Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK new to this whole thing and wondering what you do with your gear when you stop. Granted if I'm just stopping for a soda @ the convenience store I'm just gonna lay the helmet on the bike and leave my jacket on but what about if your are inside longer? If I stop for dinner or something I can take my jacket and throw it beside me in the booth, but what if I'm somewhere I can't lay my jacket? I don't want to carry it around a store for an hour.
Basically what I'm wondering is can I just throw it across my bike and expect it to be there when I return? Just wondering what to do with it before I make a costly mistake. I see bikes all the time sitting with a helmet on it somewhere but never noticed or thought about jacket.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I don't take the chance with my gear. The helmet gets locked on the bike and the jacket gets to come with me where ever I go. I do have a length of aviation cable with loops at each end that I thread through the sleeves and lock with the helmet but a pair of cutters can take care of that quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK new to this whole thing and wondering what you do with your gear when you stop. Granted if I'm just stopping for a soda @ the convenience store I'm just gonna lay the helmet on the bike and leave my jacket on but what about if your are inside longer? If I stop for dinner or something I can take my jacket and throw it beside me in the booth, but what if I'm somewhere I can't lay my jacket? I don't want to carry it around a store for an hour.
Basically what I'm wondering is can I just throw it across my bike and expect it to be there when I return? Just wondering what to do with it before I make a costly mistake. I see bikes all the time sitting with a helmet on it somewhere but never noticed or thought about jacket.
I personally just keep my jacket on and often times I carry my helmet with me as well. Most of the time I see people leave helmets with their bikes they are locked to the bike, but all someone would have to do is be a dick and cut the strap. It's not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not sure what bike you have, but on the 1300 there is a helmet lock under the seat. I just have to unlock the seat, lift it up, hook the d-ring of the chin strap on the little hook which allows the helmet to hang off the left side of the bike, then just lock the seat back in place.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
178 Posts
Usually I can stuff my jacket in my saddlebag. I wouldn't risk leaving anything out in my area. I had a cheap helmet that I left on the bike to run into a store. 7 minuets later it was gone without a trace. I picked up a backpack at Cycle Gear for $25 that can hold my coat gloves and a few essentials and has a pocket on the back for my helmet. Everything goes on there and it comes with me to class everyday. When I get to the bike it tucks nicely into the bags. If I need extra space I can wear the backpack or strap it to the back.

·
Registered
600 Posts
GPS and Helmet headsets go in saddlebags and locked. Coat, chaps, etc, either go in saddle bags or taken in with us. Helmets locked on bike with carbiner lock and cable, or goes in with us. Rarely leave "stuff" hanging on the bike. OCD ?? Yep, but mostly don't trust many people these days.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It depends on where we are, most times I will leave my helmet unlocked hanging on the highway pegs if I'm in an area where kids might take it ( what they think is funny) I will lock it up. My jacket the same thing or I will lock it in the saddlebag. My wife is with my most times and I moved her helmet lock to the front wheel for easier access, she has the 1100 Custom. I will try and post a pic later of the helmet lock and location. I don't think anyone wants to steal a helmet unless maybe an extremely expensive one. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I also don't really like leaving my helmet out in the sun and dust for long periods. Many just a little anal but I came stand a dirty visor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I ride the Goldwing everything gets locked in the trunk. On the 1100 the PO removed the helmet lock to put on leather saddle bags so I had to come up with something. I use a 3" padlock thru the luggage rack. When the helmet is sitting on it you can't even see the lock. Just recently I came out to find the helmet hanging off the side, so I have to think someone thought it was easy pickings to grab the helmet and run only to find it was secured to the bike. And as others have said, my jacket goes with me. I never leave anything of value in the saddlebags.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just leave the helmet on my seat and in all the years Ive been doing that no one has touched it. I dont leave my jacket on the bike only because I dont want scratches here and there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It always depends on where and what. If my bike is around other bikers I do not worry. Pity the fool who tries to mess with the bike. Other than that, "Out of sight" is your best solution. If you cannot stow it and lock it - take it with you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This is why I factored in the cost of aftermarket lockable hardbags when I was shopping for a bike. I work in off-site catering and tend to ride to jobs and there usually isn't room for all my gear at whatever venue I end up at. So the boots and jacket end up in one bag, the overpants and any extra stuff (like bungee cords that never come off the bike) are in the other bag and the helmet goes with me unless hubby is driving the equipment truck in which case I lock the helmet into the truck cab. 8-12 hrs later everything is there and I don't have to worry about anyone moving my stuff around (which happens a lot to people's personal gear...)

Mind you, back in the day when I toured the country on a fully loaded 500cc Vulcan with soft bags and piles of stuff bungeed to the passenger seat I used to just leave my helmet perched on the mirror if I stopped for a coffee or even a short hike... sometimes I left the jacket thrown over the stuff on the rear seat so it wouldn't fall down. No-one ever messed with my gear... but it's not something I would ever do in an urban area.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A lot depends on your area to. Here in Los Angeles something can disappear never to be seen again in seconds. Someone messing with stuff would never be noticed, recognized or reported. In a town of 500 its not likely someone will grab your helmet and risk being seen with it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I ride its for pleasure not for transportation.
The odd time I ride to work. When I do ride to work I roll my chaps up like this:
And I put them in my saddle bags with my boots , and change into my work boots. If I'm wearing a vest I fold it up and do the same. If I'm wearing a jacket I hang it in my office. My helmet hangs on the bike. My gloves and glasses I put in the front of my batwing on the headlight housing.

If I ride for pleasure(short ride 180-250 miles, around home), and I'm just havin a drink/meal in a small town pub I wear my gear in with me, chaps and vest stay on. Gloves and glasses in the same location. Jacket if I'm wearing goes on the back of my chair I'm sitting in. Helmet hangs.

If I ride into a big city, I play it by ear. If there are other bikes around, I'll do mostly the same. If I'm parking in a large lot and staying for a while I lock it all in the saddle bags.

Every situation is different for me.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Had my helmet stolen in my first season. I either lock the helmet and jacket to the bike (rare) or take it with me wherever I go.

·
Registered
522 Posts
People suck and strike at random.

If I am going somewhere I can keep an eye on my bike I will leave the helmet on it and wear my jacket in.

I can stuff my jacket in the saddle bag if its mostly empty already. Problem is the bag seals on my strat cant keep dust and pollen out so my black jacket looks like ass if I cram it in there, so I just carry it.

My biggest problem is kids! I have two myself so I have the right to complain. I was eating the other week with my neighbor (we both ride) and this minivan of baby producers pulls up with an army of runny noses. 2 immediately went for our bikes, one tried to climb up on my neighbors.. The parents, instead of correcting the brat with a few well placed slaps to the ass instead TOOK A PIC!

I shall omit the conversation that followed.....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see a need for a conversation in that situation...just a couple of blunt statements!

·
Administrator
13,656 Posts
i never leave gear on my bike. not even at friends' houses. i either lock my helmet to the latch under my seat or take it in with me. if i have my warm weather gloves, i put them under my seat. glasses go with me. i'll either wear my jacket at my destination or take it off and carry it. i don't want to chance someone walking by with sticky fingers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts