Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
6161 - 6180 of 6201 Posts

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Ok, I need educating.... How does a bad clutch prevent using 6th gear and how did you not detect a bad clutch in all the riding you do? The clutch felt normal to me as I was trying to crash the Trike last month. Actually, the clutch was just about the only thing that felt normal to me on that thing.....LOL

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
On my way riding to dealer I did a fifth gear throttle role and it acted funny, but didn't think much about it. I don't do full throttle hits very often. Dealer said tech could feel it slipping in fourth also. It didn't slip in lower RPMs on me. Dealer just called back confirming the clutch was toast after they tore it apart. Asked him to save plates so I could see. What makes me mad is I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do all my work. But really didn't notice clutch was slipping. Guess I need to ride it like I stole it more often. Remember, I went from an 88 motor with so-so power to a 114 rocket, so never really pushed it.

As I was typing this the dealer called me back with some interesting info. Turns out this is second clutch for this bike. It was replaced at another dealer at 700 miles on odometer. Note in file stated owner said ebrake had been left on for a pretty long distance. Not that I'm happy, but know first owner had ridden with ebrake on at least once for a pretty long distance. So once it's fixed, under my care, all should be good. New pads and rotors were also put on at that time.

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
You know, the more I write about this, the more embarrassed I am that I didn't recognize it was a slipping clutch. It was different than any other clutch issue I've had. Guess the low end power of this bike masked the symptoms to me.

Reactions: Boog

· Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,296 Posts
Reaction score
Weird one Les. Aren't you one to up shift frequently without clutching? I think I recall you saying that.

So, are they saying, the bike really WAS in 6th gear, but it was slipping so much that you could not tell it was in gear? I guess that is logical, but still hard to accept.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Bill,

Yes I do upshift a lot without pulling clutch in. Never had an issue before. But never had a 6 speed tranny. I haven't done that much at all with the trike.

Yes the transmission was definitely in sixth. With several starts, stops and going thru all the gears I can say I was in 6th. There was zero pull and just engine revs. When it started acting up I didn't push the bike at all. First thru fifth felt fine lower rpms. It appears that the clutch had been stressed before and finally gave out when in higher gears with greater rpms. In all my years I just have not experienced clutch failure like this.

· Registered
2012 xvs650a classic
159 Posts
Reaction score
Today i replaced the fat ugly, pillion seat with a slimmer, nicer looking pillion pad off an old chopper.
Also added some spot lights , wired into the highbeam and to satisfy the laws here, i wired in a switch so they can be turned off,
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle frame Motor vehicle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Tire Bicycle tire
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Dog

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
This weekend I picked up a small enclosed trailer to park my bike in. This moves it out of the conex and gives it a perminant place to park.
Great idea! I bet you won’t have rodent issues either. 🤔

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,495 Posts
Reaction score
This weekend I picked up a small enclosed trailer to park my bike in. This moves it out of the conex and gives it a perminant place to park.
My buddy wanted to buy an enclosed trailer but didn't want to store it. So he ask if he could keep it at my place (and I can use whenever I want) so I said "sure!".

Currently I'm using it as a garage as well. Works pretty good. I'll eventually take the bike to store when the weather gets to the point there won't be any more riding.

· Registered
70 Posts
Reaction score
When I first brought it home Saturday evening I put the wheel chock up in the front. Than with some help from my sister, pushed the bike up inside. At that point I realized that there are no tie downs, and I had to move the trailer (it was sitting in the middle of the driveway. Sunday's project was tie downs. I still have to find a place to park it. An ideal spot would be where the back opens onto the driveway, but I could get my truck around to the front if needed. I know of one such spot but there's a brush pile in the way, waiting to be burned. I'll probably just back it down the old driveway for the winter.

It has to be blocked up, to move the bike in and out when it's not connected to a tow vehicle. I'm thinking of even taking the tires off so I can lower it down even more. It's not hard to jack it up and throw the tires on if I need to actually trailer the bike somewhere, or use the trailer for some other reason.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Got an update on my trike today. While replacing the clutch they noticed free play in the transmission output shaft. So they ordered a new transmission that will be here tomorrow. They say it's easier and cheaper on them to replace entire transmission, gotta love that part of HD warranty. The transmission will be replaced under warranty. I questioned if the transmission free play could have caused the clutch to go out. The answer was possibly. So I asked for clutch to be replaced for free. Since clutch plates are not warranted they said no, but knocked all labor off so I'm only paying for clutch plates. While not super happy about it, it was a fair compromise. So hopefully I get the trike back soon.

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
So they ordered a new transmission that will be here tomorrow.
I was like, "WHAT?!? I've never heard of a Yamaha having that level of parts availability!!"

Then I remembered. ;)

Yeah, DEFINITELY gotta love that about HD!

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Got an update on my trike today. While replacing the clutch they noticed free play in the transmission output shaft. So they ordered a new transmission that will be here tomorrow. They say it's easier and cheaper on them to replace entire transmission, gotta love that part of HD warranty. The transmission will be replaced under warranty. I questioned if the transmission free play could have caused the clutch to go out. The answer was possibly. So I asked for clutch to be replaced for free. Since clutch plates are not warranted they said no, but knocked all labor off so I'm only paying for clutch plates. While not super happy about it, it was a fair compromise. So hopefully I get the trike back soon.
Not meant as a negative, but if it was me i would wonder about the Bike's past.

How many miles on her when you bought her, say it again would you, i seem to remember it was low, like 5K.

I would begin to wonder if the bike is a lemon or not. What's your take?

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
My take, original owner drove with rear parking brake causing clutch and tranny issue. Warranty covering everything except clutch plates. Bike only had 1800 miles when I bought it. Got extended warranty so if I had an issue it would be fixed. I'm not happy this is happening, but being fixed in a timely manner. I understand what happened and why it happened. I'm still very pleased with my purchase. Bike is not a lemon, just had a lemon owner the first few miles.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
My take, original owner drove with rear parking brake causing clutch and tranny issue. Warranty covering everything except clutch plates. Bike only had 1800 miles when I bought it. Got extended warranty so if I had an issue it would be fixed. I'm not happy this is happening, but being fixed in a timely manner. I understand what happened and why it happened. I'm still very pleased with my purchase. Bike is not a lemon, just had a lemon owner the first few miles.
Thank you for the good reply, it clears-up a number of things, still makes me wonder about the Dealer inspection process before selling a bike. Glad you got that warranty, but what was the dealers response when asked "why weren't these issues caught during pre-sale inspection?"?.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
I'm just glad the dealership didn't try to sweep the bad transmission under the rug, hope nobody noticed and wait to see if it continued to be problematic. Too bad about them not covering the clutch plates, but covering the labor is certainly helpful.

Unlike @Bucfan11's Yamaha/local dealer experience of "ride it 'til it grenades and then we'll talk about it". Yeah, sure, let me get it up in the Rocky Mountains somewhere and have the output shaft bearing seize and immobilize a 1/2 ton motorcycle and have a Tesla on autopilot (or other distracted driver) run over me...... Best carry bolt cutters to chop off the belt and be able to muscle the bike off the road.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Thank you for the good reply, it clears-up a number of things, still makes me wonder about the Dealer inspection process before selling a bike. Glad you got that warranty, but what was the dealers response when asked "why weren't these issues caught during pre-sale inspection?"?.
This trike was only on the lot for a few hours. The original owner died, Widow called dealer and asked for help selling it. The dealer had resenty done the 1k service, so they certified it based on that, did another fluid changes and put on floor. Within hours I bought it. No commission was charged by dealer. Dealer added in two year extended warranty at purchase. Did I expect any issues? No. But this dealer has a very good reputation and have taken care of issue so far. @AlanRides, I actually didn't expect dealer to eat cost of clutch, hey, stuff happens. But I still asked. The way a got them to cover labor was simple. I asked it they could remove and install tranny without touching clutch, they said no, so I said labor gets covered then. Gotta admit, 10 days from taking it in, it will be fixed. On a side note, did talk them into synthetic fluids at no additional charge. Another positive, several of the dealer folks follow my attempt of youtube riding videos and media input I do.

Reactions: VStarArizona

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
This trike was only on the lot for a few hours. The original owner died, Widow called dealer and asked for help selling it. The dealer had resenty done the 1k service, so they certified it based on that, did another fluid changes and put on floor. Within hours I bought it. No commission was charged by dealer. Dealer added in two year extended warranty at purchase. Did I expect any issues? No. But this dealer has a very good reputation and have taken care of issue so far. @AlanRides, I actually didn't expect dealer to eat cost of clutch, hey, stuff happens. But I still asked. The way a got them to cover labor was simple. I asked it they could remove and install tranny without touching clutch, they said no, so I said labor gets covered then. Gotta admit, 10 days from taking it in, it will be fixed. On a side note, did talk them into synthetic fluids at no additional charge. Another positive, several of the dealer folks follow my attempt of youtube riding videos and media input I do.
Since they have it now, and trying not to assume anything, wouldn't now be a good time to actually perform the pre-sale inspection. IOW. go completely over the bike, 126 point inspection type of thing. Safety is a big issue. Give you confidence about the future of the bike.

6161 - 6180 of 6201 Posts