Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
5781 - 5800 of 5832 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,913 Posts
That doth sucketh. I guess the faring didn't wiggle around while riding. Surprising.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,182 Posts
That doth sucketh. I guess the faring didn't wiggle around while riding. Surprising.
It did wiggle some, just not that bad. Y'all have seen enough of my videos, you could read the speedometer app I run. It surprised me too. Good thing, caught before any real damage and only $50 for parts since I ordered them, over $100 at dealer.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
370 Posts
It did wiggle some, just not that bad. Y'all have seen enough of my videos, you could read the speedometer app I run. It surprised me too. Good thing, caught before any real damage and only $50 for parts since I ordered them, over $100 at dealer.
They probably broke one at a time so it kind of crept-up on you, and with wearing a full face helmet maybe you didn't hear the "shimmy" so much as they broke, until the last one broke. The "wiggle" got progressively worse.
I've seen that happen on other forums before, the brackets breaking b4. It would be nice if they made stronger brackets that were twice as thick. Glad you caught it before the whole thing fell off. Now you can look forward to having a much more stable and quiet situation with your fairing. (y)

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
370 Posts
They probably broke one at a time so it kind of crept-up on you, and with wearing a full face helmet maybe you didn't hear the "shimmy" so much as they broke, until the last one broke. The "wiggle" got progressively worse.
I've seen that happen on other forums before, the brackets breaking b4. It would be nice if they made stronger brackets that were twice as thick. Glad you caught it before the whole thing fell off. Now you can look forward to having a much more stable and quiet situation with your fairing. (y)
Imagine you riding home with your fairing half off and using vice grips for a clutch lever. :oops:😁
Can laugh about it now, but at the time we can imagine how dangerous that scenario was.
It's like thank God you made it out alive.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
370 Posts
Imagine you riding home with your fairing half off and using vice grips for a clutch lever. :oops:😁
Can laugh about it now, but at the time we can imagine how dangerous that scenario was.
It's like thank God you made it out alive.
Just sayin'
Like when i rode home 50 miles (mostly busy highway) on a VTX which unknown to me, was about to be considered totaled by the Ins co, after riding over a curb and gouging the fame on the bottom. I can laugh about it now, but thinking back omg. Universe wants me to live a bit longer, then there is the notion of a cat with 9 lives. 😺

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
855 Posts
To replace the clutch cable I have to split the batwing and take off outer shel as it goes thru it.

View attachment 112665

No biggie, 4 bolts. Sure is a rats nest in there.

View attachment 112666

It's a known issue about the fairing mounts breaking with age. It's actually one cause for clutch cable failure as the fairing moves putting the cable at an angle. Well heck, four of the six are broke. Have the brackets on order. All parts will be here by next weekend.

View attachment 112670
View attachment 112669
View attachment 112667
View attachment 112668

So, bike down for the week :( . Yes, I could have gotten the parts locally. But saved 50 percent by ordering and waiting a few days. Stealerships around here are expensive.
I guess the clutch cable broke for a reason. Glad you caught all this before anything really bad happed at say 70 mph. Post the repairs...I like seeing that stuff.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
855 Posts
Les had quite the adventure. Glad that ended without major injury or damage to the bike.
I finally got out for a 40 mile shakedown on Friday afternoon. About four months since discovering the sprocket / red dust issue. Just had so many other things chewing up my time. Anyway, the bike ran fine, shifted normally. Handling was good / bike tracked straight when I let go of the bars. I did notice a melting Loctite smell when I backed into the garage, but I think I dabbed some on a piece I didn't realize would get too hot for it. No clicking, buzzing, chirping, whistling, or whine from the belt area. It lives to ride another season.

·
13,182 Posts
Les had quite the adventure. Glad that ended without major injury or damage to the bike.
I finally got out for a 40 mile shakedown on Friday afternoon. About four months since discovering the sprocket / red dust issue. Just had so many other things chewing up my time. Anyway, the bike ran fine, shifted normally. Handling was good / bike tracked straight when I let go of the bars. I did notice a melting Loctite smell when I backed into the garage, but I think I dabbed some on a piece I didn't realize would get too hot for it. No clicking, buzzing, chirping, whistling, or whine from the belt area. It lives to ride another season.
Sounds like success!! Great job. I'll be down at least a week between waiting for parts and time to get it done. Looks like next Sunday will be my first chance.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
314 Posts
This doesn't fit into any category, but here we go. It's been raining for two days. I looked outside and the "carport" that I had originally put up for the 650, which now houses the Road Star (see background of attached pic), was about blow over. The wind has REALLY come up during this current storm. I ran outside and found a way to weight it down even more securely than I had. Got soaked in the process. I tried to avoid getting a drill bit that could drill into the cement pad of the driveway, but guess that I will have to. Seems to be safe enough for now, but I will keep an eye on it, as the weather report says that the wind will be with us until about 11PM.
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
13,182 Posts
Look what arrived today. Won't have time till Sunday to put the cable and other 2 brackets on, but do have all parts.

Art Rectangle Font Drawing Visual arts

·
13,182 Posts
Afterwork last night I started the on the second set of failed fairing brackets and then clutch cable repair. I went with the bracket repair kit which is the suggested repair. The bottom of this bracket is very strong but it's the top that always break. Big Bike Parts sells the bracket repair kit and is simple to complete. First remove broken tab:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Completed other side same way. The fairing is now super secure and will not shake like it did before. These brackets would have been very easy to make and would have but remember, almost all my tools are still packed until I move to retirement property in a few months. Repair complete.

·
13,182 Posts
Now to clutch cable. I did a lot of research on the cable routing. The clutch cable goes into fairing makes a pretty sharp bend down to opposite side of bike.

Car Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

First step was to drain tranny fluid and remove clutch ramp mechanism.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Snap ring was a bugger to get off. My good snap ring pliers are still in a box somewhere and had to use my smaller set.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas

The removal of old clutch cable was simple after I got snap ring off. I decided to run new cable like the Road King, unfaired bike like mine, to simplify things. The clutch pull is much easier now due to lack of sharp bends. You can't see the difference in routing unless you are on your knees and looking for it.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Product

Couldn't test drive last night as it was raining really bad. But did test in garage moving forward slightly, clutch pull is super easy now with nice engagement. I held the front brake and let clutch out, rear tire started spinning, short burn out. Had to test for any slippage. So all is back together waiting for rain to stop.

Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Repairs went quickly and didn't draw any blood, which is a norm for me. 🤣

·
13,182 Posts
Just got back from 20 mile test ride. Wow, wow!! Great difference. The lever is easier to pull than it ever was. I took my wrenches to adjust, stopped twice to move friction zone a little closer to grip. Got it exactly where I want it. So glad I rerouted the cable, it made it much easier to pull and no binding. Also with the fairing backets fixed the fairing has much less vibration. Overall I'm pleased with my repairs.

·
Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
128 Posts
Well, I've been busy with my new 2010 Strat. Memphis shades batwing, Baron Extended risers, Grasshopper removable backrest, JB Bucks Lowers, Avon grips, OEM QD sissy bar and pad(expensive), K&N open box air filter, Healtech GiPro gear indicator, wired in a USB accessory port under the seat for my Quadlock charger/mount, wired in my TomTom 550 into the accessory connect in the headlight bucket, and a Breakaway throttle lock.
Towards the end of the week I'll finish it off with a new headlight and Kurykyn black Hex mirrors.

·
13,182 Posts
WOW, you have been busy. Got any pictures? Don't forget to take time to ride it. ;)

·
13,182 Posts
Nice, like the windshield. Much wind baffling?

·
Super Moderator
8,440 Posts
I walked by the RoadStar and wiped the dust off of it. Been recovering from cataract surgery on my right eye and can’t do much of anything. Good news is that my eye is healing quite well and I’m finally getting my garage repairs done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5781 - 5800 of 5832 Posts