Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My signature has stated that my "fuel tank is stock...for now" for quite some time. I've been working on changing that and have a different tank almost ready to go. I just need the weather to warm up a bit more here in southern Arizona to finish up with some clear coat.

I rolled the ugly seam edges on this tank and I really think it looks good this way. I've always hated those hideous seams on Yamaha tanks. I've tried to make it look like a factory paint job on a 1940-1950's motorcycle.....not sure I have it perfect, but it's close enough for me.

Anyway..... Here's a "not so great" pic of the tank sitting on the bike so I could do the lettering and pin striping correctly. Again, it's not clear coated yet so it looks kind of funky.....but you get the idea.

What do you think? Anything I should change before I finish up with clear?

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
I think it looks great, it flows with the rest of the bike since the seams have been rolled. A good clear coating will enhance the overall appearance in my opinion. I like the lettering and pinstriping. You do great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Keith!

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'll try it again...

·
Registered
55 Posts
how did you roll the seams? just hammer them over?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started with a pliers to get it started straight then used a body hammer and dolly....finished with a skiff of body filler in the tight areas. It's not bent all the way over....I kept the lip parallel with the tank so it'll help fill some of the gap between the tank and frame. It looks a bunch better without that seam.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Goes great with what you have done already and the design on the custom logo is real good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts