Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well …. I'm still waiting for the roads to clear so it is safe to go out for a ride. So !!!!!

I decided to get ready and did my spring prep today changed the oil, cleaned and oiled the K&N air filter. went over every thing to make sure I'm ready to go when the time is right. I also installed a new Lindby engine guard & hwy. pegs. today.

WOW I must be itching to ride!!!!!

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Im at the frustrating part of the year, it will be in the 20s or low 30s F in the morning, too cold to ride to work, but it will hit 40 to 50 in the afternoon.

Riding in the cold is worse in the spring than in the fall. In the fall the air is dry, the streets are warm from the previous sunny day. 40F feels brisk but pleasant.

In the spring if its 40 the street (and ground) can still be frozen, the air is damp from the condensation, and it tends to drizzle a lot.

I managed to somewhat fix the clutch lever on Ursa the other day. The mechanism that holds it out and on and holds it in place is broke, so before I had to hold the knob pulled out for a good minute to let the bike warm up, and as soon as I let it go it sprung all the way in, and the engine was balky for the first mile down the road. Managed to put a few zip ties to hold it together, so much easier to start now, and the engine does not stall at the end of my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
I normally ride year round. Noooo, not today. Had surgery and can't wear helmet. 🤕
But I did cage it to work. Booooooo.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I had an epiphany about 5 years back when I was checking out. I had a couple large bottles of soda, a gallon of milk, orange juice, a big bottle of laundry soap... I realized I had a shopping cart full of water, with about a pound of food mixed throughout, and some soap

that was when I stopped soft drinks, preferring tea, and stopped buying anything that is pre-mixed with water if I can. Not just when Im making a quick stop on two wheels, all the time.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Today I helped my son fix a stereo problem on his truck, someone stole his amp so he picked one up off EBay and today we installed it. It was either today or wait a week since tomorrow there's a ride planned with the local club and kickstands go up at 9 AM. I'm not going to miss out on that!! Good weather this weekend, finally...

·
Registered
146 Posts
What did you do today

Shoveled the light snow from the garden shed where I keep the bike to the and the driveway then got the bike out and rode for two hours - very sunny - melted most of the light snow we had last night - temps around freezing but acceptable for this time of the year - repeat tomorrow without the snow and possibly higher temps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
88 Miles and a BBQ fest on my first ride into town!

I rode all day; and it seemed like everyone else in the area who has a bike was out too!

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thank You. Is uploading a picture like that an option for everyone? I tried pasting, that doesn't work, uploading below where you can drag and drop seems to be smaller pictures, but I've seen others stick them directly into the message and it looks better. Is there a trick?

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
80 mile ride on Ursa today

stopped for coffee in Naples, NY and had a nice conversation with a retired Marine

Sprayed Ursa down good before putting her back in the garage, saw some patches of salt on the roads, not taking any chances.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Well, it was 71 degrees today so it was definite riding after church. I started out solo and passing a QT gas station I saw a small group of bikes parked so I stopped in to say “hi”. Then a few more bikes they were wating for showed up and they invited me to ride with them. Turns out there were two other pastors there and myself made 3 plus a few of his congregants, a cousin, and a few friends. So we rode a beautiful back country road loop. Probably about 180 miles all in all. Stopped off at a roadside ice cream shop about midway. It was sooo nice to be wearing a short sleeve shirt and riding again!
Made some new friends...one of the nice thing about the “biking” community.
Had one guy who had come down from the Pocono Mountains in PA. He was riding a 1983 Honda Shadow 750. It was in great shape and only had 26k miles in it. Here’s the sad part... HE was the original owner! In 36 years he had only put 26k miles on it?? Now THAT is truly a “weekend warrior”. I’ve had my SVTC for little over a year and have 20k on it already.
Oh well, at least he does get out on 2 wheels.. that’s the important part right?

Hope you winter bound guys get freed up soon! Can you hear your bike screaming for attention and the road once again calling your name? Soon my friend.. SOON!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I still have some snow in my driveway. Waiting for it to melt away and street sweepers to come by before I can go out for a ride. So, I sanded down my oxidized control switches and flaking passenger floor boards to get ready for painting next weekend. I figure I have 3 to 4 weeks to get everything ready to put back together. I should make it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
Same thing I use for pics Les.
Great minds think alike. Oh, wait, I'm always losing my mind. There it is, got to chase it down. Beeee right back. 😵

1 - 20 of 22 Posts