Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
6141 - 6160 of 6201 Posts

· Premium Member
2003 V-Star 1100 Custom, 2003 Road Star Midnight
347 Posts
Reaction score
FINALLY got around to taking the back wheel off of the 1100 to take it in and have the tube replaced. I got the new jack delivered last week, but was dealing with a couple of cords of wood that I was buying before it gets cold here. I decided to have the rear tire replaced at the same time. Don't want to pull the wheel again in another 1500 miles.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Wood Logging Tree Trunk Lumber

· Registered
2022 FKHR Road King, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,808 Posts
Reaction score
I have noticed a little turbulence on Rex, the 2022 Road King. I bought triple tree wind deflector. This should redirect some of the air down under the engine vice up between the tank and windscreen.

Hand Hood Gesture Finger Automotive tire

A 6mm Alan head removes the top screw on the fork clamp.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

My battery powered LED light has a magnetic handle that really helps in the dark.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Art Auto part

Here's a better look at the fork screw where the deflector attaches too.
Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Finished
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Looking forward to ride review.

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
FINALLY got around to taking the back wheel off of the 1100 to take it in and have the tube replaced. I got the new jack delivered last week, but was dealing with a couple of cords of wood that I was buying before it gets cold here. I decided to have the rear tire replaced at the same time. Don't want to pull the wheel again in another 1500 miles. View attachment 121113 View attachment 121114
I’m curious, how many people know what a cord of wood is without looking it up?

I grew up with a wood burning fireplace as our only source of heat. And we never purchased wood. We got everything from my dad’s jobs (general handyman and master carpenter). He’d get hired to remove people’s trees to make way for new construction like a garage or sunroom addition. Then he’d cut it all up and haul it home. It was up to my sisters and I to help cut, chop, and stack the firewood so we’d be ready for the winter (in northern Alabama, so cold but not THAT cold).

While I see the value in being raised like that, I also couldn’t wait to leave and never go back to that style of living. Just not for me. I love fireplaces and all but not as a sole source of heat.

So… a cord. Who knows?

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
A bunch....:cool::D
I mean, a bunch is a different quantity. I think it’s three bunches to a bushel and like eight bushels to a cord. I might be off, but I think it’s close. 🤔🤪

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Reaction score
I’m curious, how many people know what a cord of wood is without looking it up?

I grew up with a wood burning fireplace as our only source of heat. And we never purchased wood.

So… a cord. Who knows?
I grew up the same way. I turn 65 this month and I always cut it myself until 2 years ago when my truck took a total crap on me and I never bought another. I still have to carry it from the driveway where it is dropped, to the back yard and stack it....

A cord is stacked, 4' high x 4' wide x 8' long (or any combination that gets you to 128 cubic feet). It's a lot of wood to carry and stack.

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,497 Posts
Reaction score
I too grew up with wood burning. Cut and split a lot as a youngster. Kind of longed for the day when I could just turn up the thermostat and have warmth without all the work.

Then as a homeowner (on 20 acres) I found I was cutting up a lot of wood just as maintenance and storm cleanup. Seemed a waste to burn huge piles watching the heat escape into the sky. So installed a wood burning stove in my house. I love to back up to it on cold winter nights and feel the heat radiate from it. :cool:

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
I too grew up with wood burning. Cut and split a lot as a youngster. Kind of longed for the day when I could just turn up the thermostat and have warmth without all the work.

Then as a homeowner (on 20 acres) I found I was cutting up a lot of wood just as maintenance and storm cleanup. Seemed a waste to burn huge piles watching the heat escape into the sky. So installed a wood burning stove in my house. I love to back up to it on cold winter nights and feel the heat radiate from it. :cool:
Have it as an option, not mandatory. THAT's the dream! :love:

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
throttle was binding and figured I just had to lube it. Well took my throttle apart and well would you look at that. 😢 View attachment 121210
Bummer. Maybe you have been twisting the throttle to hard. ;)

Good thing, pretty easy fix.

Reactions: Boog and Lup69

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Reaction score
I got the 1100 back on the road today after a couple of months. Took it for a shake down cruise and all seems to be ok. Let me just say, that taking the rear wheel off and on with a Yamaha shaft drive by yourself is kind of a pain in the a$$. Now that I have this one to ride again, on to the Road Star issue with the decompression solenoid...at least I think that is the issue. We will see.
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
70 Posts
Reaction score
Today was battery day. Started out last night with removing and charging the batteries from the two 4 wheelers overnight. The one in the old 4 wheeler just needed a charge so I reinstalled it today and it was good to go. The one in the new 4 wheeler was dead dead, so off to the furtherest away NAPA to get a new one. Top off charge, install and it is good to go. Pulled the battery from the snowmobile, which is also dead dead. Off to find a replacement tomorrow. Finally mounted a battery tender in the corner of the shop, removed the battery from the Silverado and plugged it into the battery tender for the winter.

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Reaction score
Oil changes on both bikes pre-winter. 82 degrees today, forecast 62 tomorrow and the 10 day forecast says 50's and 60's going forward. Finally pulled the battery and found that the "wire" that ran to either side was the former owner's pull cord to lift the battery. Put an extra strap that I had around the battery. Easy to pull now. Started tracking down the issue with the decompression solenoid. Solenoid works fine, but doesn't seem to push the linkage out all the way. Bent the "spoon" a bit, but I can still move it farther by hand. Doesn't seem to always move much at all (stuck). Thinking that there is a mechanical issue with the linkage, and when it gets to a point where it sticks, that's when the engine won't turn over.
White Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk Bumper

· Registered
416 Posts
Reaction score
Haven't ridden for awhile. TCLOCS, all good, so off for some falling leaves wind therapy. Still brings a smile. Ride safe, think safer!

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Got some bad news, dealer called and clutch is bad. This is on a new to me 2019 Freewheeler with 5k miles on it. I've never had a clutch go out this quick. Service guy guy wanted to know if I had ever started off with emergency brake on. I answered never and he said it's a common to have clutch failure on trike with ebrake on. So, it's possible the first owner had done it and just now showed up as an issue. Of course warranty doesn't cover clutches. So I told him I would come and get it to repair myself. He said to hang on for a second. He came back with a revised price of parts, which were in line, and only $200 labor. It's not worth $200 for me to tow is home and do the work myself, plus I get a one year warranty. So dealer said it would be done tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning. I'm having cataract surgery tomorrow so told him it would a few days till I pick it up.

6141 - 6160 of 6201 Posts