Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
6181 - 6200 of 6201 Posts

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
It's Harley Davidson Certified, with attached two year, unlimited mileage warranty, not sure what else would need to check. Even though I hate I'm having the issue, stuff happens. They are fixing it in a timely fashion, all is good.

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
It's Harley Davidson Certified, with attached two year, unlimited mileage warranty, not sure what else would need to check. Even though I hate I'm having the issue, stuff happens. They are fixing it in a timely fashion, all is good.

View attachment 122031
So you're saying they did the pre-sale inspection? I'm confused now,. i thought you bought the bike so fast they didn't have time. Now i am saying NOW they have time (and the bike) to perform the inspection, for safety if nothing else. I don't think they are doing you any favors, you should not have to pay a dime.
This assumes I know ALL the details, which is impossible.

2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
What I'm saying, due to mileage, them very recently doing the 1k service, it meet the requirements of being Harley-Davidson Certified for warranty and resale purposes. I'm pleased and satisfied with that.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
You know that means they did the "Certified Warranty" inspection, then let a maniac ride the bike for X number of days/months, then sold you the bike saying they have done the inspection.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
You know that means they did the "Certified Warranty" inspection, then let a maniac ride the bike for X number of days/months, then sold you the bike saying they have done the inspection.
Your opinion. I still have faith with businesses that have earned a reputation like the one I bought from and did my research. It appears your faith in a well known local business isn't what mine is. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and that's all that matters.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
You know ALL the details too. From where i sit and what i know about the transaction, defending the dealership that sold you a bike with a bad clutch and bad transmission, and betting your life on it, seems counter-intuitive. I know you like the bike, so do I, i care more about you than the dealership. Nuff said. Good Luck.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Remember, it took me putting 3k miles on the trike for the issue to raise it's ugly head. I don't baby my bikes at all, live on a dirt road, pop wheelies, been 115mph on it, ride twisting roads aggressively, brake hard and late at times, etc. But I maintain all my bikes to a high standard to be safe doing all my crazy stuff. It's almost impossible to diagnose a problem that will happen in 3k miles from now. Guess I'm just not understand how you think this issue would have been observed by an inspection, how I haven't noticed before in 3k miles and you think dealer knew it. Thanks for caring for my safety.

When I bought bike. July 2022

Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Light Gauge

And day it went into shop.

Watch Light Speedometer Blue Gauge

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
Remember, it took me putting 3k miles on the trike for the issue to raise it's ugly head. I don't baby my bikes at all, live on a dirt road, pop wheelies, been 115mph on it, ride twisting roads aggressively, brake hard and late at times, etc. But I maintain all my bikes to a high standard to be safe doing all my crazy stuff. It's almost impossible to diagnose a problem that will happen in 3k miles from now. Guess I'm just not understand how you think this issue would have been observed by an inspection, how I haven't noticed before in 3k miles and you think dealer knew it. Thanks for caring for my safety.

When I bought bike. July 2022

View attachment 122032

And day it went into shop.

View attachment 122033
No, i didn't say the dealer knew about these issues, i'm saying the dealer didn't look at these or any issues when it was traded in, reason being they had done the inspection before on the bike, before releasing it to the prior owner, him riding the bike then trading it in, then selling it to you.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Dealer just called. They got my speed enhancing unit and anti stall box all fixed up. They did me right on clutch replacement since warranty doesn't cover the plates. Of course it's raining now so won't pick up till tomorrow, that's a maybe depending on how quickly my road dries and how I feel.

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
I want to preface this post by saying I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, still recovering from Covid and picked the trike up.

Well, "Pumpkin" is home.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Carla and I haven't left the house in a week due to being sick. Cupboard was getting low so we combined our tasks at hand, bike and food. We turned in a grocery order for pickup, so off we went. Started out a little cool, but I caged it there, so no biggie.

Product Azure Font Gadget Technology

Dealer is about 45 minutes away. Get there and bike is sitting outside waiting on me. The bike was extremely clean. I'm always careful on letting other folks work on my stuff. In fact this was the first time since mid 80s I've had a bike in the shop. So first side I look at is clutch side. Beside a few wrench marks on bolts, everything was perfect.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

This is clutch set I had them put in. Since friction plates aren't covered under warranty, I had to pay the parts price, they waved labor. The old plates were definitely scored. Was it caused by my clutchless shifting, possibly. I need to stop doing that, old racing habit.

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Rim Adhesive

Now for the transmission. This was covered under warranty, minus $50 copay. The fifth to six gear fork was bent, they just replaced the whole transmission.

Font Line Engineering Auto part Parallel

They did a great job on this side also. The exhaust had to be dropped, no marks at all.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Moral of story, ride trike like a touring bike it is and not like a sport bike. But I can say you can wheelie this thing all the way thru first and second only setting the front end down when hitting third.

Did warm up on way home. But I'm totally wore out after a week of being sick and doing absolutely nothing.

Cloud Sky Azure Font Screenshot

15,290 Posts
Reaction score
@lesblank

Glad you got your Bike back and this is behind you!

Tell me, isn't there a indicator to tell you the emergency brake (E brake) is on? Is it a Light on the dash by the speedo? A dummy light of some sort? Wondering.
Yes there is.

Watch Measuring instrument Gauge Clock Speedometer

I don't think I've ever even tried to take off with it on except once. I started a habit when I first got the trike, the ebrake is just like a side stand. It's in the same spot. The ebrake is actually really good and locks up the rear axle.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

When I come to a stop to get off, I set it just like you would put down a kick stand. Then when I go take off, I push it off. Now, could I left it on, sure. But actually think it was the previous owner.

Reactions: VStarArizona

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Finally got around to changing the oil today, only a little late (shhhh...don't tell Yamamama). Only the 2nd time I've done it as I wrangled a dealer service package when I bought it in November 2019, so still working on my technique, but it's only a moderate PITA, so no complaints there..

However, I cannot wrap my head around this semi-dry sump concept and all the weird things I see when checking oil levels before and after the change process. Before changing I ran the engine for a few minutes, leveled the bike and checked the dipstick 3 minutes after shutting down. Dipstick was dry. Drained the oil and measured it right at 5 quarts drained, including what I got out of the filter, so around 1/2 quart low. So far, so good. Added 2.4 quarts to the crankcase and 3.2 quarts to the tank (total 5.6 quarts) as described in the service manual. Oil level was observed at 50% of the hash mark on the dipstick. Started engine, ran for 3 minutes & confirmed no leaks, waited 3 more minutes and saw no oil on the dipstick. Waited 10 more minutes and no change. I assume the oil that was on the dipstick is now in the crankcase, because it's not on the floor.

So, for those of you that have dealt with the semi-dry sumps longer than I have, is there something nefarious going on with scavenger oil pump that is leaving too much in the crankcase and, if so, is it something I need to be worried about? Other than not being able to tell how much oil I have in the oil tank I'm not terribly worried about those levels as I assume the design of the oil galleries will keep the crankcase lubricated as long I don't run extremely low on oil.

One wild card is that I'm not using a factory oil filter, so I guess it is possible the volume of my replacement filter may be larger and thus the crankcase will rob oil from the tank to make up the difference. If so, I guess I could add a little to the oil tank until I get a usable reading on the dipstick and worst case is I'll have a little more oil than recommended, but that should just help with cooling?

Sorry for the long post, but with the known lifter/cam problems on these engines have I am pretty sensitive to oil issues. I've got 45k on mine and don't know if I'm one of the lucky ones or living on the brink of disaster....LOL

Thanks for reading....

· Registered
70 Posts
Reaction score
I guess this isn't stuff I did to my bike, since it was just kind of along for the ride, but I fired up an old Rancher and moved it out of the way. Fired up the Rubicon and plowed out a nice fairly flat spot along the driveway to park the trailer. Than used the 4-wheeler to move the trailer with my Silverado inside to it's new spot. The trailer is now parked, my truck is now usable, and the road to my snow dump is clear. Not bad for a lazy Saturday.

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
Finally got around to changing the oil today, only a little late (shhhh...don't tell Yamamama). Only the 2nd time I've done it as I wrangled a dealer service package when I bought it in November 2019, so still working on my technique, but it's only a moderate PITA, so no complaints there..

However, I cannot wrap my head around this semi-dry sump concept and all the weird things I see when checking oil levels before and after the change process. Before changing I ran the engine for a few minutes, leveled the bike and checked the dipstick 3 minutes after shutting down. Dipstick was dry. Drained the oil and measured it right at 5 quarts drained, including what I got out of the filter, so around 1/2 quart low. So far, so good. Added 2.4 quarts to the crankcase and 3.2 quarts to the tank (total 5.6 quarts) as described in the service manual. Oil level was observed at 50% of the hash mark on the dipstick. Started engine, ran for 3 minutes & confirmed no leaks, waited 3 more minutes and saw no oil on the dipstick. Waited 10 more minutes and no change. I assume the oil that was on the dipstick is now in the crankcase, because it's not on the floor.

So, for those of you that have dealt with the semi-dry sumps longer than I have, is there something nefarious going on with scavenger oil pump that is leaving too much in the crankcase and, if so, is it something I need to be worried about? Other than not being able to tell how much oil I have in the oil tank I'm not terribly worried about those levels as I assume the design of the oil galleries will keep the crankcase lubricated as long I don't run extremely low on oil.

One wild card is that I'm not using a factory oil filter, so I guess it is possible the volume of my replacement filter may be larger and thus the crankcase will rob oil from the tank to make up the difference. If so, I guess I could add a little to the oil tank until I get a usable reading on the dipstick and worst case is I'll have a little more oil than recommended, but that should just help with cooling?

Sorry for the long post, but with the known lifter/cam problems on these engines have I am pretty sensitive to oil issues. I've got 45k on mine and don't know if I'm one of the lucky ones or living on the brink of disaster....LOL

Thanks for reading....
I can’t tell you about your SVTC but I know the Warrior has a similar oil system design. I never get the right amount per the manual but I fill and check it just like it says to and almost always have about a half quart more than stated to get it to read on my dipstick. I’m more interested in making sure it reads correctly than to blindly put in only what it says I should need. I’d recommend the same on yours.

As for being worried about extra oil… if it’s correct on the dipstick when following the procedure, then you’re good to go!!

· Registered
95 Posts
Reaction score
I sprayed the lower half of the back of my windshield with black Plastidip to make the chrome on the front pop out.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
95 Posts
Reaction score
And today... I pulled the rear wheel and lubed the splines on my drive shaft! All without burning down the house.

Unfortunately I can't test ride it just yet due to recent foot(feet) operation(s), but if it doesn't fall off then WOO HOO!

Next day update: The OCD in me couldn't remember if I had lubed one of the splines so I pulled it all apart and checked everything.... (I had done it...) :ROFLMAO: Much easier the second time though.

· Super Moderator
444 Posts
Reaction score
Is anybody else stuck at work thinking about just punching out to go work on your bike to take care of that one mod you haven't gotten around to or knocking out some service you know is overdue?

It's all I can think about this week and with work projects getting out of hand (new senior leadership doesn't quite understand the purpose of my department so they're treating us like we're something we're not and that's spiraling out of control), it's hard to want to stay at work... especially when I know my bike has a suspension upgrade, a clutch upgrade, and fresh oil waiting. All I want to do is throw it up on my lift and get to work...

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Started getting low FOB battery error messages so replaced both FOB's batteries today. If memory serves I replaced the original FOB battery in December 2019 and I bought an additional FOB in January 2020. The FOB battery throwing the error read 2.84 volts and the other FOB was at 2.96 volts (no error message when using that one). New batteries both read 3.26 volts. (All readings are out of the device, unloaded). I'm betting the "new" CR2025 Lithium batteries came from the same stash as the ones I took out as they are all the same brand and I usually buy things like that in multiples. Date code on the package is 07/2017 and shelf life of Lithiums is up to 10 years, so should be good to go.

I rotate FOBs every month and turn them off when not in use, so that would indicate approximately 18 months of service life for the batteries..

Hard work.....might be time for a nap.....:cool:

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,053 Posts
Reaction score
i felt like a disgrace, lazy procrastinator, thinking of yet another reason to not get off my duff and do some stuff to the bike. Here it was 70 degrees out, no excuses. Somehow i was miraculously able to rise above it
and take the steps....

Long story short, i bought some Ride-On for motorcycles and put it in the rear tire perfectly, i did not spill a drop and i got the correct amount in (13ozs), no question. I had had a slow leak to where i had to add 7-8 lb psi every 2 weeks, which means i must have been 4 lbs short after 1 week. This bothered me and i was also tired of adding air so much all the time. Plus the balancing aspect of the product is a major bonus. Changed to a new valve stem while i was at it.

Put everything away, i made no mess, tire off the ground during fill and re-air to 40 lbs. Now i didn't take it for a ride yet, but i will tomorrow. didn't start till 3:30pm finished at around 4:30pm all told and didn't feel like riding today.

So i actually did something, hurray. 😁

6181 - 6200 of 6201 Posts