Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out to my bike the other day and noticed that the thumb piece on the turn signal switch was missing. No idea what happened but want to replace it. I've done all kinds of google searching, but turned up nothing. I don't know if that part has a particular name that I'm unaware of, or if it's just not something that's commonly sold, or what. I'm including a pic in case my description is lacking.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't know. However, when i looked for it using the OEM parts look up, the entire switch comes as 1 part and costs $117. If it were me, I'd try a junk yard or maybe EBAY or carve one from a piece of wood or something. Maybe cut a piece from an old tire and super glue it on?

·
2,525 Posts
If there are any motorcycle salvage places around you I expect one from pretty much any bike would work.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
normally that would be called a knob

maybe a slider

·
Registered
85 Posts
I call it a "thingy".

They're sometimes confused with "whatchamacallits".

·
Registered
259 Posts
Depends on what you are riding. I may be wrong but if that is on an SVTC...I think it is the "engage" button for the flux capacitor...but to be sure, ask Chiefgunner...he would know for certain...

Toymaker

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it looks like my local dealer wants to sell me a whole switch cluster for 120 bucks. Um, no thanks! Would one of you fine riders like to photograph up close your thumbswitch, preferably with a ruler so I can get measurements? I know a couple of people with 3d printers and will just have them make me a new one.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
switches and knobs like that tend to be standard sizes

bet you could find one on an old stereo, any kind of old electronics that has slide switches.

also a lot of parts are the same on all Vstar bikes, the mirrors, throttles, levers, turn signal lenses, headlights....

the important measurement it the metal tab on your bike, the knob has to fit that, but it can be any size and shape you want - if you have access to a 3d printer make something unique.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
So it looks like my local dealer wants to sell me a whole switch cluster for 120 bucks. Um, no thanks! Would one of you fine riders like to photograph up close your thumbswitch, preferably with a ruler so I can get measurements? I know a couple of people with 3d printers and will just have them make me a new one.
If you pm me cell# or email address i can send it larger to see better. Looks to be 5/8" wide and the height to fit the slot. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
switches and knobs like that tend to be standard sizes

bet you could find one on an old stereo, any kind of old electronics that has slide switches.

also a lot of parts are the same on all Vstar bikes, the mirrors, throttles, levers, turn signal lenses, headlights....

the important measurement it the metal tab on your bike, the knob has to fit that, but it can be any size and shape you want - if you have access to a 3d printer make something unique.
I like that idea maybe put a beer tapper on it.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
how's this for a button face:

< L FIRE R >

·
Banned
137 Posts
Use a dice and then cut a slot for the metal tab, then install it on the tab. Most unique turn signal knob ever. Wait until you need a u-joint in your AWD cager and they tell you have to buy the whole driveshaft, been there done that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts