Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was detailing my bike this morning and found this on top of the engine underneath the rear exhaust pipe. It's metal, 2 1/8" in diameter and 1/8" thick. What the hell?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
Exhaust gasket.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been there all this time? It couldn't have fallen off. Weird I haven't seen this.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
It's been there all this time? It couldn't have fallen off. Weird I haven't seen this.
I look past things all the time, Just ask my wife. 😁

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
does your bike have the stock exhaust?

I would guess someone took the exhaust connection off at some point, that fell out and they never fished it out from where it fell.

If it was missing your exhaust would be leaking at the back of the head. If its not, someone replaced it.

I work across the street from a GM dealership. When its nice I take a 1 mile walk around the block. Over the years I have found car parts, ball bearings and enough tools to nicely equip a tool box.

Mechanics work on vehicles, take an old part off and set it down, or set a wrench down in the engine compartment, forget its there, and when the car drives off the first turn or curve the stuff falls out in the street.

I read a few years ago the comedian Gallagher also has this habit. He cannot drive anymore for health reasons, so he does a lot of walking, and he finds car parts on the shoulder of the road, and he cant figure out "this part is necessary for the car to run - how did this part fall off, and the car kept going?!"

I also heard about a mechanic who had an old VW with a hole in the floor under the drivers side carpet. People tended to tailgate old VWs because they only have a 50 HP engine. When someone was pissing him off, he would drop old pistons and connecting rods thru the hole, and it looked like the engine was falling apart.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aftermarket pipes. I'm fairly anal. I run a tight ship. Hard to believe I haven't seen this before.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
maybe it was wedged up somewhere and just recently shook loose and fell onto of the case?

Is there any chance it fell out from between the pipe and the head? With just two studs holding the exhaust on, if the connection loosened up the gasket could fall out.

I guess its possible it fell out when the exhaust was put on, and the mechanic didnt see it fall out, and snugged things up - I would think that would noticeably leak.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the bolts were tight. Guess it was from the exhaust switch-out.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
If you want to screw with a MC rider, keep your old parts when you work on your bike

and toss them under someone's engine when their bike is parked...

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Mentioned before that I frequently find tools and screws and bolts and nails lying in the road.

If I see something on the pavement that is big enough to knock a MC rider off his bike (like me going back home later after work) I stop and clear the road.

This morning riding to work I passed something that looked like a socket in the middle of my lane. I circled around and picked it up.

It was two house keys in a leather holder, with a little metal cylinder on the key chain. I tossed it in my trunk, and when I got to work and took my gloves off, I thought maybe it was someones meds, incase they get stuck away from home and dont have their pills with them.

I have never seen this before: there is about a teaspoon of someone's ashes in the little metal container. I assume it must be part of the ashes of someones spouse or close family, or maybe someone's pet. Whoever lost this keychain is going to be very upset. IF they went through the trouble to carry it around everywhere, it means a lot to them.

Ive been trying to figure out how I can find the owner. I put a listing on craigslist, but not many people use that. No one reads the newspaper anymore. I walked over to the nearby Sheriff department substation, and there is no one there ?! Apparently the substation is not manned during the day. The township I found it in does not have their own police department.

Im kinda at a loss on how to find the person who lost this.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Mentioned before that I frequently find tools and screws and bolts and nails lying in the road.

If I see something on the pavement that is big enough to knock a MC rider off his bike (like me going back home later after work) I stop and clear the road.

This morning riding to work I passed something that looked like a socket in the middle of my lane. I circled around and picked it up.

It was two house keys in a leather holder, with a little metal cylinder on the key chain. I tossed it in my trunk, and when I got to work and took my gloves off, I thought maybe it was someones meds, incase they get stuck away from home and dont have their pills with them.

I have never seen this before: there is about a teaspoon of someone's ashes in the little metal container. I assume it must be part of the ashes of someones spouse or close family, or maybe someone's pet. Whoever lost this keychain is going to be very upset. IF they went through the trouble to carry it around everywhere, it means a lot to them.

Ive been trying to figure out how I can find the owner. I put a listing on craigslist, but not many people use that. No one reads the newspaper anymore. I walked over to the nearby Sheriff department substation, and there is no one there ?! Apparently the substation is not manned during the day. The township I found it in does not have their own police department.

Im kinda at a loss on how to find the person who lost this.
KCW, I would contact some of my local news media outlets. They LOVE heart stories like this one.
They may even mention something during one of the news casts to help locate the owner.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I don't use Facebook, but I've heard of a lot of similar situations where the owner is found using it too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts