Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a bike like the XV1900 Stratoliner etc. that came in at 550 lb wet. The typical 800 lb wet weight of bikes in this genre is just stupid and does not bring anything other than increased fuel consumption and decreased performance. Neither are positives. Only positive aspect with the heavy weight is better suspension compliance, but this is usually negated by sub-standard suspension elements.

Registered
But your driving conditions are different than mine, I want the heavier weight . It makes it much more stable going down the interstate at 80+ mph with the turbulence coming off the 18 wheel big trucks.
Lighter bikes get blown all over the road.

Registered
2015 V Star 950, 2013 Suzuki S40
I agree with you 100%, this is why I added comfort and cargo to my 950, essentially turning it into a Tourer. Even at 650lbs it is heavy riding two up in traffic, and I'm relatively young and strong. I don't know how people manage 900lbs Harleys.

For my daily, I have a Suzuki S40, which is just 350lbs, what a pleasure to zip around on around the city and urban highways.

Registered
'18 SVTC
It's all in the distribution of weight and seat position. My SVTC feels lighter than my Nomad did, even while weighing nearly 200 pounds more.
And I'm getting better fuel economy with the 1900cc engine (40-42 mpg) vs the Nomad's 1600 (38-40).

Reactions: Jspree

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can guarantee that your fuel consumption would improve if you dropped 200 lb off your SVTC, unless you live and ride in an area that is flat. Here, where the road constantly change undulation, weight has a measurable impact. Also, dropping 200 lb would make for much better acceleration, better stopping, quicker and easier change of direction - all positives in my book.

Registered
'18 SVTC
I can guarantee that your fuel consumption would improve if you dropped 200 lb off your SVTC, unless you live and ride in an area that is flat. Here, where the road constantly change undulation, weight has a measurable impact. Also, dropping 200 lb would make for much better acceleration, better stopping, quicker and easier change of direction - all positives in my book.
So many factors involved in fuel economy, one big player being throttle and speed. I have a light right hand, coast as much as I can coming to stops and generally not in a hurry. If we were to ride together you'd probably be half finished with lunch by the time I caught up to you. :)

My fuel economy is not greatly impacted whether I'm riding 2 up or solo, but as you mention, most of my usual riding is on relatively flat terrain. However, the best tank I ever got was 55 mpg in the Rocky Mountains, 2 up, extra luggage strapped all over the bike. That tankful was probably mostly downhill and lower speeds due to the crooked nature of the roads.

All that being said, I'll gladly keep my current creature comforts, reverse motor, touring trunk, saddlebags, fairing, etc. and sacrifice canyon carving performance......too old for that anyway. The bike is faster than I want or need to go at this stage in my life... Just hope to never have to pick it up any more than off the kickstand....might need to recruit some help for that.

:happynod:

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
I've got the perfect solution for y'all reducing your bike's weight, just get off and let me take it. Guaranteed to save most of you 100 pounds. Just trying to help. ;)

Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
Not really all that much.

Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Number

Registered
I'd have to agree with both @Jspree and @faffi . I found, through experience riding on lighter machines, that it wasn't until I got to a 600 lb weight that the bike didn't get blown around on the Interstate from the other traffic.

With the diecast aluminum frame of the Stratoliner weighing only 35 lbs of the total weight, I conclude the majority of the weight is in the motor. To get a lighter Strat I'd need a different (smaller?) motor.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Yamaha MT-01, a brilliant motorcycle, is based around the Warrior 1700 engine and comes in at 589 lb wet. The Warrior is 655 lbs. The Wild Star 1600, basically using the same drivetrain, is a massive 739 lbs. Obviously, the manufacturers use more of the cheap iron and less of the costly alloy and other light materials on their cruisers. No doubt you could have made the Wild Star look the same but coming in at 600 lbs.

Comparing the performance between the MT-01 and Warrior is not telling all that much, since the Warrior not only is much heavier, but its engine also make less power - 90PS / 150Nm vs 84PS / 135Nm. Still, for the heck of it:

Top speed: 130 vs 115 mph
0-140 kph (87mph) : 6.6 vs 8.6 seconds
Top gear roll-on 60-140 kph (37 to 87 mph) : 7.9 vs 9.9 seconds
Average fuel consumption: 41 vs 38 mpg

Registered
Here we don't too many hills and no mountains, the highest point in Florida is 345 feet above sea level.

• Haha
Reactions: Authentic Poser

Registered
Here we don't too many hills and no mountains, the highest point in Florida is 345 feet above sea level.
I don't know if it was true or not, but I remember getting on Disney's Space Mountain (back in 1980) which they claimed the top being the highest point in FL.

Registered
@CantRider this is near your neck of the woods.

Britton Hill is the highest natural point in the state of Florida, United States, with a summit elevation of 345 feet (105 meters) above mean sea level. Britton Hill is the lowest state highpoint in the United States,[3] 103 feet (31 m) lower than the next lowest highpoint, Ebright Azimuth in Delaware, and far lower than many skyscrapers in Miami and other urban areas of Florida.

Panoramic view of Britton Hill and Lakewood Park
The hill is located in northern Walton County near the town of Lakewood, Florida, just off County Road 285 about two miles (three kilometers) southeast of Florala, Alabama. It is inside Lakewood Park, which marks the high point and features a monument, trails, and an information board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts