Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be both interesting & informative.
I myself had advanced first aid training as well as being a certified CPR Instructor. Because of this training I learned to be prepared cuz you never know what someone else or even YOU may need.
I have always carried on my bike a fully stocked medical kit including respirator mask with O2 & ambu bag hookup as well as a tracheal intubator. I cannot count the times I’ve been FIRST in the scene of an accident and had to triage before the professionals arrived.
Are YOU prepared if needed??

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,897 Posts
One of my saddlebags is always full with emergency stuff. I go overboard as I have the room to do it. I bought a small medical kit, (band aids, oilment, ace bandage, etc.) which in the saddlebag. Other items include: full rain suit, assorted tools (few wrenches: 8,10, 10,11,12 14), adjustable wrench, vise grips, couple screw drivers, electric tape, piece on electric wire, assorted fuses, multi folding tool that has knives on it), zip ties, rubber gloves, towels, piece of fuel line, spark plug, bailing wire (yes the type from a hay bail), some bungy cords, assorted nuts and bolts, small Atlas, plastic bags and a change of socks (I hate wet feet), quart of oil, kick stand puck. I think that's all. It all fits in one saddlebag. Yes, it's overkill. The cool thing is that in the past 5 years that I've had the 1100, except for rainsuit nothing has been used on my bike. Many times I've repaired other people's bike while on the road. They always think I'm a nut (which I am) when they see me start digging into my saddlebag, until I get them on the road. Except for a flat tire (which I have removed on side of road before) or a really major failure I can get your bike running. As you can tell I've ridden some really unreliable bikes in the past. Yes, I was a boy scout waaaay back when, actually an Eagle Scout.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I myself had advanced first aid training as well as being a certified CPR Instructor. Because of this training I learned to be prepared cuz you never know what someone else or even YOU may need.
I have always carried on my bike a fully stocked medical kit including respirator mask with O2 & ambu bag hookup as well as a tracheal intubator. I cannot count the times I’ve been FIRST in the scene of an accident and had to triage before the professionals arrived.
As I do not have the training for most of that I do not carry it. I have a basic med kit and a nice tool kit. I carry bottled water at all times and extra rain gear.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of my saddlebags is always full with emergency stuff. I go overboard as I have the room to do it. I bought a small medical kit, (band aids, oilment, ace bandage, etc.) which in the saddlebag. Other items include: full rain suit, assorted tools (few wrenches: 8,10, 10,11,12 14), adjustable wrench, vise grips, couple screw drivers, electric tape, piece on electric wire, assorted fuses, multi folding tool that has knives on it), zip ties, rubber gloves, towels, piece of fuel line, spark plug, bailing wire (yes the type from a hay bail), some bungy cords, assorted nuts and bolts, small Atlas, plastic bags and a change of socks (I hate wet feet), quart of oil, kick stand puck. I think that's all. It all fits in one saddlebag. Yes, it's overkill. The cool thing is that in the past 5 years that I've had the 1100, except for rainsuit nothing has been used on my bike. Many times I've repaired other people's bike while on the road. They always think I'm a nut (which I am) when they see me start digging into my saddlebag, until I get them on the road. Except for a flat tire (which I have removed on side of road before) or a really major failure I can get your bike running. As you can tell I've ridden some really unreliable bikes in the past. Yes, I was a boy scout waaaay back when, actually an Eagle Scout.
DANG Les!! There’s “prepared” and then there’s “neurotic”! I think I’m gonna call you
MAGYVER from now on! Lol!
Well, if anyone has an issue while at Maggie Valley, we ALL know who to go to,
”Magyverblank”. ??

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,897 Posts
I'll be ready. ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tools and rain gear. Thinking about adding a few more things. There are days when I wished I had a bagger lol

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
What I carry is dependent upon the ride. For my usual "pretty day out for a couple of hours" ride, I carry my Stockton tool kit, rain gear, first aid kit, portable compressor, air gage, jumper cables, emergency cash, and tire repair kit. It's amazing how many times my tool kit has been used to fix other people's bikes on the road. I have stocked it with some additional tools particular to the VStar (Spark plug socket, rear spring adjusting wrench) and my buddies BMW R1200RT.

For those weekend or longer trips, all the above plus an Atlas, spare charging cables for electronics, several LED flashlights (and road hazard light), extra medicines, and more other stuff than I probably should take.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I carry is dependent upon the ride. For my usual "pretty day out for a couple of hours" ride, I carry my Stockton tool kit, rain gear, first aid kit, portable compressor, air gage, jumper cables, emergency cash, and tire repair kit. It's amazing how many times my tool kit has been used to fix other people's bikes on the road. I have stocked it with some additional tools particular to the VStar (Spark plug socket, rear spring adjusting wrench) and my buddies BMW R1200RT.

For those weekend or longer trips, all the above plus an Atlas, spare charging cables for electronics, several LED flashlights (and road hazard light), extra medicines, and more other stuff than I probably should take.
Nothing wrong with being prepared, and it sounds like you are! ?

·
Registered
865 Posts
In all my Wings, I carried that white tin First Aid kit, The one with the thick RED CROSS logo upon it. It's now in the bottom of the right luggage compartment of the SVTC. I think in all the years (thankfully!), we have only used it once, when my wife got a nasty wasp sting on the left shoulder, the wasp hit her left shoulder while under way, and stung her. The stinger was still in, so I used the tweezers to remove the stinger, and then put hydrogen peroxide on the sting site. Thankfully, only something minor like that...but glad we had the kit to do roadside 'repairs'....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts