Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok folks, I finally got off the phone with Yamaha Technical and asked the BIG question...
What happens when you switch to SPORT MODE? Is it just changing the throttle hysteresis as some have suggested, OR is there MORE going on as some of us have surmised.
The Yamaha Factory Technician stated “In SPORT MODE fuel, spark advance, timing etc... are all changed.”
Basically it is just like turning a performance module ON & OFF with the flip of a switch!

I believe that’s the answer to many of those “lowballed” torque figures people have had is because they were NOT in Sport Mode. It’s not just a faster throttle response but in fact is MORE.

This probably explains why gas mileage is less in Sport Mode even when not driving any differently. It’s because it’s been “re-tuned” for performance and you’ll use more gas.... plain and simple!

Just thought you guys would want to know.

ALSO: I talked to them about the turn signal issue, the 5 WAY POINTS issue on the NAV (told them it needs 20), the fact that you can’t save a destination BY NAME only by address, the fact that you have to enter in the COUNTRY & STATE every time (it should KNOW where it’s at!), AND talked about the fact you can’t use the comm system with the CB on or everything you say gets broadcast! They need to separate the two and make comms VOX activated.

Just thought I’d let you guys know!

Ride safe!
Peace out Brothers!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I figured that was what Yamaha was doing with this being all electronic it would make no sense to just adjust the throttle rotation. They can tweak the program while still keeping it within emissions.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I figured that was what Yamaha was doing with this being all electronic it would make no sense to just adjust the throttle rotation. They can tweak the program while still keeping it within emissions.
Yep, me too. The most comments to the effect that it was 'merely' the old, 1/4 inch reduced cable Jedi Mind trick, was posted by those wishing to diminish the bike, and any new approach or benefit seen by moving to it.

You just had to ride the bike between the two Modes to know that. It's also my personal feelings that some of those demo day rides posted to YouTube, had comments by the rider, that did not reflect the actual ride experience for them. Their comments on voice, or below in their own feedback, were rather disingenuous.

1. The performance and 'sportiness' of this V-Twin...available pull of the engine, for fast overtaking of other vehicles, or merging onto highways et all.

2. Over exaggerated combustion heat effects upon the rider, and/or riding position. I have ridden the bike with my wife in temps now over 100 degrees, and even then, at no time did we feel we had to come off of the bike, or did we suffer physical damage to our bodies.

I have re-visited the vids many times...and more and more, I 'hear' that the comments were more a justification for the demo rider to walk away from the bike....'with no intention of buying it....' and that supports their head space to stay with their current ride, and what would have been a bruise to their pocket book. That's my take, now that I have thousands of miles experience in the saddle of my own 2018 SVTC. I just re-watch those vids...and think sadly, what a disservice they actually are to the viewer. How many SVTC's were not put into the hands of viewers that truly would have loved every aspect of one, but ONLY for having watched some of those vid bloogers's vid output. Sad...truly sad. :(

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree Bill. There would be no reason to just change the hysteresis of the throttle when you basically can do a “performance module” tune and truly get it right while keeping emission standards.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, me too. The most comments to the effect that it was 'merely' the old, 1/4 inch reduced cable Jedi Mind trick, was posted by those wishing to diminish the bike, and any new approach or benefit seen by moving to it.

You just had to ride the bike between the two Modes to know that. It's also my personal feelings that some of those demo day rides posted to YouTube, had comments by the rider, that did not reflect the actual ride experience for them. Their comments on voice, or below in their own feedback, were rather disingenuous.

1. The performance and 'sportiness' of this V-Twin...available pull of the engine, for fast overtaking of other vehicles, or merging onto highways et all.

2. Over exaggerated combustion heat effects upon the rider, and/or riding position. I have ridden the bike with my wife in temps now over 100 degrees, and even then, at no time did we feel we had to come off of the bike, or did we suffer physical damage to our bodies.

I have re-visited the vids many times...and more and more, I 'hear' that the comments were more a justification for the demo rider to walk away from the bike....'with no intention of buying it....' and that supports their head space to stay with their current ride, and what would have been a bruise to their pocket book. That's my take, now that I have thousands of miles experience in the saddle of my own 2018 SVTC. I just re-watch those vids...and think sadly, what a disservice they actually are to the viewer. How many SVTC's were not put into the hands of viewers that truly would have loved every aspect of one, but ONLY for having watched some of those vid bloogers's vid output. Sad...truly sad. /forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
Get em Joe! It’s almost like you can hear them saying (hand slowly waving) “You don’t need that bike.... this is not the motorcycle you’re looking for... move along..”. ROFLMBO!
Great analogy!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Get em Joe! It’s almost like you can hear them saying (hand slowly waving) “You don’t need that bike.... this is not the motorcycle you’re looking for... move along..”. ROFLMBO!
Great analogy!
LOLOLOL 'Yes...this is not the motorcycle we were looking/waiting for,...yes..." "We will now move along....".....

Good one!

Chewy goes' "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh", and smiles... :)

Joe

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great analogy!
LOLOLOL 'Yes...this is not the motorcycle we were looking/waiting for,...yes..." "We will now move along....".....

Good one!

Chewy goes' "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh", and smiles... /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Joe
Ahhh but REMEBER Obi-Wan’s statement..... “it only works on the WEAK MINDED”!
🤣🤣

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think I just figured out where Yamaha came up with the 34 MPG estimated.

They ran the bike in sport mode, that way those who want to stay in sport mode know to expect around 34 MPG and those who stay in touring mode get a nice fat bonus in excellent fuel mileage.

Makes sense to me knowing that Yamaha has remapped the ECU in sport mode vs. touring mode.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

They ran the bike in sport mode, that way those who want to stay in sport mode know to expect around 34 MPG and those who stay in touring mode get a nice fat bonus in excellent fuel mileage.

Makes sense to me knowing that Yamaha has remapped the ECU in sport mode vs. touring mode.
I think you’re probably right Bill. The Sport Mode mileage is right about at that.
Maybe even a little less of you “ride it like you stole it” like Rich (GArider) does!

·
Registered
809 Posts

That makes sense...

·
Registered
19 Posts

That thought occurred to me too after riding the bike. A worst case scenario for those in sport mode or heavy handed on the throttle, but a much higher mpg for those with a little restraint.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That thought occurred to me too after riding the bike. A worst case scenario for those in sport mode or heavy handed on the throttle, but a much higher mpg for those with a little restraint.
Hey Rich (GArider) I hope you’re listening!
There’s nothing wrong with your bike, it’s your “wrist twitch” that’s killing your gas mileage. At least you’re having FUN right?!!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey Rich (GArider) I hope you’re listening!
There’s nothing wrong with your bike, it’s your “wrist twitch” that’s killing your gas mileage. At least you’re having FUN right?!!
Hehehehe, my ribs, my ribs. Stop. I think I developing a finger twitch now. Hehehe 😜

·
Registered
445 Posts
Boy I am glad the week is over! Who gets it next week.
At least I still get better that stated from Yamaha but not by much. I did want to report that I am getting 38.79 now after the long wide open run up 75N for 2 1/2 hours at 80 mph.
Now back to sport mode and riding it like I stole it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you’re probably right Bill. The Sport Mode mileage is right about at that.
Maybe even a little less of you “ride it like you stole it” like Rich (GArider) does!
I do put on a hell of a show when riding. I think there is 3 modes. Touring, Sport and GARider mode.
That last “Mode” will get you TICKETS! Lol

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boy I am glad the week is over! Who gets it next week.
At least I still get better that stated from Yamaha but not by much. I did want to report that I am getting 38.79 now after the long wide open run up 75N for 2 1/2 hours at 80 mph.
Now back to sport mode and riding it like I stole it.
Almost 39mpg at 80 cruising speed? That’s actually good.
Maybe you’re actually learning to.... oh wait! .... “Now back to Sport & riding like you stole it.” Oh well, for one bright shining BRIEF moment there was hope!
Nevermind. 🤪

1 - 20 of 23 Posts