Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I have the Raspberry Red Star Venture Transcontinental and to go with it we have Arai Corsair X helmets with Sena 30K bluetooth communicators.

These helmets are very visible and they flow a ton of air through the vents. Very comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My wife and I have the Raspberry Red Star Venture Transcontinental and to go with it we have Arai Corsair X helmets with Sena 30K blue tooth communicators.

These helmets are very visible and they flow a ton of air through the vents. Very comfortable.
I must be too old school. I have a white 3/4 HJC with boom mic and use the corded unit for the bike. It also makes drinking something while riding MUCH easier!
I’m used to 10hrs in the saddle 2 up on trips so battery powered does not work for me.
Since the reason Yamaha has the corded units ia because throughput was not sufficient to able to use all the functions including vox control of functions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Shoei all the way. X-11, Neotec, and a 3/4 RJ Platinum (for around town). Great helmets.

Bought a Bell Revolver when I wanted a modular. It is a horrible helmet. Found the new Neotec on eBay in my size for $300, and junked the Bell.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must be too old school. I have a white 3/4 HJC with boom mic and use the corded unit for the bike. It also makes drinking something while riding MUCH easier!
I’m used to 10hrs in the saddle 2 up on trips so battery powered does not work for me.
Since the reason Yamaha has the corded units ia because throughput was not sufficient to able to use all the functions including vox control of functions.
I just can't talk myself into being tied to a corded hook up. I don't really use all the features of the infotainment and what I do use does not require the corded hook up. As for talk time the 30K is rated for up to 13 hours of talk time via bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I just can't talk myself into being tied to a corded hook up. I don't really use all the features of the infotainment and what I do use does not require the corded hook up. As for talk time the 30K is rated for up to 13 hours of talk time via bluetooth.
Ok, so it suits your needs given some functions you don’t use. I’m a tech junkie so LOVE showing others what this baby can do! Most of the time they just shake their head in disbelief saying “DUDE! That’s INSANE!” 🙂
I take it you don’t use the C.B. in a group situation for comms?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
.... Arai Corsair X helmets ....
read a lot of good things about Arai helmets. Do those stickers come off easy?

I have an issue with being a walking billboard for anyone, no matter how much I like their products.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
read a lot of good things about Arai helmets. Do those stickers come off easy?

I have an issue with being a walking billboard for anyone, no matter how much I like their products.
The front ones would likely come off pretty easy if you wanted to take them off, the rear ones as well. I don't mind advertising for Arai, they make an awesome helmet and they are all hand made by true craftsmen.

I believe Arai only has three people in their company that are certified to install the chin straps.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Same for us, Tony. We run the J&S 801 Premium's, and they sound super clear with the SVTC. We don't want to bother worrying about the batteries of whatever taking a powder while under way, or forgetting to plug in the headsets at the hotel/campground. Love the hard wire, cord and on-board Intercom System, including C.B.

We do lots of trips where we are in the saddle for OVER 12 hours...like going to Myrtle Beach, S.C. We just do a short snooze at a Rest Area...and are on the bike once more. That one 'iron-butt' in hotel savings, pays for the entire cost of the fuel, both ways, so we need to not worry about batteries kapluknutting....LOL.
Full Face Built with communication build into the helmet. I use this when recording because I have that goofy helmet cams attached. I also have a new 3/4 Star Motorcycles Helmet from Yamaha made by HJC. starting to wear this one more often and only using the fully face to record the rides in the HOT lanes and events, that right Chief I will be wearing the goofy helmet on the tail.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the cheapest HJC 1/2 helmet I could find. I ride alone and don't need to talk to anyone or listen to anyone. If I want to listen to someone, I just phone my daughter.....she can talk your ear off and all you have to say is "uh huh" every once in a while. I just bought a full face HJC for 30 bucks and that will be for cold weather riding. My first helmet in 1969 looked like a football helmet and we were not obliged to wear a helmet in those days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I currently ride with a silver Arai Signet X, and it won’t change if I buy the SVTC. Nor will my new Aerostich Darien gear.
We sold our old house in Oregon, so I was able to get some much needed upgrades at Christmas:grin:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I currently ride with a silver Arai Signet X, and it won’t change if I buy the SVTC. Nor will my new Aerostich Darien gear.
We sold our old house in Oregon, so I was able to get some much needed upgrades at Christmas/forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Well you clearly upgraded your location too if you’re in Colorado.
Don’t know how long you’ve been there, but you’re in for a real treat this autumn. I’ve ridden through the state 1st week of October and it was STUNNING!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don’t know how long you’ve been there, but you’re in for a real treat this autumn. I’ve ridden through the state 1st week of October and it was STUNNING!
True ChiefGunner. My wife and I are born and bred Oregonians, but we’ve lived in Colorado for 7 years now. It’s great when the Aspen change, and this state has great riding almost all year round.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
True ChiefGunner. My wife and I are born and bred Oregonians, but we’ve lived in Colorado for 7 years now. It’s great when the Aspen change, and this state has great riding almost all year round.
I know it does! We took 25N towards Pueblo and then half way up we cut across a mountain pass and ran into a herd of cattle being driven down out of the mountains by a group of Gouchos. It was crazy being in the small road with cattle going around us while we sat still. Then once we got up to Interstate 50 we headed West and camped out at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. We then continued out to Montrose up through Monarch Pass, 11,633ft elevation! Once we got to 550, we went South and camped out 4 days in Ouray. Natural hot springs and totally stunning! Once we left there we headed South up through Red Mountain Pass and down through Durango and hitting 4 Corners.
It so want to go back through Colorado in autumn. It was EXTREMELY hard having to head home!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know it does! We took 25N towards Pueblo and then half way up we cut across a mountain pass and ran into a herd of cattle being driven down out of the mountains by a group of Gouchos. It was crazy being in the small road with cattle going around us while we sat still. Then once we got up to Interstate 50 we headed West and camped out at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. We then continued out to Montrose up through Monarch Pass, 11,633ft elevation! Once we got to 550, we went South and camped out 4 days in Ouray. Natural hot springs and totally stunning! Once we left there we headed South up through Red Mountain Pass and down through Durango and hitting 4 Corners.
It so want to go back through Colorado in autumn. It was EXTREMELY hard having to head home!
Sounds like a great route, and Ouray (yoor-aye) and the Million Dollar Hwy are amazing!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not too worried about battery life, as the sena units can be powered while in use. So added a removable clip on the back of the helmet, and I'm using some lightweight 6700mah usb packs, but 2mah would be enough to fully charge a sena unit.
Normally I don't find this needed, as when I stop for food or pretty much anything I will throw it onto the charger, I have the 10s currently, and it has a slow charger, compred to the 30k fast charge.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm not too worried about battery life, as the sena units can be powered while in use. So added a removable clip on the back of the helmet, and I'm using some lightweight 6700mah usb packs, but 2mah would be enough to fully charge a sena unit.
Normally I don't find this needed, as when I stop for food or pretty much anything I will throw it onto the charger, I have the 10s currently, and it has a slow charger, compred to the 30k fast charge.
And you’re using this setup on a new SVTC? If that’s the case, there are VOX Command functions that will NOT work. This is WHY Yamaha went with a corded connection to the SVTC because the blue tooth connection couldn’t handle the required data throughput.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Late to the party - still catching up on all of the threads.

Got a new Shoei Neotec II modular. Lots of $$, but I got 12 years out of my old HJC full face, so I suspect this one will last as long or more. Holy crap that things is comfortable and quiet. I love the integrated dark visor too. Wife got a 3/4 Shoei (350, on sale for 175). We're using the Yamaha corded set up and like it so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts