Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bummer, I bought a new "lower" windscreen for my 1300 Deluxe and the extended-lowered brake pedal assembly and neither worked as I wanted.

The lower windshield caused so much helmet buffeting that I could not stand it. And the extended/lowered pedal hits my engine guard so I had to go back to the stock pedal assembly (btw - I even cut the pedal width short and installed the stock rubber and it still hits).
So those items are in the bin now and I'm back with stock setup. That was a couple of hundred $ wasted.

Maybe the factory designers know what they're doing when they outfit these bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I got a Memphis Shades 'fats' windshield and lowers for my VS650 last summer. I was hoping I could ride on the thruway at 75mph in relative comfort.

It took me over a month to get the windshield and the lowers adjusted just right, so the ride would be... acceptable. Spent $500 for acceptable.

Kinda disappointing overall, but it is better at 75mph than the straight windblast trying to take me off the bike. Also the windshield is good in the spring and late fall when the temp is below 50F.

I cant really say the money was wasted, because I will get some use out of it. BTW, you might need to experiment with your lowers and windshield more to get rid of the buffeting. Every bike and rider profile is different, for me the windshield is on the same plane as the forks, the lowers are right up to the bottom of the windshield, and side to side they closely match the curve (angle) of the bottom of the windshield. Its as if the windshield extends down over the forks around the headlight bucket. If I angle the lowers flat into the wind, or angled back too far twisted on the forks, the laminar airflow collapses and I get head buffeting.

I dont like riding with it on the bike, it sucks the life out of the 650. Id would much rather ride the bike with no windshield at 60mph on a secondary road, than ride it at 75 to 80mph on a divided highway.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,349 Posts
I buy way too many gloves. I have gloves for any and every riding weather. Some I like and some that have only been worn once or twice. And most were not cheap. The ones I don't really use, so a waste of money, have a comfort flaw. They felt good in the store but didn't work well on bike, seam on inner thumb rubs on throttle hand, fingers too long, fingers too short, etc. Just went and counted, 11 pair.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I bought a ‘top of the line’ license plate frame with LED lights for brake enhancement and it was a piece of junk. Didn’t spend a ton of money on it, and had it wired up professionally, but I kept my receipt so it’s going back. I’ve been fortunate that most of the stuff I’ve bought for my 950 has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,726 Posts
I'm a cheapskate, A couple of years ago I bought a metal detector and have used it exactly once. On my carpet with a ring, a key and couple of coins. It is hard to carry on a bike.

·
2,472 Posts
I picked up a GoPro knockoff that I tried attaching to my handlebars exactly once. Couldn't get the mounts stable enough to use and I will NOT fasten it to my helmet, so it's in a box in the basement somewhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought a chipotle burrito and somehow peppers got in there. You can't exactly unfold it and pick them out then reassemble so...bust!
lol.

Off topic! Alert! Alert! Alert! >:)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
is the fake GooPhro waterproof?

you could put it outside somewhere and use it for security camera

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
bevo, it lit up all the way across the lower section for two days, then each LED quit working until it got down to three lights working within a two month period. Upon contacting the seller, the item is now listed as ‘no longer available’ through eBay. I’ll take a pic if you’d still like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dont like riding with it on the bike, it sucks the life out of the 650. Id would much rather ride the bike with no windshield at 60mph on a secondary road, than ride it at 75 to 80mph on a divided highway.
Interesting. I removed the National Cycles Plexistar II screen that came on my bike. My thinking was: I used to ride an R6. It has a tiny windscreen and didn't do much. I can ride this V-star without a screen no sweat.

As I ride around the city and on secondary roads it's ok like i figured, but once I reach hwy speeds, i feel like I'll get blown off the bike. I'm going to add the screen back and test it out but figure I'll discover the same as you and just want to stick to secondary roads anyway.

Funny thing is, on the R6 that tiny windscreen directed the wind right at my chest at high speeds. The force from the wind was so much, it kind of lifted my body just enough to take the weight off my arms (crotch rocket position). The R6's screen actually did help without causing any noticeable drag. It was actually relatively calm at speed on that bike. But I guess it's was built for that. LOL.

As for wasting money. I bought 2 different tail light setups to test out on my bike. One of them is clearly going to be wasted. about $50 only. I also bought some grips that I couldn't use because the grips I had on the bike had and integrated throttle sleeve. The new grips relied on using the stock throttle sleeve which i don't have. I returned them, so my loss was only that of the shipping charges to send it back...about $15.

·
2,472 Posts
is the fake GooPhro waterproof?

you could put it outside somewhere and use it for security camera
It did come with a waterproof case so that's an option. It was only $50 so not a big deal. The camera does work surprisingly well if I could get it mounted better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It did come with a waterproof case so that's an option. It was only $50 so not a big deal. The camera does work surprisingly well if I could get it mounted better.
one of the mounts I have for my Gopro is on a wristband style velcro strap. I wrap it around the chinbar on my helmet so there is nothing permanent on it. It works great and since its on my helmet, it's very stable. I know you said you don't want to mount anything to your helmet. Just throwing that out there as an idea in case the reason was that you didn't want to anything permanent on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I buy way too many gloves. I have gloves for any and every riding weather. Some I like and some that have only been worn once or twice. And most were not cheap. The ones I don't really use, so a waste of money, have a comfort flaw. They felt good in the store but didn't work well on bike, seam on inner thumb rubs on throttle hand, fingers too long, fingers too short, etc. Just went and counted, 11 pair.
Have a garage sale. I have one pair of gloves and cool weather is on the horizon. Yesterday, bought one of those tube scarves and goggles with foam in them to prevent my eyes from watering but a warmer pair of gloves will be necessary. The weather is super right now in my region so I am riding as much as I can. We have had a record breaking summer so far. Very little rain too.

·
2,472 Posts
one of the mounts I have for my Gopro is on a wristband style velcro strap. I wrap it around the chinbar on my helmet so there is nothing permanent on it. It works great and since its on my helmet, it's very stable. I know you said you don't want to mount anything to your helmet. Just throwing that out there as an idea in case the reason was that you didn't want to anything permanent on it.

Good idea, but I wear a half helmet - no chin bar. Like I said, not a big deal. I may find a use for it someday.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a Honda F6B. Was thinking that my girlfriend and I would be able to take some nice long trips on it. So far it's collected dust in the garage and I've put 150 miles on it? And I can't seem to sell it either...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts