Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
6,021 - 6,040 of 6,494 Posts
The pulley should easily last 100k miles. The correct way to fix the issue would be to fit a new output shaft. Personally, I would just weld the pulley to the shaft since it will likely outlast your time with the bike. And if not, you have lost nothing and can replace the shaft and pulley later in life.

Great review man! Thanks so much!
@Mainah ... I've put a little over to 450 miles on the seat so far. It has improved its comfiness. Not going to say it's like sitting on an old comfy couch. But, definitely betting then the first 50 miles. I see it improving just a smidge more. But, that's it.
It is a BIG improvement over the stock.
I'll leave you with this.... I'm going on a roughly 2,000 mile bike trip in six weeks. I am looking forward to it even more with THE better seat.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

@Mainah ... I've put a little over to 450 miles on the seat so far. It has improved its comfiness. Not going to say it's like sitting on an old comfy couch. But, definitely betting then the first 50 miles. I see it improving just a smidge more. But, that's it.
It is a BIG improvement over the stock.
I'll leave you with this.... I'm going on a roughly 2,000 mile bike trip in six weeks. I am looking forward to it even more with THE better seat.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
That’s great to hear! My first bike, the 650, had a bobber seat on it that’s somehow still comfier than the 950 seat. When the factory offers a “comfort cruise seat” as an accessory, you know the stock seat sucks!

The pulley should easily last 100k miles. The correct way to fix the issue would be to fit a new output shaft. Personally, I would just weld the pulley to the shaft since it will likely outlast your time with the bike. And if not, you have lost nothing and can replace the shaft and pulley later in life.
I think my biggest fear is the clicking that sounds internal. It’s either driveplay slop at low RPMs while bike has no load on it, or it’s the countershaft bearing. If it’s the latter, I don’t know what to do except sell the bike for parts

Got a video of the pulley. Keep in mind that the only rattle in the video when I spin it by hand is my fingernail hitting the engine case, and there’s rain outside. The only actual rattle in the vid is when I pinch the pulley and turn it back and forth rapidly, by shaking my hand in a provocative manner. Any guesses?

Not exactly TO my bike, but FOR my bike…Insta360 One X2 came in the mail the other day! It records video through two fisheye lenses and then stitches them together digitally so I can go in post-recording and choose the camera aim/angle/field of view! Can also mount to my helmet and give almost a birds eye view, top-down. Pretty fun!
i bought me gopro max that can make these 360 videos as well. its fun making yourself look like you are riding a small globe

@AlanRides Wingnut Stickman

The rear wheel valve core I had fit, i changed it and it went without a hitch. I have a pretty sturdy wheel chock that i park the bike in. it tightens on the Tire/wheel more as more as more weight is put on it. I used the scissor jack for moto's i have, i wont lift the entire bike with it but it works well with the bike in the Chock and lifting-up the back end of the bike. We'll see if it does any good. I realize that bringing up the "Risk of Broken Bead" wasn't really an issue with what i was doing, but knew i had a way to easily lift the bikes rear end. :D

Called my Local (close-by) Moto dealer again today and had a conversation about working on my Bike. Previously i was told they now work on bikes that are 10 years or less in age. When they told me that i called "blind", they didn't know who i was. i just asked whoever answered the phone in Service.

This time I had a much fuller conversation with a specific Service person and explained who i was (going there for 12 years) He told me that as long as the bike is in good shape they will do things like Tires, Belt, Brakes etc. routine stuff. Just not old rusty "barn finds" kind of bikes. I explained my bike has 16K on it, garaged kept and is in good shape, doesn't have old crusty dried-out fairings that need to be removed or corroded bolts/parts, for example.

He said to bring the bike in some time just to confirm. I feel somewhat reassured because i was getting worried that i'd have to travel a much longer distance and with people i don't know in the future for Service.:D I do most routine maintenance, just not Tires and maybe Belts.

This is the Wheel Chock I have. They have two sizes, Fat tires and Skinny tires. Plus it's adjustable to dial-in for your bike. Baxley LA-Chock.

@AlanRides Wingnut Stickman

The rear wheel valve core I had fit, i changed it and it went without a hitch. I have a pretty sturdy wheel chock that i park the bike in. it tightens on the Tire/wheel more as more as more weight is put on it. I used the scissor jack for moto's i have, i wont lift the entire bike with it but it works well with the bike in the Chock and lifting-up the back end of the bike. We'll see if it does any good. I realize that bringing up the "Risk of Broken Bead" wasn't really an issue with what i was doing, but knew i had a way to easily lift the bikes rear end. :D

Called my Local (close-by) Moto dealer again today and had a conversation about working on my Bike. Previously i was told they now work on bikes that are 10 years or less in age. When they told me that i called "blind", they didn't know who i was. i just asked whoever answered the phone in Service.

This time I had a much fuller conversation with a specific Service person and explained who i was (going there for 12 years) He told me that as long as the bike is in good shape they will do things like Tires, Belt, Brakes etc. routine stuff. Just not old rusty "barn finds" kind of bikes. I explained my bike has 16K on it, garaged kept and is in good shape, doesn't have old crusty dried-out fairings that need to be removed or corroded bolts/parts, for example.

He said to bring the bike in some time just to confirm. I feel somewhat reassured because i was getting worried that i'd have to travel a much longer distance and with people i don't know in the future for Service.:D I do most routine maintenance, just not Tires and maybe Belts.

This is the Wheel Chock I have. They have two sizes, Fat tires and Skinny tires. Plus it's adjustable to dial-in for your bike. Baxley LA-Chock.
View attachment 116831

Found out it's the Valve stem itself. I checked the Air this morning and it was 2 lbs lower than i left it (although it was early vs hotter as it was a lot later when i added air yesterday), plus, when i tilted the stem i heard a small hiss, it was about a 15-18 degree tilt if i were to guess. :oops: The core was loose in the beginning, tightening i could hear the faint hiss close-up (its quiet in this Park!). Pretty sure it's coming from the main seal, not the exposed stem, like a cut or tear.

Trouble is the Tires probably have 3-4k left. Tempted to just clean it and work-in a little silicone glue (neatly) to slow it down until its time for Tires. I lived with it for 1.5 years adding air 1-2 every weeks or so, but i thought it was the valve core then, not the stem.

That rear Valve is a pain in the butt to get to with air, its not hard to imagine this happening, especially with past owners. Tires were purchased with new stems on 12-4-19, i have the receipt. Sh&T :mad:

There are some certainties in life, like i am not about to go out and spend $500+ for tires at the moment!

Found out it's the Valve stem itself. I checked the Air this morning and it was 2 lbs lower than i left it, plus, when i tilted the stem i heard a small hiss, it was about a 15-18 degree tilt if i were to guess. :oops: The core was loose in the beginning, tightening i could hear the faint hiss close-up (its quiet in this Park!). Pretty sure it's coming from the main seal, not the exposed stem, like a cut or tear.

Trouble is the Tires probably have 3-4k left. Tempted to just clean it and work-in a little silicone glue (neatly) to slow it down until its time for Tires. I lived with it for 1.5 years adding air once a week or so, but i thought it was the valve core then, not the stem.

That rear Valve is a pain in the butt to get to with air, its not hard to imagine this happening, especially with past owners. Tires were purchased with new stems on 12-4-19, i have the receipt. Sh&T :mad:

There are some certainties in life, like i am not about to go out and spend $500+ for tires at the moment!
Well that sucks. If it were me, I wouldn't screw with trying to glue it.

I've done many of these on car and trailer tires, but not on a bike. A car tire you can break the bead on one side and pull out the old stem and put in a new one without dismounting the tire. There might be a chance you could on a bike as well. I'd even try it while on the bike with a worse case having to remove the wheel. But not sure what your comfort level is here so you'll have to decide how to proceed.

Well that sucks. If it were me, I wouldn't screw with trying to glue it.

I've done many of these on car and trailer tires, but not on a bike. A car tire you can break the bead on one side and pull out the old stem and put in a new one without dismounting the tire. There might be a chance you could on a bike as well. I'd even try it while on the bike with a worse case having to remove the wheel. But not sure what your comfort level is here so you'll have to decide how to proceed.
i'll look at it closer tomorrow, thanks

They make a tool to install rubber valve stems from the outside. If yours is rubber. And if you get the right size stem - my rear (stem) is an unusual size. Good chance yours is too, which increases the odds that it didn't get a new one last time.

They make a tool to install rubber valve stems from the outside. If yours is rubber. And if you get the right size stem - my rear (stem) is an unusual size. Good chance yours is too, which increases the odds that it didn't get a new one last time.
I am aware of those tools to tire-on change valve stems on a Car tire before but i wouldn't on the Moto, no room, it would be an act of futility.

I thought like you did that the prior owner didn't replace stems but looked and have a receipt from a Dealer in Prescott, AZ dated 12-12-19 for Tires and 2 new Valves for this bike. 2 Valves are listed and costed-out separately. They are the rubber type.

Leaning towards Shinko's if i get new tires, probably will get them. Commander ll's on backorder until July, according to parts dept at Dealer. Might just get the Valve changed, Planning on washing the Bike and taking it to the Dealer and asking in person. See how much $$. Probably another Year on these tires tread for me.

I'll look at it closer tomorrow, maybe take a video to show you.

Rear takes the same OEM stem/valve p/n as the front so not sure what to make of your "Odd size" on the rear comment. Maybe you can clarify. Thanks

i'll look at it closer tomorrow, thanks
Good luck. The more I thought about it, I remember how hard it was just to scrub the wheel when washing, so I doubt trying to install a valve stem while on the bike would be a picnic. But I'd still look at it and ponder. Normally when you remove old ones they tear and the stem with the metal insert comes out with the tool and the base rubber falls in the tire. Not sure you want that bouncing around inside the tire so keeping it within your grasp is another chore......

(I'm doing a lot of thinking out loud here so don't take any of this as gospel)

Removed the stator from my F800, which was a massive PITA due to the connectors and how the wires are routed. Fitted voltmeter. Going to buy gasket material today so that I can fit the stator and rebuild the bike - the whole bike was constructed around the connectors for the charging system :mad:

6,021 - 6,040 of 6,494 Posts