Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
6241 - 6260 of 6295 Posts

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,375 Posts
Reaction score
was going to write about how i put in some castrol 20w-50 4t jaso ma2 a few months ago that give me some clutch slippage. the auto store had it for about $4.50 and they only had two bottles. they probably found it during an inventory of the store. so i replaced it with some costco diesel 15w-40 last week. i figured its probably close enough to shell rotella t4 or t6. i do changes by dumping out the oil tank. the crankcase drain bolt is a pain to get to.

it handled rough the day i put in the costco diesel oil. but it could have been the sub 40F temps. i didnt like riding in that cold. normally, i use mobile1 10w-40 or 20w-50. ive even tried the supertech equivalent in the past. sometimes i prefill the oil filter.

fast forward to this afternoon. plan out a 3.5 - 4 hour ride, while watching some videos about riding techniques. picked a few small towns and such with the last leg being the interstate to get home by dark. oil did fine, no clutch slippage felt. great ride. sun in my eyes, wind in my helmet, ear plugs to preserve my remaining hearing. lots of straight lines with a few curves here and there.

i had built up all kinds of confidence going through the curves thus far. then it finally happened. not even two miles from the interstate. a double dog leg. practically a right hand turn, followed by a straightaway barely longer than two 18 wheelers, then a left hand turn. i saw the road sign and was expecting the road to curve like the ones before it. then it hit me, the other signs had curved arrows. this one was a right/left double right angle line.

i barely made it halfway through the turn. ended up in the gravel lot on the other side. eventually, coming to a stop resting on the freshly bent linby bar. it also got more scratches on the windshield from some low hanging branches. the new cycle gear jeans got scuffed up a bit at the knee pads. i didnt even feel anything on the left knee, guess ill know in the morning. another biker stopped and helped me upright the bike. the last leg on the interstate was just over an hour long ride. the bike and i did just fine.

i'm just over 21000 miles on this bike and just barely over 11000 on the scooter. i know i need more practice. i usually make curves and corners at speeds that would probably incite road rage with drivers behind me. but its at a pace that's comfortable for me.

ive had my fair share of tipovers. the usual backing out of the garage or parking area. forgetting to put down the kickstand. ive even tipped over while doing a u turn. but this was my first at a speed faster than a duck walk.

im wondering how much of that plexus or wax im going to need to buff out the scratches. next weekend, ill assess the damage after washing the mud off the left side and bugs off the windshield. i dont intend to part with the roadstar. it looks good, has only one carb to clean, and it's red.

im expecting the scooter back next week, as the last part was delayed by the weather last week. there is something about small bikes being easier to manage and fun. i had a blast the first time out on the tail of the dragon, the mountains around maggie valley, and the blue ridge parkway with a 300cc scooter.
Sorry to hear about your misadventure this afternoon. Thankfully it sounds like the bike's and your safety gear did their jobs and hopefully tomorrow morning won't bring any new discomfort,

About the oil, I used Castrol GTX 10-40 for all 80,000+ miles I put on my Nomad and it didn't cause any clutch slippage that I could discern. As you observed it's Jaso rated, so that is very curious. Glad you were able to dilute it and get the clutch back towards normal.

Hope you and your bike heal up quickly!

· Registered
140 Posts
Reaction score
Super glad you are OK, that's the main thing. Shows again, gear does make a difference.
thanks. i think ill limit the big bike to larger roadways for a while. ill definitely be more deliberate in dropping speed before going into corners and curves. i routinely watch several youtube presenters on riding techniques and safety. but the only way to learn is to practice.

this was the first time getting riding specific pants, im pretty sure it saved the knee from being scraped up. the knee joint itself is another story. i didnt see any marks on the jacket or gloves.

forgot to mention, i also scored two bottles of valvoline dino 10w-40 for $0.77 from the clearance bin that same day at the auto store. they were caked in dust. guy called up the manager to confirm. i was going to use it in the scooter until i got the costco diesel oil. guess itll go in the honda push mower when mowing season starts.

· Registered
2007 V Star 1100 Classic, 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX11
83 Posts
Reaction score
hate to hear when someone goes down, but love to hear when it isn't bad. we all do it at some point (or like me, a few points and a couple curves) and if it doesn't kill, it teaches (hopefully). glad you're functional.

· Registered
140 Posts
Reaction score
bike is free of mud and gravel. except for the gravel colored chicken strips, nobody would ever know. frame probably lost some paint, but my knees aren't cooperating to let me get a peek. hard cases already scratched from previous tipovers. ive got driving lights on the lindby bar. left one looks a little pointed towards the outside, if you know what i mean. probably replace the bar someday.

i got turtle wax at the store. i probably could have spent a bit more for the meguiar products. the marks from the branches are barely noticeable. the marks i left the other day are still there. ill go easier on the elbow grease when removing bugs.

I've read on the other forum that folks upgrade their suspension for better response. i feel at my experience level, it wouldn't make much difference. the xmax scooter on the other hand, needs an upgrade. it makes a humvee feel like like a cadillac.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,176 Posts
Reaction score
It was the Valve, I was right. New valve put in rear wheel. no tire needed, I had the change the brake fluid front and rear too, i supplied the fluid since i already had it. Progre$$ive roadside assistance (the tow truck) was late by more than three hours, i didn't show-up until 3pm (supposed to be there at 12:30pm!). They had the nerve
to text me for a review, I ignored it.

Anyway, the bike is home now i had to ride it home in the dark and it was 45F, it was cold.

$150 total out-the-door. It will be nice to not have add air so much of the time and nothing bad happened, like a crash due to sudden air loss.

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,753 Posts
Reaction score
Got a windshield bad today. Going to work great for small items, like my brain.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Analog watch Light Watch Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,176 Posts
Reaction score
Put the Saddlebags back on as well as the Flag back on Bike. I had put on the tour pack on the rear rack to hold the helmet and gloves so i wouldn't have the carry them around with me all day when the bike was serviced. Also put all the tools, towels etc back in the bags and wiped down the bike.

I know it sounds corny, but i try and put things back as good or better than i found them. Reinstalled the bags and wiped all the rubber grommets with a formulated silicone paste (Shin-Etsu 08798-9013) which is made in Japan and primarily used as a protectant for weather strips on cars, i had a tube of it.

Lots of parts to reinstall on the saddlebags, got to be careful not to lose them as its easy to do.

Parts needed to install two Saddlebags (OEM V-Star 1300 Tourer):
16 rubber grommets (8 per side), everything else 4 per side.
8 metal spacers/stand-offs
8 large washers (black)
8 long screws

I uses threadlock on all screws, including Flag. It was still colder today as expected. Supposed to be a warm weekend (70's).

New glasses due any day now, can't wait.

· Registered
2008 V-Star 1300 Tourer
1,176 Posts
Reaction score
Put the Saddlebags back on as well as the Flag back on Bike. I had put on the tour pack on the rear rack to hold the helmet and gloves so i wouldn't have the carry them around with me all day when the bike was serviced. Also put all the tools, towels etc back in the bags and wiped down the bike.

I know it sounds corny, but i try and put things back as good or better than i found them. Reinstalled the bags and wiped all the rubber grommets with a formulated silicone paste (Shin-Etsu 08798-9013) which is made in Japan and primarily used as a protectant for weather strips on cars, i had a tube of it.

Lots of parts to reinstall on the saddlebags, got to be careful not to lose them as its easy to do.

Parts needed to install two Saddlebags (OEM V-Star 1300 Tourer):
16 rubber grommets (8 per side), everything else 4 per side.
8 metal spacers/stand-offs
8 large washers (black)
8 long screws

I uses threadlock on all screws, including Flag. It was still colder today as expected. Supposed to be a warm weekend (70's).

New glasses due any day now, can't wait.
BTW, New eyeglasses came into the store, got a call! These are the new glasses:
(it will be nice to see 100% now.) That's not me, its off their website ;).

Glasses Forehead Nose Hair Face

· Registered
1 Posts
Reaction score
Finished servicing the final drive on my '04 650, and gave her a quick wipe down with some spray wax and a microfiber cloth. Full grease job, changed the diff oil, and new rear brakes! Just gotta grab my torque wrench from work on Monday and tighten the axle nut. Gonna change the Crankcase oil next week and flush the front brake fluid. Then she'll all set for the year!
Tire Water Wheel Sky Land vehicle

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,375 Posts
Reaction score
Part 1 of 2 to replace the rear tire. Got the wheel off today and cleaned up, must have been 10 pounds of road grime on that thing. The rear tire is barely visible when the bags are mounted, so I rarely go to the trouble to clean that wheel between tire changes. I'm getting too old to get myself twisted up like a pretzel to clean about 15% of the wheel before having to get up and roll the bike to get to the next 15%. Noticed a lot of missing paint on the rear pulley. It's been like that for a while and I have no idea what happened, but I figured this is as good a time as any to touch that up. Similar to the wheel/tire the pulley is almost completely hidden when the bags are on, but what the heck. Got all the grime off of it, scuffed it up with some fairly coarse steel wool, clean it up again and hit with some black rattle can paint. I guess time will tell how that holds up. Tomorrow off the shop for the tire swap and then back to the garage for re-assembly. Probably spend most of the day after that cleaning nooks and crannies and all those hidden motorcycle places.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light

Saw an odd wear pattern I haven't noticed before, and the picture doesn't show it very well, but the center of the tread is lower both sidewalls, kind of like a concave lens. I got just short of 10k miles on this one which is better than my normal 8k range. I did run this one a with a little less pressure (36-38 psi opposed to my usual 40-41 psi), but by no means soft. Hoping the new Avon Chrome gets better service that the Bridgestone Exedra I've been running.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,375 Posts
Reaction score
Well, bad planning, late start, sick wife, and misaligned stars all conspired to prevent my projected completion of the rear tire change today. Got it mounted and reinstalled and some of the hardware back on, but I have a few more hours of parts assembly and clean up before I can call it done. Oh well, probably no riding for a few days anyway what with all the external issues going on.......c'est la vie.

Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Tire Hood

· Registered
2008 v star 1300
886 Posts
Reaction score
Well, bad planning, late start, sick wife, and misaligned stars all conspired to prevent my projected completion of the rear tire change today. Got it mounted and reinstalled and some of the hardware back on, but I have a few more hours of parts assembly and clean up before I can call it done. Oh well, probably no riding for a few days anyway what with all the external issues going on.......c'est la vie.

View attachment 124629

View attachment 124630
I like the black stool you have, it'll be around forever.

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,675 Posts
Reaction score
Took off fuel pump, bracket, motor mount, and carb. Polished on the valve covers and pushrod tubes to get them cleaned up. Getting ready to try and clean the engine fins good so I can repaint the engine (Midnight Edition of Road Star). Anyone have any suggestions on something to help clean and remove the oxidation from the engine fins?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,753 Posts
Reaction score
I've used emery cloth on a popsicle/tongue depression stick. It's slow but works well without damaging anything. I spray with WD40 as a cleaner/lubricant.

Reactions: Boog

· Super Moderator
1,675 Posts
Reaction score
I've used emery cloth on a popsicle/tongue depression stick. It's slow but works well without damaging anything. I spray with WD40 as a cleaner/lubricant.
Hmmm...interesting. I've got a spray bottle with Simple Green I figured I'd use as the cleaner prior to paint. That should help wash off any WD40 residue. Harbor Freight had a package of small round wire brushes that I bought that has one that's just about right for the fins. But wasn't sure about the oxidation.

· Registered
161 Posts
Reaction score
I got really tired of the "deflated tire" look of the stock saddlebags on my 650 Classic, so I decided to try something along the MAD MAX line. Some will like it, some will HATE it, which is just what I want. :)

I had to modify the OEM mounting bracket, which I did. And I also verified something I already knew - I am a really bad welder. But I am a great GRINDER. So after all the fiddling, here they are mounted. Two 40mm Ammo cases. And They fit using the same holes as the saddlebags, so they are easily switched.

I am deciding on whether or not to paint them. I am leaning toward Hammered Finish black, but I do like the stock look...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

· Super Moderator
1,675 Posts
Reaction score
I got really tired of the "deflated tire" look of the stock saddlebags on my 650 Classic, so I decided to try something along the MAD MAX line. Some will like it, some will HATE it, which is just what I want. :)

I had to modify the OEM mounting bracket, which I did. And I also verified something I already knew - I am a really bad welder. But I am a great GRINDER. So after all the fiddling, here they are mounted. Two 40mm Ammo cases. And They fit using the same holes as the saddlebags, so they are easily switched.

I am deciding on whether or not to paint them. I am leaning toward Hammered Finish black, but I do like the stock look...

View attachment 124840

View attachment 124841
It's not my taste personally. But it is kinda cool in it's own way. So I think your Mad Max alteration worked out great. Add the fact you can change it back and forth when the mood strikes is a plus!

6241 - 6260 of 6295 Posts