason to buy their jack.
So next week will be replace the tire. As long as it is done for Christmas with the grandkids ☺.

Reactions: lesblank
5721 - 5740 of 5760 Posts