Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a search for this topic but couldn't find one.

So I used to ride a sport bike so I have my full face Icon helmet but my wife insist that it doesn't "match" the cruiser look. Anyways, we went shopping for a helmet for her and we went with a Bell B-24 half face helmet for her. And I'm holding off on mine for now. Just out of curiosity, what type of helmet do you guys use? And what brands are comfortable/look good? I'm not big into graphix, my personal favorite is just matte black.

·
Registered
451 Posts
With half helmets the thing you are gonna be looking for is a slimmer profile to make less mushroom head. I think the bell drifter is a good one for that,make sure not to throw away your fullface because you will want it in the cold.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I myself use a bell drifter half helmet a outlaw half helmet and a hjc full face.My wife uses a bell drifter and a hjc full face.Hope this helps and I agree with Jesse with the slim profile helmets.I don't like the mushroom head look.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I wear a full face Shoei RF-1000 (black and graphics free), I don't care if I don't "look the part". I will also wear a half helmet occasionally but I won't ride the same way as when I have the full face on. I have a lot more fun riding when wearing the full face. Go with your gut,,,,, unless your whipped. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a Shoei RF-1100 Sever II, which has some Halloween centric graphics. Only wear it when it gets cooler though.

My half helmet is an Outlaw with a pissed off eagle with American Flag wings. Clearly I don't care about mushroom head or graphics.

I recommend doing some shopping on line and reading lots of reviews to weed out low quality, then going and actually trying them on. They will not all fit you proplerly, and fit is almost as important as how cool you look.....! :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a Vega open face......Only real reason I got it was because it fit good and the dealer I bought my bike at had a 1/2 off sale on them and I needed something..It's really comfortable and I can wear it when it's warm or cool, because it has the vents that actually make a good difference.

Problem is, it is really high-profile. Normally I don't care too much on how something looks, but this adds an extra 5-6 inches to the top of my head, lol.

Daytona is supposed to offer the lowest profile helmets while still being D.O.T. approved...Will most likely pick up one of them before riding season..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Seven Zero Seven full-face helmet. Like Strat, I have a 1/2 helmet I wear periodically (just around town) on hot days in the summer, and I am also unconcerned if I don't look the part.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got 3, a Z1R Nomad halfie that's REALLY used, a new HJC Blade halfie that I bought last year and I think I've only worn it once, and a Fulmer open-face that I had a headset in when I had the Venture. I really like the Z1R because it's vented, as is the Fulmer. The HJC was a closeout buy at a Fla. dealer last year, think I gave $40.00 for it. I just haven't ridden enough this year to get it out and "break it in". I feel like I'm being smothered with a full-face, but they do offer a lot more protection than anything else. Just make sure whatever you buy fits properly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nolan N42 open face. Comfortable. Safe. Reasonable.
My wife has same.
Have several half's, don't use them anymore. Must be getting old. Or better educated. Or more henpecked. Take your pick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Roadliner but the wife and me both have Icon full face helmets. Dot and Snell rated for the best protection we can buy. I'm more into safety then looks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have an Arai Vector full face. I've only even worn full face helmets and well I've only ever owned sport(y) bikes prior to my 'Liner. I love my Arai. It's by far the most comfortable full-face helmet I've owned. The thing is I'm drawn toward a halfie now that I'm a cruiser guy :p . I'm thinking I'd probably wear a halfie when it's super hot and I'm just riding local surface streets. I also think it might leave me feeling unprotected coming from a full face. My wife wears a 3/4 HJC that she says is very comfortable on her. A full-face helmet makes her feel claustrophobic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I got started back into riding in '02 I got the dealer to throw in a couple of halfies with the deal. When the wife took her first ride with me we got back and she said you gotta find me something better than this, this thing's killin' me with the noise! She went thru several 3/4 open face before finding "matching" Fulmers that we could put the headsets in(she said we looked "cute"). In the couple of years we used the headsets, for some reason mine just kept coming unplugged, darndest thing,,,,,. Somewhere I've still got the first helmet I ever had, a gold 1968 Arthur Fulmer halfie with the "Snell" approved sticker from waaay back when they were the approval agency.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I always ride with sunglasses, and the wife had a face shield on all of hers, mandatory eye protection in Ky but no helmet law. She's had some ear surgeries in the past and the wind noise REALLY got to her with the halfies.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think anyone why doesn't wear a helmet is asking for trouble but it's nice to have a choice instead of a law manadating it. I've seen road rash and the injuries from just a simple fall. I always ride with Cordura pants, full armor, full helmet crash bars, and an airbag jacket. If the day comes that I'm in an accident atleast I know I did everything I could to protect myself. Anyway, I would suggest air plugs for the wife. Also, Icon makes the Airframe with an excellent air flow design that keeps you cool in the summer and the flow can be adjusted. It's also a very comfortable helmet and comes in matt back. If you are set on a less restrictive helmet then look into a modular. There are some that convert to a 3/4 design but they are not Snell rated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dot and Snell rated helmets are tested to withstand a certain force from each testing agency. I'm sure there are helmets that use better materials that exceed these standards. Also, in a more expensive helmet you're paying for name, higher quality materials, sometimes graphics and usually for a lighter helmet.

·
Administrator
13,680 Posts
Here's a spin on this topic; I don't mean to hijack either. The cost of helmets is all over the spectrum. Does this mean that a very expensive one offers more protection than a cheaper one? If they have the DOT or SNELL seal of approval should they not all be the same?
adding to the previous post, you're paying higher for style and comfort. some higher priced helmets come with communication devices built in, or ready for them. some are more aerodynamic and creates less drag on your head and neck giving you a more comfortable ride. some do a much better job of blocking out wind and road noise. and with SNELL helmets, their testing is stricter than DOT stamped helmets so they tend to cost more in general.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts